ROW, ROW, FIGHT THE POWAH!!! Gurren Lagann complete simulwatch

Nia's terrifying cool headedness and logical inquisitiveness defeats both Kittan & General Adiane with ease. Also elicits Yoko's wrath by appearing pretty heartless regarding Kamina whilst emotions are still running high, despite her being honest and rightly trying to help Simon see his own potential & value.

Adiane's gunmen reminded me of Kill la kill's Goku uniforms. Simon running in solo into an impossible fight followed by an army was surely the inspiration for Jon Snow's in that episode of Game of Thrones!!

Yoko about to ask Simon to protect Kamina but refraining from doing so because it would be unfair to pile even more pressure on top of him was a great look into her.

Speaking of Yoko, she and Kamina have their moment, which has been a long time coming, much to Simon's distress. I've been there, it's an awful feeling that eats you on the inside. Oh boy, it's nothing in the grand scheme of things but you know it really hurt him just before such an important operation.
Can't let you have all self indulgence to yourself dude! You reminded me I forgot to mention how on my first watch I was completely in Simon's shoes thinking that Yoko was worried about Simon himself, especially after that earlier encouragement, so I for one was as thrown as poor Simon at her moment with Kamina. I was very impressed at how the creators constructed this misdirection (at least in my case - don't know if anyone else here was ever that gullible) as it made me quite viscerally feel Simon's pain and uncertainty in that episode... Poor little heartbroken Simon - hang in there dude, Bros before, uh I believe the term is girls? Anyhoo on re-watch it was so obvious (probably thanks to hindsight) that it was Kamina she was wanting to ask Simon to protect heh.

Can I take a second to say that I like Nia's hair? It's almost like it's clouds as it swirls about. One of the more unique hair styles shown in anime.
Totally agree! Probably the second time I thought a hairstyle was pretty darned cool without trying to be (first one was Kumiko's from Sound! Euphonium)
Kittan is just a mock-version of Kamina without the same level of charisma or respect.
You hit the nail on the head here for me, as I was literally just wondering after this watch that Kittan is exhibiting all that Kamina-esque bravado but why is it just not working for him?? And here you've said exactly why heh.

Nia's terrifying cool headedness and logical inquisitiveness defeats both Kittan & General Adiane with ease. Also elicits Yoko's wrath by appearing pretty heartless regarding Kamina whilst emotions are still running high, despite her being honest and rightly trying to help Simon see his own potential & value.

Adiane's gunmen reminded me of Kill la kill's Goku uniforms. Simon running in solo into an impossible fight followed by an army was surely the inspiration for Jon Snow's in that episode of Game of Thrones!!

Can't let you have all self indulgence to yourself dude! You reminded me I forgot to mention how on my first watch I was completely in Simon's shoes thinking that Yoko was worried about Simon himself, especially after that earlier encouragement, so I for one was as thrown as poor Simon at her moment with Kamina. I was very impressed at how the creators constructed this misdirection (at least in my case - don't know if anyone else here was ever that gullible) as it made me quite viscerally feel Simon's pain and uncertainty in that episode... Poor little heartbroken Simon - hang in there dude, Bros before, uh I believe the term is girls? Anyhoo on re-watch it was so obvious (probably thanks to hindsight) that it was Kamina she was wanting to ask Simon to protect heh.

Ahaha, you know you're in love with a hothead when you turn to the younger kid, knowing he's the level-headed brains of the team, wanting to ask him to protect the older kid (even if at 18, Kamina is more presented as a man)... I'm glad she didn't, it would've been too selfish.

I'm sure I had the same reading the first time around and there was that intention for sure. If you're a young watcher, odds are you'll want to deny all the signs that Simon's thing for Yoko is unilateral!

Simon x Nia ♥ 🛳

I'm glad she didn't, it would've been too selfish.
Very good point on her character, it really was selfless of her not to (and would've been practical, as you described about not piling on the pressure, were it not for Simon catching them kissing).

It's interesting how Nia comes straight in like a rescuing angel (CiaB more accurately heh, with the associated colourful text& fonts) after such a double tragedy for the poor sod, not only as the new love interest in Yoko's place but also as Simon's primary and unrestricted cheerleader in Kamina's place. As sorry as I eventually felt for Simon with his losses & tragedies, I felt so much more sorry for poor Yoko in the long run, that her heart was broken to such an extent that she went celibate and took on a role as a replacement mother/nurturer. At least Simon got to experience romance, however short-lived.

