PlayStation Retro Discussion (inc. PS3, digital PS1 & PS2 Classics & PS Plus Premium)

The new PlayStation Plus is now available in Japan, and the Classics line-up is pretty much the same as the Asia selection.

But, so far Ape Escape is the Japanese version i.e. NTSC-J which is good (also if you bought the Japanese version on PS3, you should be able to download this version for free). Worms Armageddon and Worms World Party are also available but since both of those games were only released in North America & Europe, it's expected to be the PAL versions instead.

Also for those wondering about the lack of PS2 games in the Asian line-up - the PS2 on PS4 initiative was barely a thing in these regions. The only ones that made an appearance on PS4 were Ace Combat 5 (exclusive to pre-orders of AC7), the Jak games and Star Ocean 3.

Last edited:
The new PlayStation Plus is now available in Japan, and the Classics line-up is pretty much the same as the Asia selection.

But, so far Ape Escape is the Japanese version i.e. NTSC-J which is good (also if you bought the Japanese version on PS3, you should be able to download this version for free). Worms Armageddon and Worms World Party are also available but since both of those games were only released in North America & Europe, it's expected to be the PAL versions instead.

Also for those wondering about the lack of PS2 games in the Asian line-up - the PS2 on PS4 initiative was barely a thing in these regions. The only ones that made an appearance on PS4 were Ace Combat 5 (exclusive to pre-orders of AC7), the Jak games and Star Ocean 3.
An update on this as we got some more information.

The first-party titles - Ape Escape, Everybody's Golf, Intelligent Qube, Jumping Flash, and Wild Arms - are all NTSC-J versions which is good for that market.

But I forgot to mention that there is a service fee that is similar to the PS4 to PS5 upgrades for these classics which is about 100 Yen.

PlayStation Plus has now launched in North America. One new addition to the list is Resident Evil Director's Cut, however its not available for purchase. You also can't download Tekken 2 even if you already own the PS3 version.

There's also a bug at the moment if you previously owned Toy Story 2 on PS3 as it states you can't download it as you already own it. Multiple users have this issue so I expect a fix will follow suit soon.

I can also confirm NTSC US versions have been used for the games as I have downloaded Jumping Flash and Wild Arms (thanks to owning them on PS3), just like the PlayStation 3 store did. Games are $9.99 to purchase.

I'm just crossing my fingers and wondering how Sony will mess up my PS+ sub, I have PSnow until Oct this year and my current PS+ sub runs out next April 🤷‍♂️
So going by there FAQ they should convert me to the top tier until Oct minimum then possibly until the end of my current PS+ if I'm reading their terms correctly but we'll see how that goes haha

Mini-update. The Worms games are also NTSC in the North American store, and the bug that was affecting owners of the PS3 version for Toy Story 2 is now fixed so you can download the PS4/5 version without any issues.

Mini-update. The Worms games are also NTSC in the North American store, and the bug that was affecting owners of the PS3 version for Toy Story 2 is now fixed so you can download the PS4/5 version without any issues.
But can you buy Resident Evil? It would suck if Sony went back on their word in that regard.

But can you buy Resident Evil? It would suck if Sony went back on their word in that regard.
I mentioned it before, but if a PS1 game is exclusive to PS Plus then you can't download it even if you own the PS3 version.

Also it's been mentioned that the version that's on PS3 for Resident Evil is the DualShock version while the PS4/5 version is the non-DualShock.

PlayStation Plus Revamp in UK, Europe and Australia is now available!

There's some good news and bad news.

Bad news is that the PS1 Classics cost more than their PS3 counterparts, with Ape Escape going for £9.99 and Toy Story 2 going for £4.99 as examples. And the games are presented in PAL 50Hz versions. Super Stardust Portable joins the PSP Classics list (which was announced prior but wasn't on the other store's when those went live), however it is PS Plus Exclusive.

The good news is that Sony has officially confirmed that they will be looking into providing NTSC versions for a majority of the PAL games included on their service across all regions that rely on PAL.

I'm curious about the PS3 streaming. Do they keep their old PS3 system trophies (so like you can pick up where you left off on some old games if you wanted to) or do they have a whole new list of trophies?

I'm curious about the PS3 streaming. Do they keep their old PS3 system trophies (so like you can pick up where you left off on some old games if you wanted to) or do they have a whole new list of trophies?
I haven't tried it yet but if its like PSnow if you had PS3 trophy progress it continues that.

Be interesting to see if they've fixed the save data system. If you had a save file from the disc PS3 version saved in the cloud you couldn't use that on the streaming version and vice versa.

I haven't tried it yet but if its like PSnow if you had PS3 trophy progress it continues that.

Be interesting to see if they've fixed the save data system. If you had a save file from the disc PS3 version saved in the cloud you couldn't use that on the streaming version and vice versa.
Thanks. And yeah I agree that save transfer would be a nice bonus as well

Thanks. And yeah I agree that save transfer would be a nice bonus as well
It's more frustrating when there's a game that has streaming & download options!
I think it was Nights of Azure I was playing, I downloaded it originally then deleted it after awhile to free up space and tried the streaming version and had to create a new save 🤦‍♂️
I can see why there's a technically limitation with the save while streaming but there must be a fix 🤷‍♂️ like letting us cloud save more than 100 games!!! (Don't even get me started on that!!)

It's more frustrating when there's a game that has streaming & download options!
I think it was Nights of Azure I was playing, I downloaded it originally then deleted it after awhile to free up space and tried the streaming version and had to create a new save 🤦‍♂️
I can see why there's a technically limitation with the save while streaming but there must be a fix 🤷‍♂️ like letting us cloud save more than 100 games!!! (Don't even get me started on that!!)
That is very lame. Thanks for the heads up

Ape Escape going for £9.99
It's £7.99 now; maybe it was an error at first.

I've tried out Wild Arms and Syphon Filter on PS5, and they seem okay based on a quick look. Motion doesn't seem jittery from the 50->60Hz conversion, at least to my eyes, though PS1 polygons are so wobbly anyway that it's probably hard to tell. It's nice to have PS1 games displaying at an accurate 4:3 finally, and the scanline filter is decent (I've seen better and worse implementations on that front).

The only disappointment so far is that they're using the original Kurushi rather than Kurushi Final, so my PS3 purchase of the latter doesn't count.

Now they just need to start piling on a few hundred more PS1 games.

Updated first post with some tweaks.

Resident Evil Director's Cut is exclusive to PS Plus but can be downloaded to own if you bought the EU version. This is because the North American version is not the same game, as they instead had the infamous DualShock one.

More PSP games are on the way to the store, with Sony's LocoRoco Midnight Carnival and Square Enix's Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. Square has confirmed theirs will be available to purchase without needing PS Plus and is also included with the deluxe edition of Valkyrie Elysium.

Why was it infamous?
Imagine you're in a scary mansion with deadly monsters and zombies roaming around to kill you, and as you explore one of the rooms for the first time not knowing something is nearby, you don't hear eerie and unsettling music... instead you hear this:

Imagine you're in a scary mansion with deadly monsters and zombies roaming around to kill you, and as you explore one of the rooms for the first time not knowing something is nearby, you don't hear eerie and unsettling music... instead you hear this:

WHAT. THE. HELL?!

This should be Brad Vicker's theme song

This is interesting. Here's what the same composition sounds like with a different instrument. I imagine this closer to how it was supposed to sound.

Back