Your viewing journal

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Swordsmith Village Arc episode 2 Spiteful crow.

My Clueless First Friend episode 3 Purr and pool.

One Piece episode 1058 Peeking.

Uncle from Another World episodes 1-13 (Complete. This was a good watch despite some initial doubts, with plenty of SEGA references and fun character interactions.) 4/5

Vampire Knight
episodes 1-6

mostly unspoiled
I looked at the comments about halfway through when I started wondering where it was going and saw RIP Ai! I thought no way and then she did! Even though it was pretty engaging throughout I don't know why the feature length instead of 3 separate episodes. MAL says it'll be 11 in the end making it basically a 13 ep season.

Megaton Musashi - Episodes 14 - 18

Time to pick this up now that its troubled release has finally come to an end. So far I'm actually enjoying this a lot and liking it more than the first half.

The Galactic Fish - Ursa Minor Blue

An interesting OVA from the early 90's and very much a pet project of creator Shigeru Tamura. Even though it's only 23 minutes long the OVA tells a lot of story and I really liked it.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury - Episode 14

I thought this was a very good episode.

Last edited:
Suzume (sub, at the cinema)
I have mixed feelings about this, there's some good things to it and stuff that I felt could have been done differently.
The romance aspect wasn't as good as his last 2, I mean they spent 2/3 days together and most of that time he was a chair! The comedy was funny, but felt misplaced sometimes dealing with such a topic, especially as this time the disaster(s) that played a major part of the plot was a very real (The 2011 Earthquake and Tsunami. The Great Kanto Earthquake of 100 years ago also was a small part of the plot), unlike the last 2. I also felt the fact she thought she had seen him before needed a better focus. It seemed weird to go after him with such a vague "I think I've seen him before" wondering rather a convincing "I've definitely seen him before". Maybe he could have been the one to save her in the past not just be waving from a distance, although the scene where the 2 Suzumes meet was beautiful so I would definitely keep that, maybe little Suzume could have accidentally picked up some mcguffin and it had to be returned and thus when the worm showed up she could see it and that drew her to the old onsen and then she could have remembered Souta and the mcguffin and that could have started the journey. As it was she was drawn to the journey and that destination, but the reason wasn't particularly clear as to why, apart from it was a door she'd been through before and thus might help her get her "chair" back, but as I said above that wasn't the strongest element of the story. Also it was a bit weird that the previous keystone was dead set against returning to its duty then suddenly decided to help her.
Suzume herself was a strong character and the friends she met were fun as she went on her journey, which was also an interesting aspect.
Art and animation were top notch as always.
7/10

Last edited:
I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too episode 3 After a Fashion.

In Another World With My Smartphone 2 episode 15 Writer.

Insomniacs after School episode 2 Stray.

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! episode 3 Taking on.

Vinland Saga Season 2 episode 39 Making up.

Vampire Knight episodes 7-13 & Vampire Knight Guilty episodes 14-16

Last edited:
In Another World With My Smartphone 2 (English Dub) Episode 13

In/Spectre Season 2 (English Dub) Episode 13

The Eminence in Shadow (English Dub) Episode 17

I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too Episode 3

In Another World With My Smartphone 2 Episode 15

Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 39

Insomniacs After School ep 2
What the cat dragged in.

Dead Mount Death Play ep 2
Peace of mind.

Skip and Loafer ep 3
Getting to know you.

The Marginal Service ep 2 (dropped)
This is just dumb. And not in a funny way. The art and animation is also poor.

Skip and Loafer episode 3 Retreat.

Tokyo Mew Mew New~♡ 2nd Season episode 15 Sisterly worry.

Vampire Knight Guilty episodes 17-26 (Complete. A flawed but watchable shoujo that was relatively entertaining despite it leaving me with mixed feelings.) 3/5

Vampire Princess Miyu OVA
episodes 1-4 (Complete. A solid OVA series with a great soundtrack - it also inspired me to check out the 1997 series next.) 3.5/5

Skip and Loafer ep3

Uncle From Another World ep13 [End]

I don't think there were any great depths to this (I certainly question how well it must go down if you don't recognise at least some of the Sega jokes), but it was nice, I hope they make more of it.

