UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

can't wait for CCS even if it is about the 7th time buying the series (just started getting the laserdiscs)
but will the subs be like the NISA blurays with Xiaolang instead of Syaoran etc
I always thought Xiaolang sounded closer to what was spoken.

Comparing them together, Syaoran looks kinda odd as a Chinese name

Didn't have to be the first order from what I rememeber (although for me I think it was), it was when ever you felt like putting the code in the one use Special XMAS/15% off code in. Maybe it did have to be the first order, just checked the email and says "Spend over £50 in our sale, and get 15% off your first order."
It did have to be a "Minimum spend of £50 required", so that maybe worth noting for anyone budgeting.

Not so sure the one off 10% for news letter sign up will come back though, probably have to wait and see. Anim(Un)Limted membership is lot cheaper than Screen Anime was so I could see them hoping people will go for the new sub for the 10% rather than re-doing the news letter, but probably depends what marketing is thinking so you never know.

Last edited:
Really superb announcements for the Xmas sale. Looking forward to buying a good amount of them. Now, all I want is a surprise box with March Comes In complete Season 1 (or Season 1&2) to appear without warning.

I’ll only be getting CCS (have a feeling this will be expensive) from the new announcements, and also whatever happens to interest me from the sale and BOGOF (still hoping for a good deal on Bartender)

First order you make in the sale will be 15% off if you were a Screen Anime member.
Thank you very much, I knew it was something like that.

Didn't people also get a code if they weren't a member but subbed to their email?

I still haven't signed up yet as shockingly I haven't bought anything from the site since they started the unlimited sub!

Kakegurui's announcement timing is muchly appreciated given the import of S1 twas nigh. That I'll surely be getting. Never Netflix'd S2, after all, and I'm all for black(tights)Xred(uniforms)Xlusty(high school girls).. on a box. Boogiepop el orginale I'd be interested in rewatching not on naff R1 DVDs. And Kaiba's a Yuasa series have meant to watch for many a year. One has to ponder why that over Devilman Crybaby, though. The coin required to get Netflix to sell must be too costly~

As Mendo(u?) states, the logic behind An(drew)ime Limited's decisions continues to baffle. Granted, my knowledge of economics is almost entirely derived from Howo the Wisewolf, 'tis true. Yet, after seeing Evangelion's UE was a roaring success, far surpassing any other UE that took years just to sell 500 copies, instead of releasing Gundam 0079 UE or something collectors would want en masse, drum roll.... they announce Blood-CLAMP, an anime so poorly regarded by wee... erm, anime fans that I sold my (Manga UK?) copy to CeX, years ago. Must surely still be cheap to get used copies on blu-ray. It was so bad all I recall is that it was so bad I quit. At the start.
If ANY Blood anime, why not Blood+, aka the actually good one with Mark Mancina music and unforgettable OP3 (juicey lips at end)?... only ever released in Yankland, and OOP/stupidly rare and expensive to buy. YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

AL should hire me as 'Ultimate Edition Advisor'. I'd only ask for a nominal fee. Naturally, my first suggestion would be Gankutsuou, which would sell as badly as Blood C (if not worse). Difference is, that's actually quite good, as Andrew knows best himself.

Maybe as a learned fellow suggested, AL are sucking up cheapo Funimation/Sony licenses. Wasn't Seraph released by Sony along with Arslan, and they struggled to sell their stock for years?

Last edited:
For anyone else who dislikes watching videos for this kind of stuff, here's a list of what they announced, with basic details;

Blood-C Ultimate - series + film, 144 page a4 artbook, limited to 500 units
El-Hazard: The Magnificent World - OVAs 1+2, 52 page artbook
Kakegurui - season 1, 36 page artbook, 4 art cards
Boogiepop Phantom - 2000 series, 72 page booklet
Kaiba - 44 page booklet
Belladonna in 4k
Seraph of the End - seasons 1+2, soundtrack cd, 52 page booklet
Code Geass - film trilogy + Re;surrection in the one collection
Silver Spoon - season 1+2 collection
My-HiMe - complete series, 44 page booklet
Cardcaptor Sakura! - no details :p
Belladonna in 4K, wow. I got the collector's edition on Blu-ray when that came out but I'm so on the fence about double dipping here. It's one of the most visually stunning things I have ever seen but the heavy subject matter makes it such a draining thing to sit down and watch.

I can see why they're doing 4K though given that cinelicious did 4K scans of the movie for the Blu-ray releases. And honestly, if ever there was a film with artwork that'd benefit from 4K, this is it. Maybe AL were waiting for enough of their core audience to get a player for it to be a viable release.

anyone order the standard Planetes last week and had their order shipped out yet? haven't had any shipping emails for it yet
i miss u AoL shipping

Yet, after seeing Evangelion's UE was a roaring success, far surpassing any other UE that took years just to sell 500 copies, instead of releasing Gundam 0079 UE or something collectors would want en masse, drum roll.... they announce Blood-CLAMP, an anime so poorly regarded by wee... erm, anime fans that I sold my (Manga UK?) copy to CeX, years ago. Must surely still be cheap to get used copies on blu-ray. It was so bad all I recall is that it was so bad I quit. At the start.
If ANY Blood anime, why not Blood+, aka the actually good one with Mark Mancina music and unforgettable OP3 (juicey lips at end)?... only ever released in Yankland, and OOP/stupidly rare and expensive to buy. YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Lol, I'm enjoying all the hate for Blood-C... the UE will probably take 10 years to sell out, even at only 500 copies... But, I'll own a copy! 😅

And yes, I'll be waiting into eternity if need be, to finally upgrade my "Yankland" Blood+ discs to Blu-ray - and would still probably end up frankensteining the Blu-ray discs into the original boxsets...

bloodplus1.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe I’m being an idiot here but I genuinely don’t know a lot about these things, but for CCS, if it’s using a 4K scan as a source then why is isn’t it a 4K blu ray release instead of HD blu ray?

Maybe I’m being an idiot here but I genuinely don’t know a lot about these things, but for CCS, if it’s using a 4K scan as a source then why is isn’t it a 4K blu ray release instead of HD blu ray?
The scan itself may be 4K but they may have decided that it isn't economically viable to release a 4K disc. The uptake on those players is much lower than even Blu-ray players, and going 4K adds to the cost too.

Belladonna of Sadness is a decent example of them deciding to do the 4K one later though. Back in 2016 when they released that on Blu-ray they had a 4K scan to work from but released a Blu-ray, but now they're going back and doing a higher resolution release because the scan gives them the scope to do that.

4K scan doesn't necessarily = 4K master. I believe it was scanned at 4K and restored/mastered at 1080p. It blows the old master away regardless. Theoretically, even if a 4K master did exist, the amount of money it'd cost to access said materials, author and replicate all the UHD discs for a 70 episode niche series is... well... astronomical and extremely unviable to say the least - even more so if going solo. I'm not sure if the figure changed since, but a few years ago the figure it cost just to access the Your Name 4K/HDR materials is a big reason why it didn't, well, materialise for the longest time. It's only really viable for big films with enough mainstream appeal to shift enough units in the long run.

Lol, I'm enjoying all the hate for Blood-C... the UE will probably take 10 years to sell out, even at only 500 copies... But, I'll own a copy! 😅

And yes, I'll be waiting into eternity if need be, to finally upgrade my Yankland Blood+ discs to Blu-ray - and will probably still end up frankensteining the Blu-ray discs into the original boxsets...

bloodplus1.jpg
Blood+ can be AL's next white whale after Evangelion.
I'd say Eva was probably an easier challenge though!

Back