Format preferences: DVD or BD

I've made my thoughts clear in the past, while I collect Blu-ray being the superior format I think DVD's are a fine substitute. I'll never accept the argument that DVD is unwatchable because it's an out of date format as that's just stupid elitism. Also spoiler alert Blu-ray is also an out of date format, now let's all hurry up and adopt the glorious 8k future.

I tried Leawo first becase it was free. Out of the 3 programs I have it's the one I will only use if the other 2 fail which thankfully isn't too often. It's a horrid program to use, the only way I found to get it to play was to go down the chapters on the side and keep picking them until I find the first episode. Sometimes it can be very difficult to get it to play the English dub or have subtitles. It never comes up with a title screen. This is exactly the kind of issue that makes playing a Blu-ray a horrible, frustrating experience.

I've never had any issues with the latest versions of Leawo, seems to work fine for me on any of my i5 computers, other that it does take some time for it to load and convert a disc with a region different from what the Blu-ray drive is set to. Choosing subtitles is just like VNC, just a pulldown menu and select the subtitle, and it is remembered through the entire viewing session. When I watch anime on my computers, I am usually marathoning many episodes, so the only control I tend to use is the Skip Forward button to skip past the OP/ED/Previews, lol.

My main anime viewing is in my theater room on a proper multi-region Blu-ray player though, so I rarely need to play a Blu-ray on my HTPC, which is in the same A/V cabinet. On my main home PC, I mostly stream anime, so again I rarely use the Blu-ray drive in that one. But I do play a lot of both Region A and Region B Blu-ray discs on my All-in-One PC, both when I travel for work and am staying overnight in a hotel room, and when the neighbors and I are sitting out on the back deck in the summer evenings watching anime. The slight bit of inconvenience with using a computer-based Blu-ray software is well worth it for all the fun we have watching anime outside on a warm summer night with company, snacks, and alcohol!

I think the era of using DVDs as the test of the show is over for 99% new stuff esp manga/funi stuff as streaming has replaced that now, Like MHA I dont really like would never get on DVD as bits still look nice I would want them on HD also if I ever do get back to Fire Force. I think streaming is replacing DVDs as the cheap option only say films I can see but AL Are trying to stream most of those and say Eva 4 whoever gets it will want streaming esp if it does follow the TV show to a company

For me the DVD vs Bluray format war is easy, I prefer Bluray but still have a fair few DVD's

As for what I buy is different:

DVD:
Would buy if its the only option
Would not buy if its streaming or on Bluray

Bluray [Standard]:
Would buy if its the only option [Not streamed]
Would consider if its a show I enjoyed
Would not buy if its on a streaming service and I haven't given it a try

Bluray [CE/LE/UE]
Would buy if I enjoy the show / franchise

Been a guy who used to buy VHS I’m actually fed up of replacing my things with the latest version. VHS to DVD was a huge step, DVD to Blu-ray is a nice one, especially now, the difference isn’t as huge but go from an early DVD to a new Blu-ray there is a noticeable difference. I’m not into 4k... especially when they are talking 8 & 10k already.. might just skip the next 2 😂

I like Blu-rays I’ve ordered a few but I’m replacing old DVDs, Devil Man, Angel Cop etc. The DVDs I have aren’t very good but would like to see the newly mastered DVD vs the Blu-ray.. I’d bet they don’t look massively different.

Back