Barakamon Simulwatch and Calligraphy learning.

And it comes to an end but top tips from @Birdie Num Num & @D1tchd1gger regarding the prequel, I shall be watching that alongside Shiki for the very required mood stabilisation effect.

I like how light-hearted and lovely Barakamon stays to the end and whilst it kept you dreading Handa's departure, it's actually nice that it had a good chunk of the episode showing his return. The scene with the sea really made me want to watch Ride Your Wave randomly. The kids' procrastination is so spot on, isn't the world so full of things to do when you have an incredibly mundane job at hand heh. I agree that Handa's mum, does not look old enough to be his mum and is pretty scary, but maybe she is just really worried about her son developing a bondage habit heh. And whilst his penultimate piece was gorgeous, his final one was so very full of heart. Lovely show. And nice comparison @D1tchd1gger with A Place Further Than the Universe: @Neil.T is the latter in the simulwatch suggestion list and if not would we be able to have that one on as well please? Thanks!

So if I had to rate this I'd give it 8/10, which tbh is about as high as I can rate slice of life style shows, I am generally more of an action/drama/mystery kind of person, so 8/10 from me for a slice of life is very good.

I actually preferred this over place further than the universe, personally speaking of course :)
I looked at my MAL rating and past me also gave it an 8/10. I think it's a solid score and don't see myself lowering or raising that from the 2nd viewing. So I'm in complete agreement there.

What a touching and delightful series! Just got done with episodes 8 through 12 and I really enjoyed this. It got me feeling all fuzzy on the inside and longing for a time when things were much simpler. It's really one my favorite feelings, the nostalgia of childhood.

The ED, like any good ED, hits different after the ending of the series.

Glad to have watched this but I think I'll be able to appreciate it maybe a bit more on a second watch, taking my time because I didn't really have any this time around and so had to binge multiple episodes every time I watched.

Handa-kun episode 3
Even more misunderstandings! And the reason why Handa is acting like the way he does is revealed.
The reason being Kawafuji was jealous when a girl asked him to ask Handa out for her! So he lied to Handa and said that the girl was spreading rumours. So Handa became cold towards others, but in a twisted way it somehow made him popular. And Kawafuji thinks to himself that he's enjoying it, but that he'll put right one day. Which I guess he does somewhere between this show and the start of Barakamon. Seems mean-spirited and like the mangaka thought up some BS to have this version of Handa completely different from the version in Barakamon. I thought at first it might have been a different mangaka given this property and told to make a spin off hence the different feel, but it's the same person! Maybe there's something lost in the adaptation, but the both the anime and the manga have Barakamon as rated much higher on MAL.
Probably heading for a 5 or 6 at the moment, if I finish it.

Handa-kun episode 3
Even more misunderstandings! And the reason why Handa is acting like the way he does is revealed.
The reason being Kawafuji was jealous when a girl asked him to ask Handa out for her! So he lied to Handa and said that the girl was spreading rumours. So Handa became cold towards others, but in a twisted way it somehow made him popular. And Kawafuji thinks to himself that he's enjoying it, but that he'll put right one day. Which I guess he does somewhere between this show and the start of Barakamon. Seems mean-spirited and like the mangaka thought up some BS to have this version of Handa completely different from the version in Barakamon. I thought at first it might have been a different mangaka given this property and told to make a spin off hence the different feel, but it's the same person! Maybe there's something lost in the adaptation, but the both the anime and the manga have Barakamon as rated much higher on MAL.
Probably heading for a 5 or 6 at the moment, if I finish it.
This is an inherent danger of prequels/sequels to stories that have a clear start and end. You risk turning the characters into something they aren't. It happens too often sadly.

Back