In Space No One Can Hear You Clean - Planetes Simulwatch (Episode 26 - Finale)

Episode 10

This one hits hard and not an easy watch....The accident being cut out of the intro spiel was rather telling. Ai very pensive after the events of last episode and whilst joining the annals of students inspired by Sensei, it was via a rather harsh lesson. Could really sympathise with Yuri, some losses in life are just too painful and the only way to be able to function is to internalise and carry on, however unhealthy that may be. Regardless, these have a way of catching up with you eventually, but maybe that time in denial allows one to perhaps regroup mentally and be better prepared to confront & deal with them? It is probably also a very male predilection to keep calm & carry on without addressing the problem when it comes to mental health. As painful as it was to watch, it was good that Yuri could get some form of closure in the end and potentially now move on with his life as possible, whilst carrying scars that never fully heal.

Yuri's grief advice is pretty bleak and very unhealthy sounding I might add. Repressing all your emotions like that is not something I'd reccomend to anyone. Maybe that's why I find Hachi so relatable in this series. He may be abrasive but hes also open and honest and st least understands that closing yourself off isnt going to make things better.
Objectively I'd agree with you there & that is very logical. Subjectively though the ideal method doesn't always work, especially not in the immediate aftermath, with different people dealing with tragedy in different ways. I wouldn't say Yuri's coping mechanism was wrong but then I wouldn't say he was right either. It's probably the only way he was able to cope. Sometimes, time is the best healer, especially in the context of an event you can never fully recover from, just eventually make your peace with and move on.
Manga notes: This is chapter one. Most of the Yuri stuff is true to the manga, except for the research stuff and Hachi finding out about his wife was from a different character as the manager is anime original.
As sensei is anime original as well, that part isn't in the manga and neither
The thing with the flowers is different as well, the only part from the manga is the one left by Yuri right at the end, but it's a White Stargazer Lily. These symbolise purity in Japanese flower language (Hanakotoba), so I think it was chosen more for the name. Stargazer is obvious, but also the Japanese for Lily is Yuri! The Carnation seems to be an equally good choice, but from the meaning point of view as the Temp says "longlasting love". Carnations are normally given to family members with different colours for different people, such as red is a gift normally given on Mothers Day.
This is quite interesting and for me the anime changes seem to be an improvement, in terms of Yuri especially what with placing his backstory much later helping the viewer really feel the distance he maintains with his colleagues over the previous episodes, and the meaning behind the different flower being a much better fit in relation to his enduring love for his wife (as opposed to thinking of what flower would best describe him, seeing as he hardly comes across as a narcissist).

Episode 11

More politicking. Poor guy cant catch a break only because of where hes from. It's a sad reality of the world. Hachi steps up to help because hes earnest and he likes earnest people. It's sad that in the end the project gets derailed because of the situation down on Earth and nothing do to with the suit itself. Which proved itself as worthy.

The love story still doesn't interest me at all. Hachi and Ais friends are so one dimensional and Hachi and Ai would make a terrible couple anyway that the whole tangle seems pointless to me.

Episode 11
You can't see the boarders from space, but even in space they are there! Mr Temara and his suit are dismissed because of either snobbery or possibly racism, and he's passed on to Claire (who seems to be doing fine, so maybe not racism at least in this company) to go through the motions and then get rid. Claire at first seems to want nothing to do with the spacesuit even though it's from her own country, as she seems to have disowned it as most of her time there seems to have been a struggle. They have no luck until Hachi steps up again and the rest of the debris team are enthusiastic as well. Claire is won over by Mr Temara's dedication and his story which even brings up some actual fond memories of her life there. But things back home have deteriorated and even in space catch up with Mr Temara. I'm not sure why peace keepers want to round up citizens of the country, but we learned earlier that INTO aren't exactly ethical in their "peace keeping". Hachi equipment "malfunctions" and they get to finish the trial, but it doesn't seem like they'll be building any more as we see their workshop destroyed back on Earth.

Another moving episode.

Elsewhere the romance stuff is a little awkward. Ai's friend doesn't seem as annoyed as she was earlier, but she seems to be stearing Ai towards Hachi, who may or may not still have feelings for Claire. The love beems scene between Hachi and Ai in the store room was especially weird.

