The Gundam Thread

Gundam Info's YouTube will be offering Witch From Mercury season one to pretty much everywhere starting 31st December. However there are caveats.

About a month in they started doing streaming premieres roughly half an hour after Japanese broadcast. These were region locked to parts of Asia but can be viewed via VPN. Rather than just make all these globally avaliable day one they'll be releasing season one from the beginning with a new ep every Saturday. This ends roughly when season 2 starts broadcast. However no clue if they'll just straight continue. It feels like this is mainly about keeping the show relevant during the hiatus.

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 20.02.05.png
ITV has all of Reconguista in G available for streaming. Frankly I don't know why they'd go for that one that's cool. Somebody's first exposure to anime is going to be Nick Klim and that'll be interesting.

They've gone for that one as they're in partnership with Anime Limited and this is the only Gundam series AL own the UK & Ireland streaming rights for.
Yeah, they licensed it outright in 2014. Those Vimeo uploads were in huge demand and some American fans got pissy we were getting it and not them.

===

Crunchyroll uploaded a clip from ep 1 of the Mercury dub and I'm really mixed. Haven't had time to watch the full ep but my issues from the clip.

1. Suletta's voice is off. It's too 'uwu' whereas in Japanese she's a bundle of nerves. Could pick up later but we'll see.

2. When Guel asks her if she knows who he is her original line is a "Um...a pushy suitor?". It speaks of how oblivious she is to the school's status quo. The dub changes this to. "I don't know. You seem kind of pathetic". The original line is an unintentional insult. The latter is targeted. It's the kind of thing I really dislike from Funi dubs. Dialogue informs character; what a character wouldn't say is just as important as what they would. Really feels like the dub overreached here.

Something I feel worth pointing out- Google OS seems to track what I say on Twitter and target ads/YouTube recommendations based on it. Happens very consistently.

I bring this up because now I'm getting clips of Japanese VAs in recent shows going "Oh that totally wasn't in the script. I adlibbed over the original line and it made it to broadcast."

Stop attacking my argument, facts!

I'm concerned that there's still no sign of a soundtrack CD for Witch from Mercury. I hope they're not going to do something annoying like bundle a mini-soundtrack with each volume of the Blu-rays. Has that been done for Gundam shows previously?

I'm concerned that there's still no sign of a soundtrack CD for Witch from Mercury. I hope they're not going to do something annoying like bundle a mini-soundtrack with each volume of the Blu-rays. Has that been done for Gundam shows previously?
There's loads of Gundam OSTs on Spotify, so it's not like they keep them hidden away. Unlike Demon Slayer which is still only available via the purchasing the Blu-ray, apart from here for some reason! AL started adding soundtracks and then even swapping out DVDs for them in their UEs and CEs, but didn't bother with DS when that's what happened elsewhere, bizarre!

Anyway, maybe they're waiting on part 2, but for the moment there's this 2 track single out:

They don't mention any soundtrack content with the BD listings (which are quite detailed) so I'm guessing they're just waiting for the second part before announcing the details of the music releases outside of the OP/ED?

R

Back