UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

As someone mentioned here before, UP will place special orders for TRSI items at sale prices, but you have to contact them to ask. One item I wanted, for example, is $12 in the sale, for which UP quoted me £16 + P&P - much cheaper than their regular price (which I'd never have paid) or importing directly. They're making an order with TRSI this coming week.

Thanks for letting me know about this. Just sent UP1 an email asking if the could order both parts of When They Cry GOU at the sale prices.

£30 per part is much cheaper than £50. :)

As someone mentioned here before, UP will place special orders for TRSI items at sale prices, but you have to contact them to ask. One item I wanted, for example, is $12 in the sale, for which UP quoted me £16 + P&P - much cheaper than their regular price (which I'd never have paid) or importing directly. They're making an order with TRSI this coming week.

interesting, I will give this a go as the postage on any order I've made thru RS has been crippling and some of the sale items are looking pretty tasty!

So rather than have Rightstuf ship it directly, it's possible to save on shipping costs via forwarding service? If so, that'd be pretty sweet cause as of now it's far too expensive with shipping + customs fees included.
It should definitely be possible to save money, especially since you aren't limited to whatever shipping service Rightstuf uses. You can also place much smaller orders and have each package consolidated into one large one during the entire duration of the sale, which means you can save a bit of money buying items the week they are featured instead of waiting till the last day.

I can only speak about my experience with using freight forwarders and proxies from Japan, since that's all I've used, but I imagine the ones shipping from the US to the UK should work the same way. Almost all of the services I've seen also offer the ability to mark the package as a gift and to also declare your own values for each item.

i should State shipping in western regions is a much bigger problem outside of japan and there desire for Profit is a few counts higher compared to some of the JP compneys

and alot of them will charge to consoladate + 3 or 10% of the total value of the package etc , my experience is with MYUS and stackry , myUS is based in florida and uses a subscprtion model found stackry to be a bit better and is based out of NH ....

parcel forwarders shipping From the UK/EU to down under Charge like wounded bulls !

Shipito seems to be one I've seen around. All forwarders add on extra fees though whether it's consolidation, storage, repackaging, their own internal QA i.e pay us $20 to check everything for damage/ not manhandle your stuff before we reship.

The issue especially with big orders is that you don't know how much you'll need to pay until they invoice you and since you're dealing with volumetric weights that Premium Edition you bought might double the estimates.

As much as I don't like Right Stuf shifting to DHL and Import deposits you at least know there aren't going to be any surprise charges (VAT, handling fees etc) and there's a direct complaints procedure is something gets damaged or is faulty.

i wish you didn't mention this because it's probably gonna cost me dearly

Haven't heard back about the big order yet but I was planning a second smaller order. Right Stuf quoted me around £140 UP1 offered the same for £100 plus P+P so probably around £110.

Re: forwarders. I've never ordered from RightStuf but I've been using Stackry for a couple of years to ship my Criterion and Kino sale orders. Like most things been getting more expensive in recent times but, checking my invoices, I was £23 to ship 7 Blu-Rays a couple of months ago and £27 to send 13 Blu-Rays and a hardback book in February. They also charge a few dollars to consolidate packages into one. I've never been 'caught' by customs yet but you can also attach your own values and I know people that intentionally undervalue and have also had no issues. Obviously I can't condone that... This referral link will get us both $10 off if anybody is interested

There's a decent discussion thread at the Blu-Ray.com forums about forwarding companies

I also contacted UP1 regarding a 2nd right stuf order.
And there was mention they are putting in a special order in on Wednesday with rightstuf, so if considering it as an option you may need get a move on. I think this is the last week of the sale as well, so not sure if you'll be able to use UP1 after wednesday (they may do another one, so if it is after wednesday still might be worth contacting them, but unsure).

I've emailed UP1 with a list + sale prices to ask if they are able to order. I've had to message them through my email as I'm currently at work and can't get into my account to use the message box (don't have password saved on phone and for the life of me can't remember it).

I've emailed UP1 with a list + sale prices to ask if they are able to order. I've had to message them through my email as I'm currently at work and can't get into my account to use the message box (don't have password saved on phone and for the life of me can't remember it).
They've got back to me and told me the prices they would do for the items I want. They say order through their site and in the comment box put Rightstuf special order and they will apply the sale prices. They said in the email that they'll be doing an order on Wednesday (tomorrow).

I'll be putting my order in tonight when I get home from work.

They've got back to me and told me the prices they would do for the items I want. They say order through their site and in the comment box put Rightstuf special order and they will apply the sale prices. They said in the email that they'll be doing an order on Wednesday (tomorrow).

I'll be putting my order in tonight when I get home from work.
Thanks for this information.

Is there a consistent mark up that I could compare to the titles I fancy?

From the quote they gave me it's between 20%-30% off the prices on UP1

If not obvious UP1 will only special order items that are in stock when they place their order tomorrow.

Thanks for this information.

Is there a consistent mark up that I could compare to the titles I fancy?
A few quote prices (US dollar prices is NOT including any import or postage costs on Rightstuf):

$12 = £14.00 + UK P&P
£21 = £24.00 + UK P&P
$25 = £28.00 + UK P&P
$25.75 = £29.00 + UK P&P
$43.50 = £48.00 + UK P&P

Last edited:
From the quote they gave me it's between 20%-30% off the prices on UP1

If not obvious UP1 will only special order items that are in stock when they place their order tomorrow.
Thanks.
I'm having a nightmare over this. Cannot decide whether to order.

Back of a fag packet calculations suggest there wouldn't be much in the 2 company prices.

Perhaps due to Cobra the Animation DVD being $10 sale and UP1 £50 and Godannar $35, UP1 £60.

In the end I bit the bullet and ordered from Rightstuf.
It pains me to wait on deliveries. Pleased with my selection, managed to get an average of £20 per item.

I ordered 26/7 and today I got an email confirming items shipped. o_O

I have given my friend some of my valuable spare/emergency DVDs and Blu-rays to sell to try to offset the cost.

Back