Manga Notes: Another anime original episode. I will say:
WMD, get used to it buddy as it's going to happen šŸ˜œ If you've clicked this you've spoilt it for yourself! I wouldn't say there romance was an less complex in the manga, but this diversion in the anime is original because the friends don't exist in the manga.

It took until episode 10, but I finally found something I want to write a little bit about in Planetes. I'm pleased by that.

My including these quotes is not for the purpose of "siding" with anybody's opinion over someone else's: I'm just using them as a lead in to a bit of thinking out loud and again bringing some of my own personal experience to our discussion.

Yuri's grief advice is pretty bleak and very unhealthy sounding I might add. Repressing all your emotions like that is not something I'd reccomend to anyone. Maybe that's why I find Hachi so relatable in this series. He may be abrasive but hes also open and honest and st least understands that closing yourself off isnt going to make things better.
Could really sympathise with Yuri, some losses in life are just too painful and the only way to be able to function is to internalise and carry on
I've certainly never experienced anything in my life anywhere close to what Yuri's experienced in this story, and I hope I never have to, but I've got to say that I heavily identify with his way of dealing with painful situations in a broader sense, so he makes a lot of sense to me as a character now. Sometimes something is too big to really ever be able to get out of your system, and it just gets trapped in a kind of bottleneck. I wouldn't want to put words into Yuri's mouth, but perhaps there's also the factor of: being aware of how much space this thing takes up inside, you would have to worry about what would even be left if you could remove it.

Another area where I feel I somewhat relate to Yuri is...
... again the same reason I see some of myself in Jirō from The Wind Rises: they're both a bit like an iceberg, where a large part of their self is hidden underneath the surface where people will perhaps never see it.

So yes, I totally identify with his mechanism of internalising problems, so I'm more invested in Yuri as a character now. It's fascinating reading people's interpretations of a series and which characters they like or dislike and which they identify with, because it often throws up things that really challenge my own viewpoint and force me to view something from another perspective, like WMD's take on Hachimaki above. I don't think I've found anything that would help me to identify with him as a character yet.

he really needs therapy not to close himself off
Again, fascinating to me. I could do the latter in a heartbeat, but you couldn't drag me towards the former using the proverbial herd of wild horses.

especially in the context of an event you can never fully recover from
There's something about Yuri's character, his place in the story, and the story's setting itself that reminds me of the character Heintz in "Magnetic Rose", the first segment of the short-film anthology Memories. And in fact, I discovered while trawling its old simulwatch thread right after typing that previous sentence that @Professor Irony drew that connection already:
As an aside, it also amused me that this would have been just a few years before the PlanetES manga started. Although very different in content and tone, it too follows the lives of space debris collectors, including a kindly blonde haired astronaut, quietly grieving the loss of his wife and daughter...
(I've added a spoiler blur to that quote just in case. I don't know whether it is or isn't, though.)

The last Yuri-related point from me here is to point out something in the original Japanese dialogue. The term that Hachimaki uses at one point to describe Yuri's character is mizukusai. It has a range of subtly different meanings that include "stand-offish", "distant", "reserved" and "watery". As an adjective, mizukusai literally means "stinking of water", implying a kind of blandness.

Last edited:
So yes, I totally identify with his mechanism of internalising problems, so I'm more invested in Yuri as a character now. It's fascinating reading people's interpretations of a series and which characters they like or dislike and which they identify with, because it often throws up things that really challenge my own viewpoint and force me to view something from another perspective, like WMD's take on Hachimaki above. I don't think I've found anything that would help me to identify with him as a character yet.
I really wish I had the show on hand so I could better refer back to it (it may have to be my first 10% discount at the AL store) but what youā€™re describing here Neil is why I think Planetes is great from a character perspective. I donā€™t have to like characters in order to enjoy them, I donā€™t have to relate to them, I just have to believe them. And from what I can remember, all of Planetesā€™ characters were believable human beings.

Even the manager and his deputy? šŸ˜…
Hence the caveat ā€œfrom what I can rememberā€ and in their case I honestly canā€™t (itā€™s been like, 10 years again since I saw the show) so I donā€™t imagine they were all that important in the grand scheme of things, but I could be wrong.

Episode 10
Such a sad episode. We get Yuri's backstory and his whole purpose to be in space. I'm now left with the question, if his mission is complete, does that mean he'll leave the debris section?

Episode 11
Another sad episode. From space, you can't see borders, only Earth.

