[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

I forgot about the Native BD for UY, it would be lovely to have a western release (I missed out on most of the US DVD release, only got 10 vols)
Yes, I used to daydream about having a full set of UY back in the day, but 50 volumes would have been a massive investment, even in the Golden Age of Importing when we were getting two dollars to the pound (we won't be seeing those days again :confused:). I still have the eight volumes that Anime Projects released on VHS in the mid-90s, plus a random selection of 10 DVDs that I picked up on eBay when some kind soul was selling them for a few pounds each.

Oh, I actually have a JP PS3 that plays Region A blu-rays but out of pure laziness, I didn’t want to pull it out of storage. Thank you for responding though, I appreciate it! I’ll most likely jump on the set when it releases.

Discotek happened to tweet this evening that "they have no plans for further DVDs. Anime fans simply don't buy them in quantity."
Yeah and they even went out to try and further promote the SD Blu-ray concept, which honestly I was against at first but when you look into the details more it's actually a lot more beneficial than expected. Shelf space, less discs, better audio presentation, better subtitles and slightly better video quality I believe as well.

For instance, let's take the best example here for those who are not familiar with the format - Fist of the North Star - a whooping 152 episode series that required 21 DVD discs across 4 big box sets and one super chunky brick which even had some QC issues. The SD BD version was able to trim it down to 3 Blu-ray discs in a regular case, perfect for shelf-space and also amends the QC problems. Sure it's region locked but it's the best way to own it so far. $90 SRP.

Another example which was pointed out by Discotek - BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo - which has 76 episodes and was also dubbed in English which would usually require even more DVD discs. The show is notable for having tons of on-screen text which the DVD format wouldn't be able to handle successfully and has been rectified by the Blu-ray format. There's also bunch of extras. $70 SRP.

Funimation March 2021 line-up.

AnimeContentFormatDatePriceAudioNotes
Asteroid In Love12 epsBlu-ray30th$64.98English
Japanese
Attack on Titan Season 322 epsBlu-ray2nd$59.98English
Japanese
Black Clover Season 3 Part 39 epsBD/DVD
Limited Ed.
30th$69.98English
Japanese
LE contents:
Rigid Box to house Parts 1-5
Black Clover Season 3 Part 39 epsBD/DVD30th$54.98English
Japanese
BOFURI12 epsBD/DVD
Limited Ed.
16th$84.98English
Japanese
LE contents:
Rigid Box
24 x 14 inch gaming playmat
80-page artbook
6 art cards
sticker
BOFURI12 epsBlu-ray16th$64.98English
Japanese
A Certain Scientific Railgun T Part 112 epsBD/DVD2nd$64.98English
Japanese
Dragon Ball Z Season 834 epsBlu-ray
Steelbook
2nd$59.98English
Japanese
Dragon Ball Z Season 938 epsBlu-ray
Steelbook
2nd$59.98English
Japanese
Fruits Basket 2nd Season Part 213 epsBD/DVD
Limited Ed.
23rd$84.98English
Japanese
LE contents:
3 art cards feat. special characters
15 art cards with painted artwork
3 zodiac animal figures
Fruits Basket 2nd Season Part 213 epsBD/DVD23rd$64.98English
Japanese
Goblin Slayer: Goblin's CrownfilmBlu-ray30th$34.98English
Japanese
Crunchyroll license
If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan,
I Would Die
12 epsBlu-ray9th$64.98English
Japanese
Delayed from February date
One Piece Season 11 Part 113 epsBD/DVD23rd$39.98English
Japanese
Phantasy Star Online 2 Episode Oracle12 epsBlu-ray9th$64.98JapaneseNo dub, sub only.

Last edited:
i guess this means we'll probably get AoT S3 in march/april from Manga, just hope they bring over Asteroid and will be interested to see if they continue dvd only on One Piece or bring the blu-ray over too

It would be nice to see a UK release for If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die but I doubt it's something Manga will think will sell...

It would be nice to see a UK release for If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die but I doubt it's something Manga will think will sell...
I would like the to see the manga get an official English release. The character art is really nice:
Screenshot_20201217-141748.png
As you can see it's on bookwalker.jp. I used their request an eBook thing, but I'm not sure if that works if there is no official English release, especially if KADOKAWA weren't the original publisher. Worth a try.

I would like the to see the manga get an official English release. The character art is really nice:
View attachment 16124
As you can see it's on bookwalker.jp. I used their request an eBook thing, but I'm not sure if that works if there is no official English release, especially if KADOKAWA weren't the original publisher. Worth a try.

Yeah I’d love to see the manga licensed, other stuff in the same magazine has been so it’s not totally impossible. Maybe Seven Seas could go for it seeing as it’s their kind of thing.

If you get the chance, have a look at Mahoraba heartfelt days, it's a fun show, it always surprised me it didn't get picked up before.
I'll probably grab most of the upgrades, City Hunter 2, Kenichi, Kodocha (yay 2nd half finally) Black rock shooter TV, Lupin III part 3 and of coarse Mahoraba.
I was hoping for more about Urusei Yatsura movies but that will come, also hoping for the TV but it will only be SD BD if it does (too long) would have been over the moon for something like Cheeky Angel or Angel Heart but too soon for AH as it is a spin off from City Hunter.
Not a bad bunch of pick ups though.

I've been wanting to get Mahoraba for years too! :) Urusei Yatsura TV interests me but realistically I think I would only watch it all once :/ I would love to see a release for Cheeky Angel though, and Angel Heart did look good as well (I'm not even a City Hunter fan particularly). The shows/movies that I might pick up from the list of announced titles are:

Kodocha - SD Blu-ray
Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple - Blu-ray
Grimm's Fairy Tales - SD Blu-ray
Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~ - Blu-ray
Medabots Season 3 - SD Blu-ray
Black Rock Shooter - Blu-ray
Arion - Blu-ray

Ninja Robots also looks really fun XD

Of the Funimation titles the ones that interest me are A Certain etc etc and that Pop Idol Budokan Death thing (yes I know what it is and what it's about lol) :)

Bad News!

1st January, the VAT rules change, and that means JB Hifi will stop shipping to the UK.

That's concerning there is a workaround as I have friends in Australia to send parcels to me. Still....😡

Bad News!

1st January, the VAT rules change, and that means JB Hifi will stop shipping to the UK.

I actually received an e-mail from JB Hi-Fi informing me of this. It was nice for them to do this (they even referred me by my name for the e-mail instead of a generic term "customer"), but it's a shame nonetheless that it had to come down to this.

I actually received an e-mail from JB Hi-Fi informing me of this. It was nice for them to do this (they even referred me by my name for the e-mail instead of a generic term "customer"), but it's a shame nonetheless that it had to come down to this.
I got an email too. Looks like I ordered Jojo Rabbit 4K just in time.

That's concerning there is a workaround as I have friends in Australia to send parcels to me. Still....😡
Care to share your friends 😁

I got an email too. Looks like I ordered Jojo Rabbit 4K just in time.

Care to share your friends 😁
There are forum members on here from Australia. It is mutually beneficial for both parties to pick up titles for each other.
The same goes with the USA.
In fact yesterday I befriended another Australian on Twitter whilst talking about a release on mvm.

Yep, my Emma Kickstarter is (slowly) on it's way to me. I have all kinds of orders from Rightstuf and AOL out there lost in the massive COVID/Christmas backup somewhere, some sitting for 10+ days at different mail hubs, so who knows when it will finally arrive. I kind of wish Rightstuf would have just waited until sometime after the new year to ship Emma out, so there would have been less chance for it to get lost or damaged with the huge mail backlog we have right now.

Back