Birdie Wing ep3-4

I get that Eve moves in bad circles, but I find the references to sexual threat sour the tone a little for me whenever it comes up.

Dead Mount Death Play ep1-2

Despite sounding like someone asked a bot to generate the edgiest sounding title possible, I thought this got off to a reasonably interesting start and showed some potential, even if just as amusing trash. The second episode feels like it's walked things back a little much though and it seems like it might be on the cusp of becoming something a lot more ordinary. I'll give it another episode or two and see how it pans out, but I could see myself dropping this.

The Slime Diaries
Fun and gentle. As they're all characters we know the show can just get striaght into its silly jokes and low stakes fun. The series gets a lot of value out of Milim.

Boogiepop Phantom rewatch
Dark and twisted. Slow and deliberate. The anthology nature means some episodes are more memorable than others. The stalkery/fetish/incel/drug abuse episode is especially hard hitting now - I didn't even remember it from watching years back and now feel like I'll never forget it

Trinity Blood
Very good show. A fantastic cast, some amazing world building, some tense stories. Love the art and animation from this era.

 Suzume
There were only sub showings near me which was very annoying so I'll have to wait until a blu ray release to watch it in English. But overall I really enjoyed it. I think it's better than Weathering With You but not as good as Your Name. The animation was incredible. Really liked the characters and their dynamics. Enjoyed the humour and the action was stunning.

Last edited:
I certainly liked Suzume better on first viewing than I did Shinkai's previous effort, Weathering with You, which I felt stretched his tropes to the point of self-parody without doing anything to move them forward. Suzume is a bit more interesting in the context of Shinkai's career, nodding towards the more fantastical elements of Children Who Chase Lost Voices while being spiritually of a piece with Your Name and WwY.

It's an enjoyable two hours and I'd certainly have spent longer with the characters, but it still feels like there's nothing really new here. Amusingly, I did think that the part where Suzume kisses the chair/Souta is probably the closest we've come to physical intimacy in a Shinkai film and I stumbled upon a remark by Yoshiyuki Tomino where he comments, negatively, that Shinkai's works are all "stories about a boy and a girl who are always stretching out their hands towards each other" and yet never touching. Which crudely gets to one of my biggest gripes about his concept of romance - his characters apparently fall in love to the point of being willing to risk life and limb, but desire doesn't seem to exist in his world(s). There's never any discussion of the connotations or consequences of love; it's very superficially reciprocated but I wouldn't be surprised if they forget about each other a week later. It feels all feels very primary school, and I'm not sure if that's an accurate reflection of Shinkai's characters (who are largely school age to this point) or a flaw in Shinkai's writing. Another reason I raise this point is that Suzume was initially going to be a same-sex romance but apparently was put off by producers who didn't think Japan was ready for this. Seriously? In 2023? Despite the fact that there's no physical affection between two human bodies whatsoever? Jeez.

Anyway, it's pretty and has nice music. I'd watch it again.

BOFURI: I Don’t Want to Get Hurt, So I’ll Max Out My Defence Season 2 episode 24 Revisit. (Complete. Much like the first season this was a solid watch and I hope for a third in time.) 3.5/5

KonoSuba -An Explosion on This Wonderful World!
episode 3 Misfortune.

Vampire Princess Miyu episodes 1-14

KonoSuba: An Explosion on This Wonderful World! (English Dub) Episode 1

BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense Season 2 Episode 24 (Complete)

KamiKatsu: Working for God in a Godless World Episode 3

KonoSuba: An Explosion on This Wonderful World! Episode 3

Oshi no Ko (Japanese) - Episode 2

KonoSuba! An Explosion on This Wonderful World! (Japanese) - Episode 3

Mashle: Magic and Muscles (Japanese) - Episode 2

Skip and Loafer (Japanese) - Episode 2 - 3

Edens Zero (Season 2) (Japanese) - Episode 28

BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense. (Season 2) (English) - Episode 10

