Format preferences: DVD or BD

I think you underestimate their popularity. They may not be so popular on this forum which leans more towards Blu-rays but they obviously sell enough to warrant DVD releases.
i'd think most of their sales comes from stuff on dvd only or kids stuff, i don't really pay attention to stuff if it isn't on blu-ray anymore but i think pretty much all their pokemon, yugioh, naruto, one piece and power rangers stuff are pretty much the reason they're still doing dvd releases because it's an all or nothing situation for fans of those series over here

I think you underestimate their popularity. They may not be so popular on this forum which leans more towards Blu-rays but they obviously sell enough to warrant DVD releases.
That's fair enough.
Show's like DBZ, One Piece, MHA, BC will sell better on DVD but shows like Cop Craft, Fairy Gone, Zombieland Saga, Slime, Shield Hero, New Game etc would sell better on blu-ray especially when some of are Blu-Ray only titles in the US.

That's fair enough.
Show's like DBZ, One Piece, MHA, BC will sell better on DVD but shows like Cop Craft, Fairy Gone, Zombieland Saga, Slime, Shield Hero, New Game etc would sell better on blu-ray especially when some of are Blu-Ray only titles in the US.
A Manga rep recently said he was looking at the data a little while back and DVDs still made up around 80% of their sales, I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon...

To be blunt I don't know a single person who still buys DVDs and I usually just see them end up in bargain bins. I wouldn't even mind if they stopped including them with Blu-rays releases. Instead of putting a Blu-ray and a useless DVD duplicate of the same content, I'd rather them include a small art booklet.

I mean, end of the day they’re still producing them so someone must be buying them. Based on their track record Manga would drop DVDs in a heartbeat if they weren’t turning a profit, halfway through a series or not.
Mass production of DVDs is super cheap, you can have them mass produced with a colour image for pennies a piece. I think that companies have arranged discounts whereby they get a better price per unit for their entire order if they order both a Blu-ray and DVD version of a product. So they go ahead and order both, as even though it's more expensive than just blu-ray production it was overall better value for money. However if you aren't selling that DVD stock it just becomes a burden and that itself is a cost.

To be blunt I don't know a single person who still buys DVDs and I usually just see them end up in bargain bins. I wouldn't even mind if they stopped including them with Blu-rays releases. Instead of putting a Blu-ray and a useless DVD duplicate of the same content, I'd rather them include a small art booklet.
I'll still buy a DVD if it's not available on Blu-ray, I recently bought Going Postal on DVD. In general though I'm going to start trying to buy on 4k as long as they come with a blu-ray, so I get the best quality (and ready for when I have a 4k screen and PS5).

Last edited:
Probably worth mentioning here that I'm still picking up DVDs here and there.

I also really miss Discotek's DVD releases. It was AWESOME to know I could buy a show we'd almost certainly never get in the UK and it'd work in a region 2 player. There are some shows in particular that I feel INSANELY grateful to have got hold of like that (Giant Gorg and the original Harlock come to mind.)

Same here. I'm watching Erased on DVD at the moment, and I've just ordered Hyouka, Escaflowne and Durarara season 2 DVDs from the AL sale as well.

Sometimes, the media format doesn't even come into it, as far as I'm concerned. I mean, I won't say that I don't notice the difference between HD and SD. And I'll generally try to get hold of something I really want in the best media format possible. But I'm not too precious about it.

I often wonder if too many folks obssess over HD quality and lose sight of the fact that anime is / should really be about entertainment value. I say that because I've seen discussions where people get persnickety over getting high quality home video releases of the absolute WORST dross the medium has to offer. And I'm also long enough in the tooth that I remember the days where getting a particular show or movie on DVD was the only way to own it. It still is, in plenty of instances!

Also, on the point of DVDs being cheap to mass produce, which somebody raised earlier... they really are! I'm actually drawing up a plan regarding the stuff I do on YouTube for next year that might lead to physical media sets of selected videos. (None of my old anime stuff, before anyone asks.) It's sufficently low cost, even factoring for post Brexit price increases, that it satisfies my definition of 'low risk.' I honestly never tought I'd ever consider doing that!

I often wonder if too many folks obssess over HD quality and lose sight of the fact that anime is / should really be about entertainment value. I say that because I've seen discussions where people get persnickety over getting high quality home video releases of the absolute WORST dross the medium has to offer. And I'm also long enough in the tooth that I remember the days where getting a particular show or movie on DVD was the only way to own it. It still is, in plenty of instances!
Honestly seeing a lot of discussions of video quality really makes me wonder whether these people actually care about the show itself. Sure it's nice to have good quality but at the end of the day I'm paying for entertainment value and not the amount of bitflops per banded minute or whatever

Back