$100 million Dragonball Z movie in production

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<a href="http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/arts/story.html?id=5d8321ec-4d55-40bd-ae6c-742949303ea9">According a news report</a> from the Montreal Gazette, Hollywood movie studio 20th Century Fox are intending to film a $100+ million live-action adaptation of <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z">Dragonball Z</a> in the Canadian city during 2008. No more details are provided, but it's explicitly stated that the movie will be based on Akira Toriyama's original story.

Umm... Cool! I never thought this would get made - but I guess since Transformers made a bit of money, this kind of thing is in right now. Just... $100 million?! I hope this doesn't suck.

Paul said:
Umm... Cool! I never thought this would get made - but I guess since Transformers made a bit of money, this kind of thing is in right now. Just... $100 million?! I hope this doesn't suck.

Is $100 million not enough? haha. I don't know the general cost of mainstream movies like this.

It'll be interesting alright, can't wait, as I missed all of Dragonball on TV, and the chance of buying it on DVD is out of the question because of Funimations 'demastered' versions. So this is my chance to see it : )!

I can't wait to find out who the leads will be played by, fascinating stuff.

ah the dragonball Z movie finally appears, 4 years too late

2008 time for toonami to dust off the bluewater dubs and air them to death again? (not that there was much left to kill after Blue Water was done with it)

Hmm. . .Live Action Power-ups. It can't be a bad thing. .Can it?!?!

So in 2009. We have two anime/live action adaptions. Monster and Dragon Ball releases. I wonder if any more are going to pop up.

Paul said:
but I guess since Transformers made a bit of money,

Sorry to sound like a jerk, but Transformers is the 29th Highest Grossing Movie Worldwide. Third Highest Grossing movie this year, behind Shrek The Third, and Spiderman 3. And has made almost $700 Million with a Imax Release this month, and with a budget under $150 Million. It didn't make a bit of money, it made more then Paramount expected, a lot more.

DBZ is either going to be really cheezy or mediocre. I doubt it will be great, just because things are going to be cut in this trillogy(Which I hope $100 Million isn't for all 3) that will make me mad, and the actors may not fit with what in my mind is DB. So, yeah.[/url]

I dont think it's 4 years too late at all, i think now is the perfect timing for it.

Dragonballs fanbase is as big as it ever was, its just changed, now having almost a cult status.

and yeh with the success transformers and success of all things comic book related hollywood is finally learning how to make a decent adaptations.

i really think this is immense news, and after years of having comic book movies stuffed down are throats i really believe anime to hollywood really could be the next big thing... here's hoping!

Depends how they do it really. It could either go the way of Spirderman and be a hit. Or the way of Catwoman or Dare Devil and flop like a drunk pancake.

Still, they are putting money into it and it can only bring good.

I'm absolutely terrified. Thrilled, too.

I wonder what the soundtrack will be like? Can we expect similar orchestrations to those that featured in the original Japanese anime, or will it pay homage to Bruce Falcouner's efforts?

My money's on a "rocked-out" soundtrack.

I've always been a bit negative on the idea of having a DBZ Live action movie, I remember rumours before and shrugged it off thinking it would be way to expensive. However it seems my nightmare may be realised.
If this goes ahead, I'm not looking forward to the air fights ¬_¬

>>Xel<< said:
I've always been a bit negative on the idea of having a DBZ Live action movie, I remember rumours before and shrugged it off thinking it would be way to expensive. However it seems my nightmare may be realised.
If this goes ahead, I'm not looking forward to the air fights ¬_¬

CG will be used heavily i presume, but as Transformers has shown us it can look fantastic.

hmmm this news is surely a big suprise....
i hope it stays true to the original work, and also like others have said,....not cheesy.

the matrix trilogy had some dbz-style fight scenes, and they didnt seem bad, so there is one hope there.....

Ninja Boy! said:
hmmm this news is surely a big suprise....
i hope it stays true to the original work, and also like others have said,....not cheesy.

the matrix trilogy had some dbz-style fight scenes, and they didnt seem bad, so there is one hope there.....

Well you see, I was thinking that. But the Neo vs Smith air fight didn't do much for me, but we can only wait and see, I guess.

very interesting!, i think its probbly a few years too late. they sure are running out of ideas for films these days thou, things are looking up for anime! ^_^

Hmmm i'm pretty sceptical of this to be honest, i mean Transformers kinda worked live-action because CGI looks "realistic" for robots. We still havent quite reached the level (at least i think) to which CGI can make realistic humans.
And yeah i agree with you Xel, i sniggered during the Neo flying fight scene, it was so ridiculous and fake compared to the others.

And if they're not going to use CGI then its going to be wire work and.....well i really cant imagine them trying DBZ fight scenes with wire work, it'd be like flies in a spider's web.

I just wish Hollywood would keep their mitts off anime and manga titles. Battle Royale worked because it was still pretty much grounded in reality but other titles like DBZ just wont work, they're too surreal and over the top. I've heard rumours of a NGE and GITS live action films being in the works as well.......*cries*

Back