UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Now that Turn-A Gundam and Cyber City Oedo have finally materialised, are many titles left that AL licensed years ago but have never released? The main one that springs to mind is Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, since they licensed that back in 2016, IIRC. Easily one of the best shows of the last decade, but about five people watched it, which may be the problem.

Now that Turn-A Gundam and Cyber City Oedo have finally materialised, are many titles left that AL licensed years ago but have never released? The main one that springs to mind is Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, since they licensed that back in 2016, IIRC. Easily one of the best shows of the last decade, but about five people watched it, which may be the problem.
Cyber City Oedo is actually a relatively new license compared to Turn A. The only notably older license we haven't had any concrete news on yet is High School Fleet but I think they said they have plans for a release for late 2021 or 2022? Not too sure on that one

As for Rakugo I'm pretty sure AL lost the license a while back

Because of the Crunchyroll & Funimation partnership a few years ago, Anime Limited no longer has the rights to Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju.

To my knowledge here are the titles yet to be released on home video announced by year:
TV Shows:
  • Comet Lucifer
TV Shows:
  • High School Fleet
Films:
  • Anemone: Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution
  • Eureka Seven: Hi-Evolution 3
Films:
  • Cardcaptor Sakura: The Sealed Card
TV Shows:
  • Gakuen Basara: Samurai High School!
  • Kakegurui: Compulsive Gambler
  • Lupin the Third Part 5
  • Persona 5 the Animation
TV Shows:
  • Cardcaptor Sakura
  • InuYasha
  • We Rent Tsukumogami
Films:
  • Inu-Oh
  • Josee, the Tiger and the Fish
  • Love Me, Love Me Not
  • Lupin the Third: The First
  • On-Gaku: Our Sound
  • The Deer King
  • Violet Evergarden I: Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll
  • Violet Evergarden the Movie
  • Your Name [4K]
TV Shows:
  • Ascendance of a Bookworm
  • Black Lagoon: The First Barrage, Second Barrage & Roberta's Blood Trail
  • Blood-C & Blood-C: The Last Dark
  • In/Spectre
  • K: Seven Stories
  • Konosuba - God's Blessing in this Wonderful World - Season 2
  • Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club
  • Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
  • Mawaru Penguindrum
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Evangelion: Death(true)2 & The End of Evangelion

Last edited:
Is anyone still waiting for a day one order to ship?
I made five orders and aside from one explicit “waiting for new stock” order all have shipped except day one, and one of those was made on the 11th

Made 4
Is anyone still waiting for a day one order to ship?
I made five orders and aside from one explicit “waiting for new stock” order all have shipped except day one, and one of those was made on the 11th
Made 4 orders on 1st day and 1 on the 2nd, only 1 of those have shipped, whereas the 2 later orders I made have shipped.

My guess is either they're prioritizing the smaller, simpler orders first, or certain stock is still being moved to the fulfillment center, and the larger the order the more likely it is to be depending of some of that stock?

Unfortunately in this case it does. We don't know what exactly was agreed in the contract but it's also a fact that Funimation nuked the Anime Limited store and restricted their sublicenses to the Christmas sales. The anime industry works in mysterious ways
I think in the Manga buyout the affected titles were purely Funimation releases via Anime Limited as a publisher. Anything actually owned by Anime Limited contracted through Crunchyroll though shouldn't be affected however otherwise things like Re:Zero would have also been pulled.

It's like when Disney launched Disney+ after waiting patiently for Netflix license to stream their things expired.

I think in the Manga buyout the affected titles were purely Funimation releases via Anime Limited as a publisher. Anything actually owned by Anime Limited contracted through Crunchyroll though shouldn't be affected however otherwise things like Re:Zero would have also been pulled.

It's like when Disney launched Disney+ after waiting patiently for Netflix license to stream their things expired.
I'm pretty sure Re:Zero is actually one of the shows they licensed direct from Japan so it wasn't affected by the partnership.

Really? Contracted agreements don't just disapear because of a buyout or merger.
Well they did. Ace Attorney, Bungo Stray Dogs, Free! Iwatobi Swim Club, Joker Game, Mob Psycho 100, and Sound! Euphonium were all killed by that partnership. Sound! Euphonium did come back but took many months.

