In Space No One Can Hear You Clean - Planetes Simulwatch (Episode 26 - Finale)

Episode 12
There's needing a cigarette and then there's absolute desperation!

Manga note: Pretty much word for word from the manga chapter 3 apart from the romance stuff and the third drenching. Again Ai wasn't there yet and Cheng-shin and Lucie are anime original.

more closely adapted
I think they were trying for a bit of a better through line as the manga doesn't really do an introduction. Chapter 1 is like boom here's the crew let's tell you a story about one of them, chapter 2 is here's another story about one of the other crew members and then the same with 3. They don't really flow into each other, chapter 4 (episode 13 by the looks of the preview) is the first one that calls back to previous chapters.

The way anime is now compared to then, I would bet it would be half the length, but be more faithful, but also at the same time have some cuts to the original source material to fit it in to 12/13 episodes (although this is looking like it might cut some stuff as well as there's 26 chapters and with 13 eps they've only covered 5!)
Bit of a awkward comparison because apart from the mangaka there's a lot of differences between them, but Vinland Saga covered roughly 60 chapters in 24 episodes and was very faithful apart a slight shuffle of the order the events were told and half to one episode tops worth of original content.

An internet forum is an interesting platform that can work as a safe space between similarly minded people who are simultaneously strangers and who know one another.
It absolutely is, and I know that I myself have leaned on that pretty heavily in the past. (You'd never believe that I'm actually a very private person in real life!) I once jokingly called The General Conversation Area "the therapy zone". It wasn't a joke, though.

And with that, I'd better let everyone get back to Planetes likewise.

Cheng-shin and Lucie are anime original
Jesus, how many original characters does the anime need? 😅

Episode 11

Some focus on Claire with themes of belonging, geo-political issues affecting the development and progress of a nation, and the prejudices felt by less developed nations from better-off counterparts and even their own folk who have emigrated. Claire's not so subtle dislike & condescension of one hailing from her ex-country (she's American now don't you know) was nicely demonstrated with her body language. The reminder of how she challenges the same low opinions against herself daily by excelling likely added to the sting when seeing the poor sod struggling, but also eventually reminded her of their shared humanity. I'm liking how this show touches on such heavy subjects with gravitas but without getting bogged down or overly serious. Beautiful observation at the end about borders being a human construct.

Episode 12

Fee just wants a smoke!! A sorta pre-confession from Hachi at the end? And space terrorists (serving more in this case as a plot device rather than commentary on fanaticism). Somewhat unexpected, but very funny comedy at Fee's expense. She sure showed them though that you don't mess with a total bad@$$ like her!

I've not smoked in 2 months now because the doctors were insistent that smoking massively increases the length of time it takes to heal from broken bones. So I massively understand how Fee feels constantly being thwarted from smoking. Especially if you kept thinking you were finally going to be able too!
That's impressive willpower, well done! Think of all the money you can put towards anime instead heh.

Gosh I've come back to lots of chat when catching up in this thread. Have to concur with all the points raised. Grief definitely difficult to deal with for all but the approaches one adopts certainly vary based on personality. For some though that can lead to some destructive traits, almost like masochism by wanting to punish yourself for the perceived associated guilt to nihilistic extents. Therapy, or even just talking to someone can certainly make all the difference, but some (like myself & @Neil.T heh) would have to be dragged kicking & screaming, or ambushed! But friends&family support can really make all the difference for obstinate people like me at least. Again varying preferences with opening up to either trusted individuals with one's deepest fears, or the opposite where feeling comfortable only when talkong to a presumably non-judgemental stranger. @WMD mentioned about it being commonplace to seek medical advice from doctors with it being easier for people to stomach than doing so for mental health, which is true but again can be very personality dependent given that some will freely seek medical advice for any & everything, whilst others ignore their serious problems until the very last minute (again men generally tend to be more guilty of the latter). @ayase mentioned people's feelings on Ai, and it certainly is very refreshing having a very positive & idealistic individual in any group with they can really lift the mood and productivity, but I suspect the reason Ai can be so irritating is when she forces her worldview & opinions on to others whether they like it or not, with the assumption that only she can be right and everyone else is wrong. But I suspect that element is there to reflect her immaturity in that matter and hopefully demonstrate growth as the series progresses.

Episode 13
Back on Earth with no ship to do their work we meet Hachi's mother and younger brother. We also learn that his father is also an astronaut.

Yuri seems to connect with Kyutaro and through his interactions with him comes to a realisation. He seems to have finally come to terms with his wife's death and realises he doesn't need the compass any more, but also that dispite only going into space to find it, he's found something else and he will continue being an astronaut.

