The Gundam Thread

Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway - Can’t say I’m not disappointed (modern Gundam in a nutshell) it’s fine, it’s just not amazing I do think most of the problems lay in it’s only 1/3 of the story and relies so heavily on CCA so kinda of is a weird choice for this new Unicorn art style/team. Also Hathaway is not the best Gundam Protagonist ever let’s be fair. At least the music and visuals were good.
6/10

Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway - Can’t say I’m not disappointed (modern Gundam in a nutshell) it’s fine, it’s just not amazing I do think most of the problems lay in it’s only 1/3 of the story and relies so heavily on CCA so kinda of is a weird choice for this new Unicorn art style/team. Also Hathaway is not the best Gundam Protagonist ever let’s be fair. At least the music and visuals were good.
6/10
I'm curious, did sunrise add any mentions to tie this into their own new canon with Unicorn and NT or is the story just it's own thing?

Mobile Suit Gundam Seed

Watched the 48 episode version. It took me a while to really get into. I think in part due to the Euros being on meaning I couldnt binge watch it like I wanted to. So I was dipping in and out of the show to being with. The second half of the show did seem much stronger though. This had a lot to do with Flay being in it way less. My god I hated her. More than Kamille (from Zeta) even and he was awful in every respect. Flay was a truly awful human being and the show kept trying to make these big moments for us to sympathise with her and all I thought was good, take that, you deserve worse.

Anyway, away for her theres a lot to enjoy in this version of Gundam. Kira, Athrun and Cagali were a great set of leads and I enjoyed seeing all there intereactions, the good and bad. And most of the secondary cast were great too. The show did have a tendency to make its villians somewhat cartoony and 1 note but it doesnt detract from the show and gave others a chance for redemption which was good.

I enjoyed the action the animation. Some battles got pretty complicated with a lot of moving pieces but I always felt I knew what was happening. Also the mecha designs were differentiated enough to know who was on each side and the characters themselves were easily identifiable and different.

Overall for me this sits below IBO and 00 but firmly above Wing for the AU shows I've seen.

So before I watch Hathaway I thought I'd re-watch some of the things it refers to. Char's Counterattack is the main one as far as I know, but without spoilers, can you tell me if I need to refresh my memory of Unicorn or actually watch Narrative (or any others)?

just making sure, if i want to get the ZZ gundam that transforms/splits into all 3 parts is this the ultimate one to get?

MG 1/100 MSZ-010 ZZ Gundam Ver. Ka is the one to go for, can confirm that it is a good kit. if you want to spend extra there is also the MG FAZZ Ver Ka

got the gundam today and had a pretty big surprise when i opened the box because i expected it to be a prebuilt figure and not a model kit because i obviously lack the ability to read a listing page

i've never done one of these aside from a pretty simple RAF jet when i was much younger but some tips would be helpful, i've had a look online at some things and would like more precise answers for a bunch of questions i have

when it comes to getting rid of left over stuff from the cuts would i be fine using a mini metal nail filer rather than sandpaper?

i would assume so but am i best putting on the stickers and water decals while i build the thing or wait until the entire thting is completed so i have a better idea from the 107 decal guide at the back of the instruction booklet

to add on from the last question, are there any cheapish but reliable set of tweezers that'll make puttting the much smaller stickers on a hell of a lot more easier?

when it comes to getting rid of left over stuff from the cuts would i be fine using a mini metal nail filer rather than sandpaper?

i would assume so but am i best putting on the stickers and water decals while i build the thing or wait until the entire thting is completed so i have a better idea from the 107 decal guide at the back of the instruction booklet

to add on from the last question, are there any cheapish but reliable set of tweezers that'll make puttting the much smaller stickers on a hell of a lot more easier?
Welcome to the world of Gunpla, even if it was accidental :p

A metal file would work but Sandpaper is better. Metal files tend to leave marks on plastic.

Decals are better put on after it's built and/or painted, you don't need to use all of them just the ones you want.

For tweezers and tools in general. Something like like this would make a good starter set. I got something similar starting out

though keep in mind nothing in one of these are good quality, and things like the side cutters could do with upgrading to better ones if you want to keep to the hobby. But they are "good enough" for starting out with.

As I didn't see you ask, yes use side cutters to remove the bits. don't just push them off the sprue.

Welcome to the world of Gunpla, even if it was accidental :p
thanks for some of the answers
A metal file would work but Sandpaper is better. Metal files tend to leave marks on plastic.
i'll try looking a bit more into sandpaper, i saw a site recommending 800 but i think locally the highest i could see was 200
Decals are better put on after it's built and/or painted, you don't need to use all of them just the ones you want.
the instruction booklet mentioned placing the part with the water decal in water, this is kinda why i was asking about the best time to place them on, would i be fine treating them in a similar way to how you used to get those tattoos in bubblegum packs where you wet a sponge and just pat on the spot for a minute or so and slowly peeled away the material it was stuck to?
For tweezers and tools in general. Something like like this would make a good starter set. I got something similar starting out

though keep in mind nothing in one of these are good quality, and things like the side cutters could do with upgrading to better ones if you want to keep to the hobby. But they are "good enough" for starting out with.
i'll try giving tthis set a try, i already have a decent pair of wire cutters and have also been meaning to get a decent precision cutter for a while since i was thinking about getting back into papercraft too but kinda lacked a printer so i never got round to getting one
As I didn't see you ask, yes use side cutters to remove the bits. don't just push them off the sprue.
i think that was the first thought that came into my head especially if i accidentally break one piece i could basically wipe out the entire set if i'm unable to get 2 pieces to go together

the instruction booklet mentioned placing the part with the water decal in water, this is kinda why i was asking about the best time to place them on, would i be fine treating them in a similar way to how you used to get those tattoos in bubblegum packs where you wet a sponge and just pat on the spot for a minute or so and slowly peeled away the material it was stuck to?
Yep, precisley this, they are water transfers so the sponge method you described is ideal. Personally I like to turn mine into stencils by cutting them out with the knife and painting through them.

i think that was the first thought that came into my head especially if i accidentally break one piece i could basically wipe out the entire set if i'm unable to get 2 pieces to go together

That's good, I brought it up because some people will do that otherwise.

The best tip I can give is to just take it slow and carefully. I recomend checking out some youtube guides for cutting and assembly tips. There are quite a few available and personally it taught me quite a bit when I was starting out as well.

Last edited:
Back