UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Seeing a fair bit of criticism towards the AL sale here and especially on Blu-ray.com and to defend AL a bit, I don't know why people have so overly exaggerated expectations of any non-Christmas AL sale. It seemed some people here and over there were expecting to drop like £200 - 300 on stuff when the standard format for sales outside the Christmas one since I have been using their store the last couple of years has been more or less the same as this one. BOGOF SEs, a couple of selected CEs at a lower price, a mystery box or two for fun, and then most often an EB redux of recent titles (the one thing I agree is a bit weird isn't part of the sale). Sure, that isn't much if you are a seasoned collector since you most likely already own all the "interesting" titles, but if you're new to the game then these sales are kinda dope to get your collection going.

Seeing a fair bit of criticism towards the AL sale here and especially on Blu-ray.com and to defend AL a bit, I don't know why people have so overly exaggerated expectations of any non-Christmas AL sale. It seemed some people here and over there were expecting to drop like £200 - 300 on stuff when the standard format for sales outside the Christmas one since I have been using their store the last couple of years has been more or less the same as this one. BOGOF SEs, a couple of selected CEs at a lower price, a mystery box or two for fun, and then most often an EB redux of recent titles (the one thing I agree is a bit weird isn't part of the sale). Sure, that isn't much if you are a seasoned collector since you most likely already own all the "interesting" titles, but if you're new to the game then these sales are kinda dope to get your collection going.

I'm kinda glad it was relatively low key this time around tbh as I'm not doing great financially atm 😅 I'll be sure to save up for the Christmas sale though :)

Yeah, I was wondering why so many people had high expectations when AL have only ever gone all out at Christmas. This is exactly what I was expecting and that’s fine. Maybe you could accuse AL of hyping it up a little too much but it wouldn’t be the first time and ultimately that’s just business.

Is there any possibility of Anime Limited licensing Aho Girl.

Been watching some funny moments on YouTube and think it's bloody hilarious.
Crunchyroll owns the rights to the series, but it's not known if Discotek got the sub-license recently or before Crunchyroll was bought by Sony (which would make a difference in whether AL would be able to get it or not).

It was hyped up from a month ago! Save the date! The 'sale' is a damp squib.

AL sale is (almost) as expected for their Summer Sale tbh

Shame there wasnt any Early Bird prices like last time but a sale is still a sale.

Do feel a mix of; AL Christmas Sale, Weekly Deals and MVM's DOTW the anime community is gradually becoming worse when it comes to price expectations and sales

Then again I cant talk as my Anime Purchases have pretty much dried up over the last few years. Going from around 20~30 a year to >10 :'(

Re save the date, we get questions almost everyday asking us about what to expect cost-wise for sales/early birds etc and since cost of living is crazy at the moment - we thought it would be best to give as much visibility as possible for folk to budget appropriately if they'd like to take part in the sale. Additionally yes, we're also a business so it's important to market our sales as much as we can. We're honestly pretty grateful that people are still interested in prioritising us considering everything that's going on in the world right now.

Yeah, I was wondering why so many people had high expectations when AL have only ever gone all out at Christmas. This is exactly what I was expecting and that’s fine. Maybe you could accuse AL of hyping it up a little too much but it wouldn’t be the first time and ultimately that’s just business.

I'm sure the high expectations for this sale were generated from the scope of both the Rightstuf and Sentai Summer sales, which run for 5 weeks and includes the majority of their inventories every year, so those sales are much more on par with their Christmas Sales. In contrast, the AL Summer Sale is more like a typical Rightstuf weekend sale they have anytime during the year. Even if AL would have had their pre-orders up on the site for their later-year releases of Horimya, Mushoku Tensei, and Realist Hero, I'd have purchased those non-sale items now just to be able to use the 15% code and £100 free international shipping. But alas, only AOL has them available now, so I'll just order them over there. It's great that others can find some good bargains in this abbreviated sale; it just didn't work out at all for me, so yeah, I'm disappointed. But then, I did pickup 20 Collector's Editions during the past Christmas sale, so that has severely limited me on any AL titles I still need, too.

Last edited:
Also just to say, a big thank you in general if you've even just dipped your toe in for the sale - we seriously do appreciate it! And very interested to hear feedback regarding early bird reduxes etc - please do give me a shout for feedback on what works/what doesn't because we absolutely do take this into account when we're planning for each sale. Christmas is only around the corner :eek:

Re save the date, we get questions almost everyday asking us about what to expect cost-wise for sales/early birds etc and since cost of living is crazy at the moment - we thought it would be best to give as much visibility as possible for folk to budget appropriately if they'd like to take part in the sale. Additionally yes, we're also a business so it's important to market our sales as much as we can. We're honestly pretty grateful that people are still interested in prioritising us considering everything that's going on in the world right now.
Personally I had no expectations as the big deals tends to be during the Christmas sale, but to see more recent CEs like Anti-Magic Academy and InuYasha (as well as finally adding Dragon Dentist to a sale for once), was nice to see so I have those ordered.

Shame you didn't add K: Seven Stories to the sale as that would have sorted out my AL catalog CE list for the meantime.

Personally I had no expectations as the big deals tends to be during the Christmas sale, but to see more recent CEs like Anti-Magic Academy and InuYasha (as well as finally adding Dragon Dentist to a sale for once), was nice to see so I have those ordered.

Shame you didn't add K: Seven Stories to the sale as that would have sorted out my AL catalog CE list for the meantime.
I will mention K: Seven Stories to my lord and master Hanners for the next one 😅

I would definitely like to see more early bird redux prices (particularly cardcaptor)

I don't really understand why they skipped on announcing any new titles in the blog posts for this though? (Is it that they want to avoid people using the 15% code on new titles so they skip a month of announcements?)

I'm kinda glad it was relatively low key this time around tbh as I'm not doing great financially atm 😅 I'll be sure to save up for the Christmas sale though :)

I'm pretty much the same, being low on money and owning most stuff that I'm interested in. Though I must admit that my fingers have been twitching for Penguindrum ever since the "100 copies" message. Probably be caving in soon as that twitching is progressively getting worse 😅

To each their own, I suppose. With the exception of one item (see above) there is nothing of interest in the sale for me either, but I knew that this would likely be the case based of my experience of previous non-Christmas sales. My point was that if you have experience of previous Summer, Easter, etc sales then this sale really shouldn't be a surprise. Also, along the same lines of what @demiopedia has written, I think it's rather kind to advertise a sale is incoming so people that is going to place an order can hold that off a bit, put some money aside a month in advance and see if any of the items they are interested in pops up in the sale at a reduced cost. If anything I dreaded the times when AL could advertise a EB or Sale so suddenly that you had like no time to prepare economically or plan your orders more strategically.

I'm not really prone to complain about sales. They're a standard business practice to shift surplus stock. Completely different from being unhappy about licenses/release dates. I think if any of us are in a position to say "There's nothing in this sale I want", there are worse problems to have in life.

It's a damn shame we can't get sales on our energy bills! :mad:

There wasn't anything I wanted in this sale but that's probably because I've bought most of what I wanted, so I'm pending seeing any new releases I'd like, maybe Christmas sales will come up with more things for me to buy!

Back