Angelic Layer (REWATCH, English dubbed) Episodes 1-2 - I love this show have watched it several times now, so cute! :)

Is the Order a Rabbit Season 1 (English subbed) Episodes 1-2 - I'm gonna actually watch the whole thing this time darnit! :)

Suzume (2022)
This is Shinkai’s seventh feature film and is his third studio production after finding mainstream success with Your Name (2016) and Weathering with You (2019). It is undoubtedly Shinkai's most thematically ambitious to date, being a full on exploration of the effects 3/11 (the 2011 Tohoku earthquakes) had on a societal level. While his previous two films had allusions to the events through use of disaster imagery; this road trip fantasy adventure features locations that were affected by disaster and the recurring use of earthquake siren warnings really grounds the film in national trauma. Although very bold, with some exciting set pieces, nice humour and as usual stunning visuals, I felt the film was a bit of a mixed bag overall.

While the director has tried to explore bold new territory, it does seem like the Covid-19 pandemic and higher-up interference affected the film in some ways. While the visuals are beautiful as expected from the director, the CG implementation is hit and miss. There are times where it blends in so well you barely register it as CG, unfortunately there’s times where the use of CG can be distracting as some of it looks a bit unfinished. One key scene has some particularly distracting CG that takes you out of the moment. Faring better is the music by Radwimps and Kazuma Jinnouchi, which is top shelf. There’s some pretty nice use of chanting that felt somewhat reminiscent of the work of Keiichi Okabe and Kenji Kawai, and can be quite mood enhancing. One thing I noticed was the lack of music video-esque interludes, which felt much closer to Shinkai’s earlier work. Speaking of which, the straight up Ghibli inspired fantasy storyline felt reminiscent of Children Who Chase Lost Voices (2011). Fans of Ghibli and Miyazaki’s work will appreciate some of the little references and nods, including the appearance of one song that had me smiling. In one scene, I noticed a nod to Horus: Prince of the Sun (1968), which, given all the other nods, in addition to a Toei Doga esque talking cat with Daijin, is more likely to be intentional.

I think what brings the film down for me is the pacing, which can be quite rushed. As a road trip adventure, the protagonist travels to different areas of Japan which are full of striking imagery and have been affected by 3/11 in some form or another. However, just the film starts to scratch the surface, the plot takes centre stage, which can make it somewhat difficult to invest in the characters. It also feel like while Shinkai tried to distance himself from the usual boy-meets-girl set up for the narrative, even stating in an interview that he wanted a sisterhood style story, the execs thought “isn’t that too early” and wanted something more familiar, though this does result in a lack of focus. His previous two films were able to balance plot and character in an effortless manner, while Suzume struggles in places. Although the lack of a romantic approach is not exactly a bad thing, and there are some nice character bonding moments, they are generally brief, which is a bit of a shame. It does feel as if there was probably a lot left on the cutting room floor, maybe it should’ve been a TV series or given a longer runtime.

I wouldn’t say Suzume is a bad film, it’s got great animation, beautiful music and explores ambitious concepts with some nice moments of humour that give it a real rollercoaster vibe. However the pacing and character writing does falter to some degree due to the emphasis on plot over character, which does make Suzume a little lacking in some areas. I think now is time for Shinkai to either go back to telling stories on a smaller scale or return to his indie roots to avoid studio interference. It’s a shame that we live in a world where a girl on chair story is easier to get made over a sapphic road trip film, imagine an anime style Thelma and Louise (1989)?

Maybe a rewatch will probably change my opinion on the film, however one thing that is entirely not an issue with the film itself that bothered me was the subtitle typesetting. When signs appear, they are displayed with brackets, however with italicised dialogue it’s a bit inconsistent, some does and some doesn’t, which can be a little distracting during scenes that were probably very hard hitting for the Japanese audience. It kind of makes me wish AL / Gkids were able to licence the film as their QC is generally at a higher standard compared to CR, though given Shinkai’s popularity and Sony’s monopoly it was likely unavoidable.

Last edited:
Back