Episode 11

The episode in which Simon finally finds his purpose and now becomes his own hero, rather than someone trying to impersonate Kamina - thank to a bit of help from Nia giving him some friendly words.

It is interesting to see that even without Kamina, the men in Team Dai-Gurren still fall for the "saving sexy girls in peril" trap - an idiotic stratergy, but one that still works for the enemy. In the end it is good that it works, as being trapped is what causes Simon to get motivated as he uses his Core Drill to dig out to safety - although why he did not also use the drill to dig holes in all the handcuffs everyone wore, I don't know.

Beach episode next.

Very good point on her character, it really was selfless of her not to (and would've been practical, as you described about not piling on the pressure, were it not for Simon catching them kissing).

It's interesting how Nia comes straight in like a rescuing angel (CiaB more accurately heh, with the associated colourful text& fonts) after such a double tragedy for the poor sod, not only as the new love interest in Yoko's place but also as Simon's primary and unrestricted cheerleader in Kamina's place. As sorry as I eventually felt for Simon with his losses & tragedies, I felt so much more sorry for poor Yoko in the long run, that her heart was broken to such an extent that she went celibate and took on a role as a replacement mother/nurturer. At least Simon got to experience romance, however short-lived.

She appears at just the right moment for sure but I appreciate that Simon doesn't lose his way so much that he won't remain true to himself, he still does his best to help her run from the gunman and he still runs to her even without Lagann, that was heroic as hell! I guess she saves him more than he saves her, however...

Yeah, it messed Yoko up but doesn't she get together with Kittan, eventually?

Episode 11

This is, as others have mentioned, the episode where Simon finally finds the belief in himself that he was missing. In my opinion people were trying to be Kamina too much, and it doesn't work because they simply aren't Kamina. They are much better being themselves and doing the things they do best, in their own way.

It took the perspective of Nia, an outside who still lacks some tact/experience, in order to help Simon see that she only sees Simon for who he is, and he doesn't need to live up to Kamina's shadow.

I liked how they showed that Kamina had doubts and problems of his own, he just hid them behind bravado.

I'm really enjoying reading everyone else's posts about the episode content during this simulwatch, so just my usual replies and some musings...

'Lagann' ('spiral', here) is already similar in pronunciation with the unrelated (or is it...?) existing English word 'lagan'
Wow, I've never even heard of the word "lagan" before. 😯
From a Google search:

noun, archaic
(in legal contexts) goods or wreckage lying on the bed of the sea.

I'd be as good as sure that it's just simple coincidence, but that's almost a perfect description of what the Lagann is to Simon in terms of how he discovers it; it's a discarded ancient relic.

Brilliant.

Adiane's gunmen reminded me of Kill la kill's Goku uniforms.
You know, I feel like such a fool now for not consciously realising that. 🤦‍♂️
There was something tugging away at me when I saw her Gunmen again, but the thought didn't fully form in my head while watching.

I've said it before but, again, this is why I love simulwatches. Great spot, man.

Yoko about to ask Simon to protect Kamina but refraining from doing so
on re-watch it was so obvious (probably thanks to hindsight) that it was Kamina she was wanting to ask Simon to protect
That's very interesting, because it's never occurred to me that that's what Yōko could've been about to ask Simon. I've always read the situation as her weighing up asking something like "Say, Simon... does Kamina ever say anything about me?" but then she decides that it's too out-of-the-blue and thinks better of it.

why he did not also use the drill to dig holes in all the handcuffs everyone wore, I don't know.
They're probably coated with some kind of super-tough, drill-resistant material. 😛
That's the kind of explanation that writer Kazuki Nakashima would probably come up with.

As we'll totally see in movie #2 (and in Kill la Kill in a future simulwatch?), he really doesn't do plot holes. 👌😉

@Neil.T I was gonna say that one can read it in a variety of ways and while that is still true and inevitable given nothing concrete is said, the shift in her expression gives it away. One minute she's making small talk about volcanoes and then her face becomes completely straight and serious, in a way that betrays her awareness of how bad it can all go if Kamina is left to his "fighting spirit" antics.

