Simulwatch schedule and suggestions list

We need like simulwatch thread 1 and thread 2, and have them both just having different things each month, then people can join for 1, the other, or both if they are masochists like me :cool: Maybe my thread should be the unofficial simulwatch thread 2 for the more random stuff people want to do!

A lot of good suggestions anyway, I need to give Made in Abyss another shot maybe as I don't remember being hugely into it when I saw it, I haven't seen the movie yet.

Stuff like the Hosoda films and Busan could also go there, I couldn't finish Summer Wars (dunno why just found it ridiculous and a little boring) but I at least reached the end of Wolf Children, despite some reservations about the motives of the characters, I at least reached the furry end of it. I have Girl who Leapt through time on my planned to watch list still.

We need like simulwatch thread 1 and thread 2, and have them both just having different things each month
That's actually a really neat idea. 🤔

There are simulwatches that I'd perhaps still like to create a separate thread for, like Ergo Proxy, but otherwise, yeah, shall we do that?

I can set up a "General simulwatch thread #1" if you'd like to do the other. How about it?

I'd be happy to watch any of his though I'd (perhaps controversially) say Mirai is his worst film. Summer Wars, Girl Who Leapt Through Time and his One Piece film are leagues ahead in my view.

I think others would agree, seeing as it's not the first time I've seen middling reception to it. I loved those first two, never watched the one piece one and I also loved the Beast one. Good to see he's back in full force with Belle!

Now we just need to wait for Shinkai's next boy meets girl in Tokyo movie 🤷‍♂️

good GOD man, please do something else with that crushing talent of yours

Man, I'm eager to get the final three MVM releases so I can finally get to watching Monogatari. So much has come out since their release or otherwise have good promotions that I haven't had the chance to buy them so far.

Two simulwatch threads sounds pretty cool!

Now we just need to wait for Shinkai's next boy meets girl in Tokyo movie 🤷‍♂️

good GOD man, please do something else with that crushing talent of yours
Haha I love every Shinkai film so I'm pretty cool with his way of doing things. I saw him talking (maybe on a special feature on one of his films) where he said what fascinates him is things that put distance in love. That's why all of his works have played with that idea be it space, time, age etc

Haha I love every Shinkai film so I'm pretty cool with his way of doing things. I saw him talking (maybe on a special feature on one of his films) where he said what fascinates him is things that put distance in love. That's why all of his works have played with that idea be it space, time, age etc

I do too, even if I found WWY way too similar, way too soon and really wasn't in love with the gun subplot/plot device, but I still enjoyed myself. I love owning his entire body of work!

I just wish he could change like, age or setting, or try his hand at more sci-fi or action!

That's actually a really neat idea. 🤔

There are simulwatches that I'd perhaps still like to create a separate thread for, like Ergo Proxy, but otherwise, yeah, shall we do that?

I can set up a "General simulwatch thread #1" if you'd like to do the other. How about it?

Sounds good to me :)

I'll set it up later today, and then we can put a link to the other one in the top post, nice to avoid crossover of what is being watched that way.

I'd like to aim for one thing in a month, whether it's a show, or a film or two, so I'd work on that basis.

I think Ergo Proxy was my idea so I could move it into my schedule if you'd prefer to put something else in yours?

I think Ergo Proxy was my idea so I could move it into my schedule
I think, personally, the simplest idea might be to keep the overall simulwatch schedule and suggestions list in this thread, and then I can link to one of the two simulwatch threads that'll host the actual discussion of the series or film. That way, no-one has to check two separate threads to see what's on offer and can easily navigate to where it's being discussed.

How does that sound? 🙂

I think, personally, the simplest idea might be to keep the overall simulwatch schedule and suggestions list in this thread, and then I can link to one of the two simulwatch threads that'll host the actual discussion of the series or film. That way, no-one has to check two separate threads to see what's on offer and can easily navigate to where it's being discussed.

How does that sound? 🙂

Sounds good :)

If you do #1 how you like I'll copy the format and run #2

Sounds good :)

If you do #1 how you like I'll copy the format and run #2
Coolio. 😁

I've set up #1 here...
[deleted]
... and we'll just work out between us which simulwatch will go in which thread. Ergo Proxy's all yours for starters, buddy, and I think you should totally run your side of things how you see fit; no need to follow formats or anything.