Meanwhile Hachi and Ai get closer. The scene on the beach was quite sweet, before being interrupted. I normally like romanse stuff, but I can't help thinking that there's a step or 2 missing between them starting to realise they like each other and kissing!

Manga note: Pretty much the same as chapter 4, again apart from the romance stuff. Again Ai isn't there yet. Their romance is different in the manga, but it is actually a kiss that starts Hachi down the road of thinking about her in that way, but it's definitely not on a beach at sunset!

Some mistakes I spotted in the script/subs. At the table Yuri says it's been 8 years since his wife died, but then later Hachi says it took him 6 years to find the compass. You could say that Yuri had to train first before going to space and that explains the 2 year difference. The accident was in 2068 and the year is 2076 in the intro, so I guess that adds up, but in the manga Yuri's chapter says 6 years later making it 2074 and then at the table says it was 7 years. So I guess they've changed the timeline a little.
When Yuri introduces himself the subs says Mihairokoh which looks like a literal translation of the Japanese katakana. In the manga in this scene it's written as Malakoff, but MAL has Mihalkov and Mikhalkov (which is probably the right one) on the Planetes wiki. Searching Mikhalkov and astronaut I found this:
Possibly his name is a nod to this and the author of the original material (who also happens to have written the Russian national anthem!) or maybe it's just a popular Russian family name.

Just to jump in with this previous point:

I was surprised by a lot of people’s initial dislike of Ai here, because while she is clearly quite naive she also has a lot of belief in positive, hopeful ideals.
Before I even got around to typing a response, Geriatric hedgehog pulled the thought straight out of my head:

I suspect the reason Ai can be so irritating is when she forces her worldview & opinions on to others whether they like it or not, with the assumption that only she can be right and everyone else is wrong.
That there is exactly why I haven't enjoyed her character so far. New to an environment that she knows precious little about, she comes charging in like a bull in a vacuum to loudly tell everyone else that they're thinking the wrong way and to override everyone else's wishes. I couldn't deal with an attitude like that. Get her away from me.

New to an environment that she knows precious little about, she comes charging in like a bull in a vacuum to loudly tell everyone else that they're thinking the wrong way and to override everyone else's wishes. I couldn't deal with an attitude like that. Get her away from me.
Perhaps that's why I like her despite not necessarily agreeing with her :p I've said before and I'll say again attitude > opinions and I'm a fan of people shaking things up. I think having someone (real or fictional) challenge other people’s perceptions is usually a good thing, and that goes both ways for Ai. More than anything I just seem to recall feeling a bit sorry for her, like being faced with the harsh realities of life from the point of view of someone still relatively innocent is probably quite a difficult experience. I say "probably" because I've been a cynic since my earliest memories, I can't even remember having any innocence to lose other than when I realised religion was b*ll*cks when I was about ten (like Ricky Gervais, oddly enough).

Episode 13

So Yuri finally talks someone instead of keeping things bottled up and it did him some good! I couldnt tell if I was supposed to like or hate Hachis brother. The amount of disrespect he throws out to everyone is insane though I guess he is 14 so maybe its not that far fetched.

I guess its because of the more SOL setting for this episode but it was the most fillery feeling episode so far. There was no real stakes or tension despite the brothers constant fighting. And Hachi and Ais move from outright hostility in every previous episode to actually why not make out on the beach is pretty dumb.

Episode 14
The crew get a new ship and on the way to the Moon on their first test flight they get a chance to "stick it to the man" again as they go against the wishes of the Section Three chief because he wants the man who knocked up his daughter destroyed mentally.

In the romance part we get the steps that I felt were missing from yesterday. Ai lays it out to Lucie why she feels the way she does and Hachi trys to ask her on a date before the clown of a man, the assistant manager, interrupts and then Hachi puts his foot in his mouth. But later after they have to work together on their mission they reach an understanding.

And Hachi and Ais move from outright hostility in every previous episode to actually why not make out on the beach is pretty dumb.
I wouldn't say it was outright hostility. Ai definitely had feelings for him and whilst he was being all blokey about it, maybe seeing his old friend with a family sparked something. And they were on a beach, with a sunset!
So whilst it was a little out of the blue I wouldn't say it was 0 to 100, but maybe 40 to 100 😅

Manga note: Episode 14 is another anime original, although we get the first mention of the Jupiter mission.

Episode 13

Accidentally watched this a couple of days back having forgotten about the break again.... So let's test my rubbish recall. I quite enjoyed this episode, it was nice to see the characters on earth and the Hachi family (& earth-friend!) interactions (though the dad remains elusive par whom I think he is in the opening credits). Found his mother's comments on recognising a good astronaut as "one who comes back safe", rather chilling. Will come back to Ai & Hachi. Yuri finally letting go of his emotional crutch was a really nice touch, especially the maturity & grace he dealt the situation with (I would've been transformed into a stereotypically melodramatic, screaming banshee needing restraining from inflicting grievous bodily harm on Hachi's brother...).

