Your viewing journal

The Woman Called Fujiko Mine ep2-6 (rewatch, English dub)

Didn't quite make it all the way through the show while Screen Anime had it up, but I'm glad their streaming it seems to have encouraged more folk to check it out. To my surprise, I think it might also play better in English than it does in Japanese; it's one of those shows where it just seems to fit.

Episode 3, I think remains one of my favourite takes on Fujiko as a character though - it's so completely open to the viewers' interpretation whether or not she genuinely cares about the kids she's in charge of.

Lupin the IIIrd: Goemon's Blood Spray (rewatch, English dub)

Was a bit dismissive of this the first time I saw it, but I think my mistake was expecting it to bring something new to the table; rather it boils Goemon's personality (at least the parts not explored by Woman Called Fujiko Mine) down to its very essence. It really leans into the idea of Goemon as a monosyllabic force of nature, whose character development is done almost entirely without dialogue, which feels appropriately like the classic samurai dramas Koike is no-doubt referencing here. Even Lupin and Jigen sitting on the sidelines providing commentary feels like something out of Kurosawa.

It's also really dropping hints about the Mamo connection.

The Woman Called Fujiko Mine ep2-6 (rewatch, English dub)

Didn't quite make it all the way through the show while Screen Anime had it up, but I'm glad their streaming it seems to have encouraged more folk to check it out. To my surprise, I think it might also play better in English than it does in Japanese; it's one of those shows where it just seems to fit.

Episode 3, I think remains one of my favourite takes on Fujiko as a character though - it's so completely open to the viewers' interpretation whether or not she genuinely cares about the kids she's in charge of.

Lupin the IIIrd: Goemon's Blood Spray (rewatch, English dub)

Was a bit dismissive of this the first time I saw it, but I think my mistake was expecting it to bring something new to the table; rather it boils Goemon's personality (at least the parts not explored by Woman Called Fujiko Mine) down to its very essence. It really leans into the idea of Goemon as a monosyllabic force of nature, whose character development is done almost entirely without dialogue, which feels appropriately like the classic samurai dramas Koike is no-doubt referencing here. Even Lupin and Jigen sitting on the sidelines providing commentary feels like something out of Kurosawa.

It's also really dropping hints about the Mamo connection.
I've always been dismissive of Lupin. Something about the Key Visuals just never hooked me. But that Fujiko series and the subsequent films were incredible!

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-2
Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-2

Sigrdrifa ep 8
Aftermath and new plans

The Day I Became a God ep 7
Lights, camera, action.

Talentless Nana ep 8
"You're poison, running through my veins"

Dropout Idol Fruit Tart ep 7
Lucky pantsu.

Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World (English Dub) Episode 5

DOGEZA: I Tried Asking Episode 7 Hidden package.

Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World Episode 8 The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Strike Witches: Road to Berlin Episode 8 Fog.

Kimisen, Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World episode 8 Bait.

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear episode 8 Representative.

Noblesse episode 8 Pride and predicament.

I’m almost finished up with The Crown now as well. Have also been watching through Cautious Hero: The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious for site review purposes.

Vinland Saga episodes 22-24 (End)
Definitely lived up to the hype. Really hoping for a second season sometime.

Laid-Back Camp [rewatch] episode 8
The cursed episode

Show By Rock!! episode 7

Golden Kamuy Season 3 episode 8

SeriesFormatStatus
Grimoire of Zero12 episode seriesWatched
Show By Rock!!12 episode seriesWatching
AKB004813 episode seriesPlanned
Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu12 episode seriesPlanned
Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu Specials2 episode specialPlanned
Humanity Has Declined12 episode seriesPlanned
A Certain Scientific Railgun25 episode seriesPlanned
Gatchaman Crowds Insight12 episode seriesPlanned
Gatchaman Crowds Insight: Inbound1 episode specialPlanned
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R225 episode seriesPending Arrival

Last edited:
I finished March Comes In Like a Lion Season 1, was an utterly amazing show, looking forward to Season 2 (and I think there's a Season 3 now? Or there's going to be?) I am now watching Made in Abyss which is like... I've heard there are some pretty questionable scenes later on. But so far I'm digging it, it's a genuinely magical viewing experience. The dub's also pretty good.

No Game No Life episodes 1 - 12

A good series (bar some of the fan service for the young sister), although the ending was like another series to carry on the story was being hoped for.

Moriarty the Patriot (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-2
Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-2

So as you can see, I have gone through at least 8 Autumn 2020 titles which I plan to continue.

The current roster is:
  • Golden Kamuy Season 3 (12 eps)
  • Higurashi: When They Cry Gou (24 eps)
  • I'm Standing on a Million Lives (12 eps)
  • Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III (12 eps)
  • Moriarty the Patriot (12 eps)
  • Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World (12 eps)
  • Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle (12 eps)
  • Talentless Nana (13 eps)

Show By Rock!! episodes 8-9

SeriesFormatStatus
Grimoire of Zero12 episode seriesWatched
Show By Rock!!12 episode seriesWatching
AKB004813 episode seriesPlanned
Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu12 episode seriesPlanned
Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu Specials2 episode specialPlanned
Humanity Has Declined12 episode seriesPlanned
A Certain Scientific Railgun25 episode seriesPlanned
Gatchaman Crowds Insight12 episode seriesPlanned
Gatchaman Crowds Insight: Inbound1 episode specialPlanned
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R225 episode seriesPending Arrival

Adachi and Shimamura episode 8 Chocolates.

Akudama Drive episode 8 Playing with lives.

Higurashi: When They Cry - NEW episode 9 Big Brudder.

Napping Princess (Film) I can’t say this did a lot for me, at times it felt like the narrative was trying to do a bit too much. The animation and some action setpieces were decent though and maybe a rewatch is in order eventually. 2.5/5

Also finished up The Crown until season 5 comes out, as well as Cautious Hero: The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious for my upcoming site review.

Back