UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Everyone praising GGO as the good SAO and then because it doesn’t have the fun I have with main SAO, GGO is easily the worst part for me as the MC is as crap as I expected for someone who has a height complex and the main villain was so obvious how it long took to be told to miss height and cute complex annoyed me. It’s alright but I’d much rather watch most of SAO than GGO again because god I hate the MC as she was the reason why it took me 14 months to watch it.

It having a female MC isn't what I meant by "general tropes". I'd rather not compare something actually well written to SAO.

I can't talk about villainess because I haven't read/watched it. Though I can see there has been a huge rise in characters isekai'ing into a otome world as the villainess character lately, and it makes me get vary of something when a bunch of stuff clones it.
To be fair I've not seen enough to notice the tropes. Apart from the obvious one of going to another world somehow. I haven't seen enough with even the most common recent reason (death) for it to become a trope for me. I have ignored the genre in the couple of years that I have been watching seasonally unless the synopsis sounded really interesting/different. Only 2/3 have sounded like I've missed out on something (half)decent: Slime, Shield Hero and Cautious Hero.
One's I've watched/PTW off the top of my head:

Death
Konosuba
Ascendance
Villainess
RE: ZERO (PTW)

VRMMO/game world
SAO
No Game No Life
.hack//SIGN
Log Horizon (PTW)

Magical means
Escaflowne

Dr. Stone might count at a push, but technically it's our world just very far in the future and very different in terms of available tech and landscape.

Villainess is the first anime in that sub-genre, I guess. If it gets more prevalent then it could become boring, Depends on the character. The MC in Villainess is fun, sometimes smart, but other times quite ditzy.

EDIT: of course the first animated isekai I saw was a Western show, Dungeons and Dragons.

Last edited:
Everyone praising GGO as the good SAO and then because it doesn’t have the fun I have with main SAO, GGO is easily the worst part for me as the MC is as crap as I expected for someone who has a height complex and the main villain was so obvious how it long took to be told to miss height and cute complex annoyed me. It’s alright but I’d much rather watch most of SAO than GGO again because god I hate the MC as she was the reason why it took me 14 months to watch it.

SAO Alternative GGO was good because it had none of the main cast, and the characters were actually likeable with somewhat believable personalities.

I've found the people who generally praise GGO Alt are usually the people who don't like main SAO. for main SAO after 2 seasons, and a film. I honestly cannot deal with the **** ass character that is kirito, and his entourage of girls that love him. The villains of the franchise all have such weak/nonsensical reasons for doing what they do I can't feel anything for them.

I honestly will never understand why SAO ever became popular, but people are free to like what they want. I'll continue to spend £190 per season of Bookworm like a madman.

The problem for me is bookworm is getting such positive praise like GGO did that it just won’t meet it. And I’ve made me deal that bar SAO my trash I won’t touch Isekai because it means meaningful thought provoking shows like Sarazanmai don’t get a release here because it’s not a genre show

The problem for me is bookworm is getting such positive praise like GGO did that it just won’t meet it. And I’ve made me deal that bar SAO my trash I won’t touch Isekai because it means meaningful thought provoking shows like Sarazanmai don’t get a release here because it’s not a genre show

I honestly don't keep track of what most of the fandom thinks of bookworm. I just hope it does well enough in JP so that it can get a 3rd cour that'll adapt the whole 2nd arc (Cour 2 is only covering half way). I'm buying the JP BDs to do my part to help. Been awhile since I was this engrossed with a show, and its source.

just follow your own interests, i've found in most cases when going for the overly popular shows that everyone was talking about that season they've been pretty eh like Sarazanmai and Bunny Sempai but i don't think i'm any golden choice for anime either because a lot of the shows i've gone off on my own with are locked behind streaming walls or in a rare case like with Chio or Hinamatsuri they've only been released in america

Sarazanmai is for a specific type of person. It’s just gets annoying a large portion of what you like just doesn’t get a UK release, Free, Tsurune, Sarazanmai, Rin with the wind and I assume Given and that’s just from 2018/19.

Sarazanmai is for a specific type of person. It’s just gets annoying a large portion of what you like just doesn’t get a UK release, Free, Tsurune, Sarazanmai, Rin with the wind and I assume Given and that’s just from 2018/19.

atleast it gets made. I'm still waiting for a proper vampire anime that isn't either trope ridden, trash, is just a side character/plot device, or just a sol by vampire.

I've been waiting for something since Shiki, and I'm still waiting.

I don't really think of Bookworm as an Isekai, I mainly watch it as a comfy slice of life. I've only seen 11 episodes though.

I tried 4 episodes of Sarazanmai, didnt like it much, but I want to try it again in the future after I've seen some of the directors other works first.

GGO was my least favourite SAO season too.

Monogatari isn't a vampire series bar maybe Kizu.

Well it's a show about aparitions in general sure but I would argue the main character being half-vampire and vampires in general being front and center does escalate that. Anyway too bad Tsukihime doesn't have an anime because that would have made a good Vampire show. Some might say it does have an anime but those people are delusional.

tsuki.gif

Beyond anime though, imo Vampire stories already peaked with Bloodlines (and my hope is the upcoming Bloodlines 2 is consistant) it's all been downhill after that :(

Anyway too bad Tsukihime doesn't have an anime because that would have made a good Vampire show.