I wouldn't assume all this hadn't she warned Kamina in the previous episode (I think it was) about being careful and how he could truly die, carrying on like that, etc.

I watched 11 yesterday but I'm gonna go and re-watch it anyway, because it's just that good. @Dai summed the most important thing about it already and it goes for the audience too, to an extent, even if we've always been aware of Simon's competence! Nia's reaction to seeing Simon just about mirrors mine when he tells Rossiu it's gattai time 🔥

Man, I love this dude.

Episode 11
Not much to add but it was good to see Simon using some initiative - a nice turning point for his character.

It is interesting to see that even without Kamina, the men in Team Dai-Gurren still fall for the "saving sexy girls in peril" trap - an idiotic stratergy, but one that still works for the enemy.
It's a supersecret strategy to instantly short circuit the Otaku brain. Oh wait, I think I heard a damsel in distress! be right back...

Well that was a close one, no help was requested and just narrowly avoided ending up in konosuba land. Back to the topic at hand.

Yeah, it messed Yoko up but doesn't she get together with Kittan, eventually?
I thought it didn't really get anywhere between those two and was mainly one sided? Hey ho, watching will refresh my memory no doubt.

My favourite aspect of episode 11 was the revelation of Kamina's moment of doubt and weakness in context this time, with his source of strength and confidence actually being Simon's resilience in the face of adversity, something which Simon has shown a number of times even when in a complete funk side Kamina's death, and something so far only Nia, as the only objective outsider, has been able to pick up. So it's good to see Simon finally believe in himself in the typical Gurren Lagann any-problem-can-be-fixed-by-sticking-a-drill-in-it.

Two posts! Six episodes! I can catch you, simulwatch, just see if I don't!
Apologies if ground has already been covered, I'll read through the thread after posting.

Episode 6 - Uncut Peni
screenshot014.jpg

So the bits the TV edit of this episode cut out... managed to include not only a nice little bit of motivation for Simon from overhearing Yoko but also the first mention of the Spiral King? And all the best comedy moments (Kamina trying so hard and still not getting what he wanted, not once, not twice but three times). Nice going, censors, bet that caused a bit of confusion. And they did put most of the episode's budget into the cut scenes, I thought the edited version looked worse than I remembered it!

Episode 7 - Ground Battleship Dai-Gunzan
screenshot039.jpg

I do enjoy Viral. He's like the negative image of Kamina, just as proud, stubborn, cocksure and given to posturing (and his name is an anagram of rival, hmm) but an oppressor, a flunky and a loser, rather than being an inspiration, a leader and a winner.

And speaking of inspiring, we get to see the results of Kamina (and Simon)'s myth-making when all their copycats homages show up. Which perhaps proves when Kamina does go full-on general mode that he also, to a certain extent, draws his belief in himself from those who believe in him (and then immediately passes that newly inflated belief straight on to Simon, which was both amusing and sweet). I like too how he partially pre-empts what Yoko is going to say to him at the end, proving he's not totally deaf to others' concerns and advice even if he might pretend otherwise.

Episode 8 - Raise Your (Death) Flags
screenshot036.jpg

The death of a parental figure or mentor is nothing new in mech shows. At least since Koji Kabuto's grandad bought it in the very first episode of Mazinger Z (oops, spoilers, but it's from 1972, that's like spoiling who won WWII at this point) it's been a pretty common motivator for the protagonist to get in the damn robot - Is there a single Gundam pilot whose parents are still alive?

But has it ever been done to the same effect, with characters whose relationship to each other was such a deep and defining part of both their characters? I don't think it has. We get it, Koji cared about his grandad because it was his grandad, and most are able to understand what that connection is like. But how much of their relationship did we see beforehand? Did we really care? Not a lot and not particularly, I don't think. We're able to understand that as motivation but we didn't really feel that connection, we didn't feel his sense of loss in a real way, the same goes for a lot of these dead mecha parents.

With Kamina and Simon, you absolutely do feel how important they are to each other. Their belief in and support of each other was such a core dynamic of the show. And even while using it to encourage him to believe in... the him that believes in him(?), Kamina's very last moment is still spent proudly and confidently believing in Simon. I don't think it made me cry the first time but it did this time, dammit.