Pleasure workin' with ya. 🤝

Last edited:
Alright, I'll make a thread for Shiki today so as not to muddy this one too much and edit/link it back here, then if others want to join in they can :)

Even if it's just me and you that will be fine, I'll call it unofficial simulwatch as well.
Aha a renegade simulwatch, how scandalous! All for it, so looking forward to Shiki.

I remember now the other one I was saving for Halloween season was Ghost Hunt! I remember @WMD and some others rating it highly so in case anyone else is interested in that one potentially, if you guys think that that is one that would work for a simulwatch that is.

Also, I suggest Ping Pong, again. I will be bot-like in my suggestion, fyi
Yes, very much yes, I haven't seen that yet and will happily join you on that one if no one else (another renegade watch if need be and maybe in the new year?) and maybe we can hijack the original simulwatch thread to add our simulwatch on to?

Especially since the newest anime is a sequal to the VN.
Aaah, this is the inside info I needed to know about, especially more so if the newer animes have any links to Umineko or even Ciconia (please don't tell me I need to read the latter first as well!). Okay I will shelf plans to watch the newer ones until after I've read all the VNs then.

I actually do really rather like it, for what it's worth.

Lastly, I have my own simulwatch suggestion for October to add, but it's (mostly) live-action rather than animated. It's the Train to Busan trilogy
Cool, I'm happy to do Tokyo Marble chocolate of others would be interested and if you think it would be worthwhile. Also cool with Train to Busan if it can all be streamed on the usual suspects (I get the feeling I'm making my October list unfathomable today....).

Monogatari simulwatch

Or is that too much :p
It would be perfect for the soon be instated Renegade simulwatch thread and I feel it can definitely be done if broken up over a couple of months or longer if need be. I'll happily join that one!

I just wish he could change like, age or setting, or try his hand at more sci-fi or action!
Interesting, I feel that he has actually done almost all of that to some extent earlier on in Voices of Distant Star & 5 Centimetres! I really loved WWY especially the rather realistic angle of life will go on regardless of how much human beings mess up the world. But yeah, I would love some more of his trademark style with more adult settings akin to the last story in 5cms. I have enjoyed all of Hosoda's work but not quite as much as other favourites of mine. I guess a bit like Eva, it's very useful to watch his movies in the context of his inspiration for the movies from his own personal life events.

I think, personally, the simplest idea might be to keep the overall simulwatch schedule and suggestions list in this thread,
I second that, I think I'm already getting confused between the two current suggestions threads (in fact @Neil.T, I would suggest all discussions, like this here, be on the original simulwatch discussion thread, and your thread be purely to keep that very well organised tally and list you have, with no option to discuss there?). I think as you said the alternative, concurrent simulwatch series for which there is less interest or smaller groups breaking off watching, perhaps would still continue having a new individual thread for each alternative show, eg. an individual Shiki thread by @Lordhippos.

Ah man I'm getting confused now... Okay ignore me...

Ah man I'm getting confused now...
My idea would work like this:

We suggest and discuss ideas for potential simulwatches using this thread, and I add them to the list in the opening post. By using this thread, it's a simple click or a tap of the ⏪ near the bottom of the current page to view the schedule and suggestion list in the opening post. A link to the opening post also exist in the signature found at the bottom of any of my posts.

Then when we reach a consensus on what to watch when, I'll set up a direct link to the appropriate simulwatch thread that will host the actual discussion of the film or series. Rather than set up a new thread for each new simulwatch, the new idea is to just use one of what will be two rolling threads. I'm not sure how difficult it'll make finding the starting point of each new simulwatch, but if people want to try it...

I still think it might be better to just start a new thread to host each new simulwatch, as we've done up until this point, personally speaking.

I remember now the other one I was saving for Halloween season was Ghost Hunt! I remember @WMD and some others rating it highly so in case anyone else is interested in that one potentially, if you guys think that that is one that would work for a simulwatch that is.
I love Ghost Hunt and probably will watch it again around Halloween but tbh I'm not going to watch 1 epsiode a day of it. I'll either binge it or at the very least watch each arc in a sitting. Each case tends to be 3 or 4 episodes. think theres 1 two partner and a single stand alone episode thrown in.

If it was simulwatched I'd just chime in at the end of each case if others were doing just 1 episode a day. But because of the case structure of the show it does lend itself to mini binges

I still think it might be better to just start a new thread to host each new simulwatch, as we've done up until this point, personally speaking.
Yeah I agree to be honest. Especially if you miss a few days and are trying to catch up having a shorter thread to go through that's only about 1 show is useful.

Back