Again, fascinating to me. I could do the latter in a heartbeat, but you couldn't drag me towards the former using the proverbial herd of wild horses.
Its interesting to me that we live in a world where seeking help from a doctor for a physical malady is so normal. Even going to the dentist just for check ups is fine yet seeking help for mental health issues is still so taboo on a societal level. I honestly think it would be better to have a system where therapy check ups are a normal thing.

Maybe it's because I watch a lot of Implicitly Pretentious and Cinema Therapy on youtube. Both channels are great (IP at dealing with trauma and CT with more general behavioural analysis) but it all just seems very clear to me that Yuris way of dealing with things is causing him self harm. In fact he would have died because of it if it weren't for Hachi so it feels like the show is siding with me there. Grief is something everyone goes through and if you need help to process it, be it from someone sharing your grief or a trained professional who can help guide you through it, theres nothing wrong with it.

Ending up in a position where your whole live is focussed backwards to a single event is essentially what trauma is (in a simplified manner). Yuri has spent years looking for the compass. His whole life is on hold because of what happened and the survivors guilt he feels. Getting therapy would have helped him. Finding the compass is a nice tv resolution but would it actually have helped emotional state in the end? He hasn't actually faced his emotional state only an avatar for it. I dunno. Grief and trauma are complicated but that's also precisely why we have trained professionals to help people through such things.

Hence the caveat ā€œfrom what I can rememberā€
Exactly. šŸ˜

They've yet to contribute anything to proceedings for me other than weak comedy and campy OTT voice performance. I understand that the manager is an anime-original character, though.

I can't help but think that the anime might've been a lot better if it had more closely adapted the original story. It seems as if it's the anime-original elements described by @D1tchd1gger (which seem to comprise the daft stuff and the lame attempts at comedy) that I'm just not gelling with.

I notice that the manga has a fractionally higher average score on MAL.

Yeah, yeah. This is why I was loathe to get involved without having the show to hand :p

I also wasnā€™t planning on getting involved with the therapy discussion (at least not in this topic) but @WMD has gone and done it now anyway so here we go:
It IS interesting because I think people tend to hold different views of therapy depending on whether or not they have ever needed or experienced it. As someone who has, I think it definitely has its place as a way of challenging your own (often unhelpful or unfounded) beliefs and assumptions about yourself and others. Itā€™s not unlike healthy debate in that sense, but more with yourself, and thatā€™s probably why I got along with it okay. What I donā€™t think therapy is able to do, but what I think a lot of people fear it does and hence avoid it, is alter your personality. I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything to fear from therapy, but at the same time I can understand that apprehension, because thatā€™s exactly the way I feel about mood-altering medications. I even feel apprehensive about admitting that out loud, because I know a lot of people see that as stigmatising people with mental health issues as well. We all have our own ways of dealing with things though and far be it for anyone to tell other people how to live or not, I think it all comes from a positive place of concern at not wanting to see people suffering.

Grief is something everyone goes through and if you need help to process it, be it from someone sharing your grief or a trained professional who can help guide you through it, theres nothing wrong with it.
Absolutely not. I totally agree with that. In fact, some part of me, locked away somewhere, probably quietly envies people who are capable of reaching out like that for the help they need. Props to them, genuinely.

In fact he would have died because of it if it weren't for Hachi
This is maybe an awful thing for me to say, so I hope that I can be given a bit of leeway here as I speak as someone who has felt low enough for long enough to have previously thought like this in real life, but... would that have been such a bad outcome for Yuri, in his own mind?

He could've held that compass in his hand and then been painlessly erased from existence by the oncoming space debris that he was so blissfully unaware of.

I'm playing devil's advocate to some extent here as well.

Finding the compass is a nice tv resolution but would it actually have helped emotional state in the end?
Possibly not, but it was probably the only thing he felt he had left to resolve, to learn what his wife had inscribed inside inside it but was so reluctant to share with him.

This is maybe an awful thing for me to say, so I hope that I can be given a bit of leeway here as I speak as someone who has felt low enough for long enough to have previously thought like this in real life, but... would that have been such a bad outcome for Yuri, in his own mind?
Now, this all ties in nicely because certainly one thing I DO remember is that one of the recurring themes in Planetes is that even if and when you donā€™t care about yourself, other people still care about you. And thatā€™s probably not something I would ever really have believed without therapy, so there :p

Episode 12

I've not smoked in 2 months now because the doctors were insistent that smoking massively increases the length of time it takes to heal from broken bones. So I massively understand how Fee feels constantly being thwarted from smoking. Especially if you kept thinking you were finally going to be able too!