Last edited:
Yes, but we didn't get to see any of his (utterly desperate) failed attempts because they were all cut in the TV version! So I don't think it has quite the same comedic value for him to finally get his wish at the end.
Ah yes I see your point now, clearly brain is either in the gutter or switching off. Actually it's both, but at least sleep may arguably fix one problem and switch brain back on later and on that note, it's bed time!

Finally caught and up to date and went one further or not anymore since it past midnight (was like 5 episodes behind)
So I'll just go with episode 12:
The breif beach episode, which they managed to squeeze a hint of story build up in with the fan service, gave Yoko some jealousy vibes of Nia to make you worry that she just gonna take Nia out at the end.
And Simon/Gurren lagann is back in full swing, and the importance of you can drill through anything, even water

Episode 9 - What's in the box!?
screenshot044.jpg

I forgot about the title cards changing, that's a nice touch. This episode certainly does a good job of making everything feel very different, almost like Kamina's death has taken us to a bleaker world. My Lagann knowledge is far from comprehensive (I'm sure Neil will tell me :p) but I'm guessing guest director? The art is very obviously different but so is a lot of the storyboarding, some shots are even downright creepy. Then Nia literally brings the colour back into Simon's life and brightens his day. Bit cheesy, but I'll accept it. Subtlety isn't really GL's thing. And so it is that the show finally reveals its surprise best girl...

Episode 10 - Your cruel device, your blood like ice~
screenshot050.jpg
You didn't think I meant NIA? Who the Hell do you think I am!?
I broke Leawo Player twice trying to get screencaps of Adiane without a frame advance function, that tells you all you need to know there. No wonder I already feel a degree of respect for Viral, (beast)man has taste. Just look at that mech (セイルーン? No relation? There is a certain resemblance) and its whip and underboob eyes and actual vagina dentata hatch. And as for Adiane herself, there's, well, absolutely everything about her design, animation and personality. How much do I have to bribe some production studio to get more women with BIG mouths instead of small ones? What a terrifying, violent, truly despicable sadist. I'm in love.

Ahem. Yeah, so there was other stuff in this episode I guess. Simon and Kittan both struggling to find their inner Kamina, they're both attempting to fill the void he's left and imitation is all they can really come up with at this point, because neither of them are really confident enough to be themselves. And I don't dislike Nia, not really. She might be a bit too nice for my liking but even she has enough fire inside her to stand her ground and spit some truth (to everyone) which is worthy of respect.

Episode 11 - Just be yourself, bro
screenshot056.jpg

Not gonna lie, while it's an important episode for Simon (and for Nia, actually) and those pivotal scenes are good, I did find the pacing a little off here. It seemed to take a long time to really do much, like they had the big ideas down then had to pad it out quite a bit. Or perhaps it's because it already felt a bit like Simon and Nia had already got most of the way towards this growth in the previous episode?

Had to smile at Leeron just knowingly nodding away while everyone else was stunned and awed by Simon's moment of self-realization. Leeron never stopped believing. What a bro (or sis, or whatever). I also liked how the "cute girls" all looked like they had been dropped in from an anime about ten years older than the show.

Last edited:
Ep 10
Nia innocent home truths are too soon. I was thinking that she appears too soon after Kamina's death and that Simon would be back on his feet by the end of the episode, but if anything he's even more depressed now after his failure to help Nia even though as she says he was the first one to attempt it.

Ep 11
I'm ME!
Simon realises it time to break free from the pain and remembering Kamina's words literally breaks free from prison with the help of Lagann. I guess as his determination grew Simon unconsciously called to it and it came to him.
Nia also gets some unwelcome information and it seemed to affect her briefly before shaking it off.

Ep 12
Beach episode, but instead of pausing for a whole episode like other shows do it's quickly time to move on. The whole boys leering at Yoko in hope of her wearing a swimsuit was weird since she wears next to nothing all the time! I guess it was a set up because she comes out in a less revealing outfit LOL
Adiane's gunmen reminded me of Kill la kill's Goku uniforms.
Her outfit in the image after the ad break had a familiar look to a certain outfit in that show:
Same colour scheme as Senketsu.
DSC_2813.JPG

Back