Episode 14

Toybox 2 (what a great name for a ship by the way) arrives!! How excited would Hachi be if he actually got a spaceship of his own?! This episode was mainly a focus on Hachi & Ai's developing relationship, which for me has been developed quite well over the show so far and been relatively believable. I don't think it's uncommon in more adult & longer-lasting relationships to start on acquaintance and general friendship terms before developing into romance, which is how I feel their's has been played. Can't say the show says very much in particular on the challenges in such matters though apart from the usual Romeo & Juliet predicaments.

And Hachi and Ais move from outright hostility in every previous episode to actually why not make out on the beach is pretty dumb.
Heheh I've clearly felt the opposite in the build up to this and the whole Earth/beach/Hachi-household/inadvertently bringing-a-girl-home environment for me engendered a sense of home & family and potentially a trigger for romance. So far Hachi had been doing the man thing and consciously denying any romantic interest, even though a subconscious foiling of his friend's date plans was indicated in previous episodes; him badgering, concern and fussing over Ai so much is in a similar vein, as he would just ignore her & have nothing but the bare minimum to say if he didn't care. The latter points can apply to Ai as well, even though both characters are generally very spirited, they do seem to save most of their energy to lash out at each other heh. She has clearly also had a sense of admiration relating to Hachi's skills and ambition and let's not forget getting jealous of a twelve year-old and regularly visiting him at hospital.
I wouldn't say it was outright hostility. Ai definitely had feelings for him and whilst he was being all blokey about it, maybe seeing his old friend with a family sparked something. And they were on a beach, with a sunset!
So whilst it was a little out of the blue I wouldn't say it was 0 to 100, but maybe 40 to 100 😅
Yup, I agree there and as I mentioned, I would also say that Hachi has exhibited feelings for her as well.

Episode 14
At least the will-they-wont-they wasn't dragged out for the whole series.

Episode 15
An Edel episode! Genuinely thought she would stay enigmatic throughout the series so it was good to see her getting fleshed out as a character. But blimey I wasnt expecting her to have had such a hard life. No wonder she's so no nonsense in the office, these days she just wants to get things done the right way and on her terms.

Episode 15
Some dark backstory for Edel, I'm guessing it was her getting beaten in the flashback! But she's made her way out of that hell and into space, and is working towards making something of her life.

That's one awkward date for Ai and Hachi! However did he cope with Claire when they were dating as she seems a lot more mature than Ai is at the moment. Talking of she seemed a bit upset when she saw them.
Cheng-shin was a bit mean with his "joke" I felt, thought he was supposed to be the straight arrow pretty fly boy, but came off as a jerk in that moment.

Manga note: Original again. Ai does have a pet Sea Cucumber in the manga.

Episode 16
Fighting yourself.
After an accident that leaves him floating alone in space Hachi suffers from Spatial Loss Disorder (probably a form of PTSD). After rehab and trying to escape onto the moon don't work, seeing the newest biggest engine ever does! Although he seems to be deluding himself by making the comparison with himself and rocket engineers.

Manga note: Chapter 5, but with a few bits shuffled round, lines given to characters that weren't there either due to being anime original or introduced earlier in the anime than in the manga and all the Ai stuff wasn't there as again not there yet. The brush with death makes him feel invincible initially, before the first test in the room, and it is here where he decides to join the Jupiter mission and the conversation with himself starts off with his subconscious self telling him he's not good enough to try out for it which gives a bit of added weight to the engine scene.
The scenes with the shady executives and the managers/Edel are original.

Episode 15

Edel's backstory a sad demonstration of a toxic relationship. She did incredibly well to break free and has true grit in the way she is working quietly, but relentlessly, towards her goal of a better life. Another one of the quietly competent team-workers alongside Fee & Yuri, in the background to Hachi & Ai's theatrics. Another one demonstrating dedication & work ethic is Claire. Really felt for her in the last two episodes with the difficulties & challenges she faces daily at work with the prejudice, & likely misogyny to boot, whilst trying to excel, having sacrificed having a life and relationship. Seems like Hakim may be her Prince in shining space-suit.

Episode 16

A very good episode, nicely summarising the themes the show has demonstrated through the stories of various characters thus far. These including those of life's purpose & ambition, be it career or loved ones, as well as the reality of their eventual loss or unattainability, presenting as self-doubt to Hachi during his rehab & testing from PTSD-induced space panic-attacks. Hachi's predicament could have been an easy, and understandable, way out to save face given the very real possibility of not being able to fulfill his dream. But again, like the other characters focused on previously, he is clearly made of stronger stuff than that. Beautifully done.