Then Funimation acquiring Manga resulted in ALL OF THESE getting snapped by a gauntlet.
  • Absolute Duo
  • Assassination Classroom: Season 1
  • Assassination Classroom: Season 2
  • Attack on Titan: Junior High
  • Barakamon
  • Blazblue: Alter Memory
  • Blood Blockade Battlefront: Season 1
  • Brothers Conflict
  • Buddy Complex
  • Chaos Dragon: Sekiryuu Seneki
  • Claymore
  • Dagashi Kashi
  • Daimidaler: Prince vs Penguin Empire
  • Death Parade
  • Dimension W
  • Divine Gate
  • Eden of the East
  • Fairy Tail: Parts 10 to 22
  • Free! Eternal Summer
  • Gangsta.
  • Gonna Be the Twin-Tail!!
  • Haruchika
  • Heavy Object
  • High School DxD BorN
  • Hyouka
  • Lord Marksman and Vanadis
  • Lucky Star
  • Mikagura School Suite
  • NINJA SLAYER FROM ANIMATION
  • No-Rin
  • Noein ~to your other self~
  • Noragami Aragoto
  • Ouran High School Host Club
  • Overlord: Season 1
  • Prison School
  • Project Itoh: Genocidal Organ
  • Project Itoh: Harmony
  • Project Itoh: The Empire of Corpses
  • Psycho-Pass 2
  • Psycho-Pass: The Movie
  • Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
  • Riddle Story of Devil
  • The Rolling Girls
  • Selector Infected WIXOSS
  • SHIMONETA
  • Shomin Sample
  • Show By Rock!!: Season 1
  • Snow White with the Red Hair: Season 1
  • Snow White with the Red Hair: Season 2
  • Tenchi Muyo GXP
  • Tokyo ESP
  • Yona of the Dawn
  • Yurikuma Arashi
So yeah, there's a lot of reasons as to why UK anime fans are concerned about Funimation buying Crunchyroll. Because titles like Konosuba, Re:ZERO, Rokka, Sound! Euphonium (again) etc. honestly could go at any moment if required to do so.

Didn’t Manga release this in the UK? It comes with an artbox to fit season 1 into, I bought both seasons a few months back
Manga has the rights to Season 1, but Season 2 (Aragoto) went to Anime Limited. When Funi bought Manga, they did take over some of the stock left over and that was one of them.

@NormanicGrav Correct me if I am wrong but aren't those titles Funimation licenses published through Anime Limited while a show like Konosuba is a Anime Limited License contracted through Crunchyroll? That was the difference I was trying to exemplify. I'm certainly concerned at the buyout don't get me wrong.

Also I google Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and found out they lost that license back in 2017 anyway so that wasn't related to the merger at all.

Manga has the rights to Season 1, but Season 2 (Aragoto) went to Anime Limited. When Funi bought Manga, they did take over some of the stock left over and that was one of them.
Ahh, that makes sense. I always assumed it was Manga since the box only carried the FUNi logo but a few of the FUNi titles released by AL came out like that iirc

@NormanicGrav Correct me if I am wrong but aren't those titles Funimation licenses published through Anime Limited while a show like Konosuba is a Anime Limited License contracted through Crunchyroll? That was the difference I was trying to exemplify. I'm certainly concerned at the buyout don't get me wrong.

Also I google Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and found out they lost that license back in 2017 anyway so that wasn't related to the merger at all.

While Funimation distributed them in North America, Crunchyroll is the main license holder. The details are complicated as a lot of stuff was admittedly never revealed publicly for obvious reasons, but Rakugo Shinju is definitely among the titles lost during the Crunchyroll & Funimation partnership and wasn't officially made public until someone asked them at an MCM panel upfront.

While Funimation distributed them in North America, Crunchyroll is the main license holder. The details are complicated as a lot of stuff was admittedly never revealed publicly for obvious reasons, but Rakugo Shinju is definitely among the titles lost during the Crunchyroll & Funimation partnership and wasn't officially made public until someone asked them at an MCM panel upfront.
Fair enough then :) I was just speculating anyhow

Fair enough then :) I was just speculating anyhow
No worries, a lot of anime fans from recent years wouldn't know as it feels like it happened a generation ago. I had to double check when that partnership occurred and it was September 2016, so that was a couple of months after Anime Limited last acquired a bunch of Crunchyroll titles. Some did survive like Konosuba, Re:ZERO, Rokka, Testament of Sister New Devil, and Twin Star Exorcists which were mainly dubbed by different studios than Funimation (that being said I think Mob Psycho was also dubbed by a different studio).

Back