Personally I feel like Tsukihime is unfit to be adapted into an anime. Unlike F/SN, or even F/HA (which most likely will be adapted in the future), it doesn't have such an uniform narrative that easily could lend itself into getting adapted in linear form. I mean while F/SN has a grand narrative told over multiple routes, Tsukihime feels more like a collection of diverse and separate stories told within the same setting with very large portions of texts getting reused in each route.

Personally I feel like Tsukihime is unfit to be adapted into an anime. Unlike F/SN, or even F/HA (which most likely will be adapted in the future), it doesn't have such an uniform narrative that easily could lend itself into getting adapted in linear form. I mean while F/SN has a grand narrative told over multiple routes, Tsukihime feels more like a collection of diverse and separate stories told within the same setting with very large portions of texts getting reused in each route.

I dunno, if they are picky with characters and seperate it out by far side/near side seasons or something I think it could be done. The big issue attributed to the show that doesn't existed was that depiste it's episode count it was rushed to finish the story after making some unecessary filler episodes.

But we may never know, it's unfortunate the VN isn't exactly replay friendly if you fancy a quick catch up on the plot though.

I dunno, if they are picky with characters and seperate it out by far side/near side seasons or something I think it could be done. The big issue attributed to the show that doesn't existed was that depiste it's episode count it was rushed to finish the story after making some unecessary filler episodes.

But we may never know, it's unfortunate the VN isn't exactly replay friendly if you fancy a quick catch up on the plot though.

The problem I see is that it felt as if I read the same thing over and over again in the VN. Like, the whole explanation regarding the protag and stuff was retold in five different ways and while that might work in a VN (where you can speed through texts), how would your average anime connoisseur feel about hearing the explanation of something they already know for the fourth or fifth time? Add to this the lack of a red thread through all routes (more than a few characters and the overall setting) and I don't know how successful any adaption would be without having to resort to rewriting the story into an uniform narrative (and considering how "praised" that hypothetical adaption that a lot of folks seem to think exist are ;) , I don't know if that is the right way to go either).

To return to the topic of the thread a bit (while keeping the vampire theme alive), I finished Hellsing Ultimate that Manga released last night. I saw over in the AL thread there was a small discussion regarding extras and which extras that is preferred in CE/LE releases, which caused me to ponder over the subject myself. While going through Hellsing Ultimate Blu-rays I realised that the one extra that leave me completely cold is interviews / commentary from the dub / localization staff. I wouldn't mind having a documentary or such about general nature of dubbing / localization (as an independently released thing), even though I am a "sub only" dude, but when put like this in relation to individual anime shows and films I just feel it is a bummer not to have an interview / commentary with the actual creators of said anime in its place instead.

Honestly, at least for Blu-ray, interviews and commentary from the US staff is just copied over from the US discs. So removing these would be more expensive than just leaving them in.

I just feel it is a bummer not to have an interview / commentary with the actual creators of said anime in its place instead.

Interviews with the actual creative staff are extremely rare video wise. You usually get those as text interviews in booklets. Honestly off the top of my head the last thing I remember to include that as a extra on disc was Made in Abyss.

We never get the more common voice actor commentaries over episodes where they discuss stuff about the episode while watching it, but I imagine its just too much a pain in the ass to subtitle.

Honestly, at least for Blu-ray, interviews and commentary from the US staff is just copied over from the US discs. So removing these would be more expensive than just leaving them in.

Absolutely, doesn't make me care about them any more though. Just wanted to point out that it is the kind of extra I don't really care about at all and could do without (even though, as you rightly point out, they won't be removed for practical reasons).

Interviews with the actual creative staff are extremely rare video wise. You usually get those as text interviews in booklets. Honestly off the top of my head the last thing I remember to include that as a extra on disc was Made in Abyss.

We never get the more common voice actor commentaries over episodes where they discuss stuff about the episode while watching it, but I imagine its just too much a pain in the ass to subtitle.

I know. That said, the interviews included on the Wolf's Rain UE, on the A Silent Voice release or the fantastically weird extra on Panty & Stocking Blu-ray when you get to see behind the scenes when they blow up the papier-maché dolls (totally awesome!) are nevertheless infinitely more interesting than the more common dub / localization interviews.

I think most/all episode commentaries I've seen have been with the dub cast, but I don't recall watching/listening to any.
The only Japanese commentary track I know of is on the Nausicaa Blu-ray with Hideaki Anno and Kazuyoshi Katayama.

I think most/all episode commentaries I've seen have been with the dub cast, but I don't recall watching/listening to any.
The only Japanese commentary track I know of is on the Nausicaa Blu-ray with Hideaki Anno and Kazuyoshi Katayama.

Yeah, I don't recall any examples of Japanese commentaries. I think Lambadelta hit the nail on the head in that subbing such a commentary might be real hassle, would still be dope though if you could find a suitable way to do it! Did it work well in Nausicaa (assuming you seen / heard the commentary ofc)?

As I, once again, enjoyed the extras included on the P&S release (which is a Manga release), do Manga have any other release with descent extras on them (other than aforementioned dub cast stuff) or was that an isolated case?

Back