Random thoughts:
  • Hachi using the power hand grip, the way the old astronaut at the likely end of his career did prior to his suicide in a similar hospital room, was rather foreboding
  • Don't know if Sensei had planned some experimental electroshock therapy from the Jupiter-bound engine, but seeing the so far realistic take on sci-fi, I'll hazard it was just meant to serve as inspiration heh.

Episode 17
Hachi has a new dream and seems to be pursuing it seriously. Meanwhile his dad seems to be running away from it after his passion for space has dwindled, but seeing how coldly Locksmith responds to an accident he changes his mind because he thinks this kind of cold logic will take mankind further into space.
Elsewhere Claire seems to have been demoted because of mistakes, probably because she took too much on in her determination to prove herself and the jerk who put a lot of it on her plate probably did it on purpose.

Manga note: Chapter 6 with a few bits swapped around, scenes taking place in different places and again people who weren't there involved.
Extra scenes were Locksmith talking to Gigalt, the execs by the lake and Claire with Hakim.

Noticed on Gigalt's bio sheet he will be born in July this year!

Episode 17

Hachi's dad makes an appearance after being teased in the opening sequence so far, alongside the genius, conceited & inhuman Locksmith. One would have to be obsessed with a goal and lacking any sense of self-preservation to sign up to work for that man... Hachi demonstrating the weight of expectations under a celebrated parent and a realignment of his life's goal after his electroshock therapy. Or was going where no one has gone before always his real life purpose hidden under the guise of getting his own spaceship? It was very, very sad to see poor Claire demoted and seemingly having failed at her ambition despite her significant efforts & likely sacrifices. But what she said about not wanting the progression at the expense of others, may very well be hinting at her consciously or subconsciously having sabotaged her position & progress.

Stories like those of Claire, Fee and Yuri show how this show can excel at creating sympathetic and believable characters in a ridiculously efficient way with really only a fraction of the show's runtime used to focus on them individually. I find that pretty impressive.

Episode 18
Political maneuvers mean the jerk who heads Section 3 now gets control of 2 as well and he's swift to get his revenge on the Debris Section for ignoring his wishes previously. But on their last mission they defy him again and to take out an INTO mine.
Everyone takes the news differently. Fee and Yuri seem to be fine and will get work elsewhere, Edel is a temp and has other jobs, Lavie goes into ass* licking mode, Hachi is concentrating on the Jupiter Mission, the manager sees it as failure on his part and, of course, Ai wants to fight it.
It was good seeing the managers finally do something with their defiance at the end.

Manga note: Mostly original apart from Fee has a run in with a mine (an actual explosive type) in an arc towards the end of the mangas run in which she is the main focus, and Hakim's story about his country is from chapter 8.

EDIT: * had to use an Americanism to beat the censor!

Episode 19
Hachi is laser focused on going to Jupiter and everything else be damned.

Manga note: Training and selection is covered in chapter 8, but is completely different in lots of ways, number one being it's set in space.

Last edited:
Dearie me, where is everybody?! Oh well, no one can hear you ramble in space I guess.

Episode 18
Seele's capitalist branch hatch a scheme to stick Dolf where he won't rumble too many feathers. Lavie takes his shameless obsequiousness to new forehead-slapping levels. Though he does eventually start his crawl back towards self-respect, alongside the assistant director, near the end of the episode. Hachi has checked out of all things but his new life goal...oddly sad to watch his lack of interest in his work family, as even his heroic efforts here are to further help push himself towards the Jupiter mission. I think I missed the rationale behind INTO leaving data mines (was it to strand any ships getting close to particular no-go zones or something?).

Episode 19
The new intro shows a change in focus from the debris work to the Jupiter mission. This one's all about Hachi in cutthroat mode, ready to throw everyone and the pet dog under the bus to get to Jupiter. Must be nice to be ambitious... All I could think of was the boredom and monotony related to the mission, so guess I'd fail a test like that even before given the option up take it heh. Interesting show of the ruthlessness required to be a pioneer in missions with a ridiculous level of risk, confirming the need for driven individuals like Locksmith & the Hoshinos and the need to actually kill any empathy. Also, I'm taking a leaf out of the homeless dude's book and referring to Hachi as Tanaka now.

Episode 20
It feels almost like there needs to be a melancholic spin-off drama on Claire's story and her "descent" to the Debris section. Tanaka & Hakim mistake the new test for Battle Royale...or maybe not, given Locksmith being the mastermind behind it heh. I want that model of the Von Braun! Cheng Shin seems to take his frustrations out on Ai, though his point on her heartlessness was valid, not to mention her not even taking into account how someone that still pines for her would feel in that situation.

Back