UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I think this is a likely scenario, since I think Sony know the value of a brand. For the UK, I think licensing from AL and MVM won't be impossible, maybe just more complicated. Maybe I'm just guessing and wildly wrong but I don't think just because FUNimation licenses something means that everything defaults to Manga, there's still potential for stuff to be picked up by others as seen with Iron Blooded Orphans and a handful of other FUNi titles that AL still have the rights to even now their partnership is done.

Open to anyone correcting me on this, as I'm purely speculating.
With Iron-Blooded Orphans, I believe Sunrise only gave them the US & Canada rights which is how Anime Limited was able to grab them.

There's going to be a bit of a shitstorm if the CR titles remain exclusive to Manga solely.

ReZero would get released but in a shite CE in comparison to ALs it’s more the things like Given which is/was acclaimed but is a genre that does not do well (or never been given a chance)

With Iron-Blooded Orphans, I believe Sunrise only gave them the US & Canada rights which is how Anime Limited was able to grab them.

There's going to be a bit of a shitstorm if the CR titles remain exclusive to Manga solely.
I was surprised when AL were able to get the rights for the fourth Code Geass movie, I was totally expecting Manga to release that one, so I guess that would be a similar case of Sunrise only giving FUNi the US/Canada rights?

Oh I can only imagine the **** show that would ensue because so many titles would go unreleased, even unacknowledged.

Here's hoping this is all worst case scenario speculative talk and sublicensing will still go ahead. How Crunchyroll sublicense's stuff doesn't seem to be too different to Aniplex afterall. Though until somone from the industry comments that's all we can do.

Hope Mangauk ends up releasing way more titles on blu-ray than they currently do, would be really bad if the Sony Crunchyroll thing ends up preventing releases from AL and MVM without Mangauk increasing their output to cover those titles.
That's pretty much what happened under the previous Crunchyroll/Funimation deal. It caused a black hole in home releases here for series broadcast in that period.

I was surprised when AL were able to get the rights for the fourth Code Geass movie, I was totally expecting Manga to release that one, so I guess that would be a similar case of Sunrise only giving FUNi the US/Canada rights?

Oh I can only imagine the **** show that would ensue because so many titles would go unreleased, even unacknowledged.
To my knowledge, Sunrise usually only gives Funimation the US/CA rights for many of their properties. Anime Limited also has a relationship with them for titles like Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Gundam, Love Live!, Code Geass, and potentially many more behind the scenes. In other words, even if Funimation manages to acquire the rights for any of the future titles with Sunrise, I do think the future of Gundam, Code Geass, Love Live! etc. will very likely be safe with Anime Limited.

Heck, there's a whole bunch of Sunrise titles Anime Limited could explore for Blu-ray if the masters are available:
Arion
Armored Trooper Votoms
Aura Battler Dunbine
Banner & Crest of the Stars
Betterman
City Hunter
Crusher Joe
Dirty Pair
Giant Gorg
infinite Ryvius
My-HiME & Otome
s-CRY-ed
Space Runaway Ideon
Tales of the Abyss
Tiger & Bunny
Witch Hunter Robin
Xabungle
and many more.

City Hunter, Votoms and Ideon are the dream for a UK release tbh, even though Discotek's City Hunter release is region A/B. But now Votoms and Ideon are out of print in the US so I can't even import those 😭

I will ask straight up I think if @anime_andrew is able to comment if it's possible for him to do so, about the effect this will have on future crunchyroll titles. All this speculation is certainly concerning but might not be all doom and gloom.

Looks like Australia is going to get a collector's box to put both parts for demon slayer.

Didn't all the anime state they weren't going to do one. View attachment 16094

Oh nice maybe the chances of us getting a box has gone up with this.

To my knowledge, Sunrise usually only gives Funimation the US/CA rights for many of their properties. Anime Limited also has a relationship with them for titles like Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Gundam, Love Live!, Code Geass, and potentially many more behind the scenes. In other words, even if Funimation manages to acquire the rights for any of the future titles with Sunrise, I do think the future of Gundam, Code Geass, Love Live! etc. will very likely be safe with Anime Limited.

Heck, there's a whole bunch of Sunrise titles Anime Limited could explore for Blu-ray if the masters are available:
Arion
Armored Trooper Votoms
Aura Battler Dunbine
Banner & Crest of the Stars
Betterman
City Hunter
Crusher Joe
Dirty Pair
Giant Gorg
infinite Ryvius
My-HiME & Otome
s-CRY-ed
Space Runaway Ideon
Tales of the Abyss
Tiger & Bunny
Witch Hunter Robin
Xabungle
and many more.
i thought AL said they had the s-CRY-ed license a while ago, around the time when evangelion was announced iirc

also on the subject of sunrise and AL, i wonder why the Gundam/Code Geass stuff all released with amaray cases in the CE boxes but when it came to Planetes they went back to the digipaks

i thought AL said they had the s-CRY-ed license a while ago, around the time when evangelion was announced iirc

also on the subject of sunrise and AL, i wonder why the Gundam/Code Geass stuff all released with amaray cases in the CE boxes but when it came to Planetes they went back to the digipaks
It usually comes down to how much artwork there is available or the amount of discs being used. Gundam has tons of discs for a series so a large digipack with a ton of artwork would be needed and that would just increase the costs even more and Sunrise likely wouldn't be able to give them the artwork that would work best especially for consistency. As for Code Geass, it was mainly on a single Blu-ray disc so a digipack isn't the best idea (though for the Re;surrection film it looks like a standard slotted in a CE but with two extra discs.

Back