UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Hajime no ippo would be too long for MVM, the BBFC fees would be huge, so unlikely,
Still think it would be either older Sentai, Aniplex or it could be lost NISA licenses maybe, Cat god, going home club etc.

When it comes to Maiden Japan licences, it would be excellent to see Space Runaway Ideon get a UK release - maybe Tomino's masterpiece and an inspiration for Evangelion. Strangely, Maiden Japan only gave it one printing last year and said it would be re-stocked but nearly a full year later there's no sign and it goes for three-figures on the second hand market.

When it comes to Maiden Japan licences, it would be excellent to see Space Runaway Ideon get a UK release - maybe Tomino's masterpiece and an inspiration for Evangelion. Strangely, Maiden Japan only gave it one printing last year and said it would be re-stocked but nearly a full year later there's no sign and it goes for three-figures on the second hand market.
Still kicking myself that it got removed from my basket when it was $10 on TRSI last November. Just missed out.

Personally I feel the retro sci-fi titles like VOTOMS and Ideon are probably best suited for Anime Ltd (especially as they like to tackle riskier projects).

It seems as far as Manga are concerned they just want to be the Shonen guys.
Yet not Haikyu I know it didn’t sell but it’s now got a dub and series sets instead of parts.
But yeah Bungo I had to preorder to try and make sure it does get released but I don’t know if it will at this point
So I would revise it to they want popular mainstream shonens only

Joining the train of wishful thinking here, I'd like to see MVM release BanG Dream, Kase-san, Granbelm, Shirobako from Sentai. Not much I want from Aniplex aside from the usual Fate and Monogatari but Dreaming Girl would be great too. If they're open to Discotek titles then Symphogear is the obvious choice. Seems to be a good seller on Rightstuf anyway.

Fate would be good to see, or at least know about. With the announcement of it finally being released in America for Babylonia, the knowledge on whether it will appear or not (like Extra didn't) or whether it might have a CE or not (Aporcypha didn't) would determine where people might buy it from.
I'd settle for news on Case Files really, I enjoyed that as a series.

Yes but it keeps the stereotype of anime’s from the 90s it’s all action and nothing else. And when KyoAni sports stuff and KyoAni is a brand on its can’t get released here (Free, Tsurune) what chance does anything else have.
I do find it funny AL are bringing half of Ikuhara’s post Sailor moon work here (well 3/4 if you count there Funi Yurikuma release) yet the newest can’t get released because manga don’t want it.
Also sailor moon one of the biggest shojo’s can’t get a release here even not the new version if the original 200 ep count was a problem we didn’t even get a stream for Crystal so god help us for Eternal.

Yes but it keeps the stereotype of anime’s from the 90s it’s all action and nothing else. And when KyoAni sports stuff and KyoAni is a brand on its can’t get released here (Free, Tsurune) what chance does anything else have.
I do find it funny AL are bringing half of Ikuhara’s post Sailor moon work here (well 3/4 if you count there Funi Yurikuma release) yet the newest can’t get released because manga don’t want it.
Also sailor moon one of the biggest shojo’s can’t get a release here even not the new version if the original 200 ep count was a problem we didn’t even get a stream for Crystal so god help us for Eternal.
in all honesty, the only sports anime that probably has any chance at all of selling over here is Keijo and that's hugely down to the fanservice but it probably wouldn't sell enough to make sense to bring it over, and with the extreme sales that sentai usually have you can get them cheap and be safe about a local release coming unlike with manga and slice of life stuff where it's just turning into a random lottery

I own all of Free, Tsurune, Run with the wind yes and paid full price for all of them when I have to import most of my anime which I did first half of this year I just lose faith. Luckily AL seem to be gaining some faith back with the effort in VE, Turn A finally etc but those are years old shows. But when my fav simulcast (on CR/ FUNi) this year was Haikyu I can’t help but be disheartened when I know I’m gonna have to import come 2022.

in all honesty, the only sports anime that probably has any chance at all of selling over here is Keijo and that's hugely down to the fanservice but it probably wouldn't sell enough to make sense to bring it over, and with the extreme sales that sentai usually have you can get them cheap and be safe about a local release coming unlike with manga and slice of life stuff where it's just turning into a random lottery
While the sales are great Sentai's shop is still region locked to the US and Canada and even with a forwarding service not many people are gonna be using them.

Last edited:
Back