The terrorist stuff almost felt a bit glossed over in some ways. Like theres no real debate going on about the rights and wrongs of energy consumption. Instead the show fills it time with more boring love triangle nonsense.

would that have been such a bad outcome for Yuri, in his own mind?

For me that's even more of an argument for him to get therapy to be honest. If dying is an acceptable resolution to the issue then the problem hasn't been solved at all. Grief is supposed to be a mechanism for processing our sadness so we can continue to live. Not be something that consumes us to self destruction.

I also wasnā€™t planning on getting involved with the therapy discussion (at least not in this topic) but @WMD has gone and done it now anyway so here we go
And I'm pleased you did, because it's an interesting topic and I dare say something that the writers would've been quite happy to provoke discussion of, exploring as they did the idea of coping mechanisms.

It IS interesting because I think people tend to hold different views of therapy depending on whether or not they have ever needed or experienced it.
Yeah, I think it's...

I think my own barrier against that kind of thing is that I just wouldn't be any good at trying to relate what was wrong. Because whenever something big's been eating me in the past and I've had a rare opportunity to maybe actually talk about it with someone I know, it all just gets trapped and won't form into coherent language. I imagine it'd be even worse if I found myself face-to-face with a complete stranger. I think that honestly takes a kind of bravery that I don't have in me, so hats off again, I say.

I wonder what kind of counselling would even have been available to Yuri in his line of work.

(Prod me if this line of conversation goes too far off-topic for this thread.)

even if and when you donā€™t care about yourself, other people still care about you. And thatā€™s probably not something I would ever really have believed without therapy, so there :p
Oh, that's very much real, ayase. I'm glad you were able reach the belief that that's true. šŸ‘Œ

David Brent was a caricature everyone found believable/relatable
On my god, I literally cannot suffer R***y G*****s. So much so that I've just discovered that I don't even want to type the man's name. šŸ˜…

Oh, that's very much real, ayase. I'm glad you were able reach the belief that that's true. šŸ‘Œ
I think thatā€™s why I was surprised by a lot of peopleā€™s initial dislike of Ai here, because while she is clearly quite naive she also has a lot of belief in positive, hopeful ideals. I do tend, for whatever reason, to still like characters like that even if I myself am nothing like that as a person (again, she seemed perfectly believable to me as a person who could exist). I think perhaps it is a bit of a childlike mentality but as I see it, in a fairly positive way, like someone hasnā€™t allowed life to grind them down like it does so many people.

I think my own barrier against that kind of thing is that I just wouldn't be any good at trying to relate what was wrong. Because whenever something big's been eating me in the past and I've had a rare opportunity to maybe actually talk about it with someone I know, it all just gets trapped and won't form into coherent language. I imagine it'd be even worse if I found myself face-to-face with a complete stranger. I think that honestly takes a kind of bravery that I don't have in me, so hats off again, I say.
Personally, I think therapists or counsellors not being people you know is one of the big draws. With anyone I know, there would be things I wouldnā€™t want to say or reveal which could either hurt them or my relationship with them, and so would simply keep inside. And with no outlet, no ability to explain how Iā€™m feeling or why, certain things would just eat away at me.

Edit: The like is for the therapy discussion, I think Ricky Gervais is hilarious :p

Last edited:
And I'm pleased you did, because it's an interesting topic and I dare say something that the writers would've been quite happy to provoke discussion of, exploring as they did the idea of coping mechanisms.
Indeed. And at the end if the day these simulwatches are more interesting when the heavier themes get discussed.

An internet forum is an interesting platform that can work as a safe space between similarly minded people who are simultaneously strangers and who know one another.

An internet forum is an interesting platform that can work as a safe space between similarly minded people who are simultaneously strangers and who know one another.
Itā€™s one of the great benefits of the internet and anonymity/pseudonymity as far as Iā€™m concerned. People on AUKN probably know me better than my real life friends and family at this point, because Iā€™m willing to reveal sides of myself I wouldnā€™t with them (though not all of them, some require other identities or complete anonymity, long live the chans). But thatā€™s enough off topic rambling for me for one day, get back to the show.

Back