Cast Your Vote in the Anime UK News 2019 Readers' Choice Awards!

Uh oh, Other as an option again. Hopefully it won't be used to highjack the vote again although Lord knows I needed it! No Vinland Saga or Mob Psycho 100 II on AotY shortlist 🤯
Anyway:
ANIME
Best TV = Other - Mob Psycho 100 II (from the list Fruits Basket (2019))
Best Film = PROMARE
Animation = Mob Psycho 100 II
Writing = Vinland Saga
Episode = Other - Mob Psycho 100 II episode 5 "Discord: Choices" (from the list Demon Slayer ep 19)
OP Song = Wa! Moon! Dass! Cry! by the VAs
ED Song = Other - Torches by Aimer (from the list Dororo ED1)
Score = PROMARE
Distributor = Anime Limited
Streaming Service = Crunchyroll
Release = Maquia
Wish Release = A Place Further Than the Universe

MANGA/LN
Didn't read any manga that started last year, so felt it was cheating a bit to nominate a continuing one (Yuru Camp BTW). So only voted on distributor = Yen Press

CHARACTERS
Best MC = Askeladd, Vinland Saga
Best Support = Other - Isabella, The Promised Neverland (from the list None!)
Couple = Rika Sonezaki and Shun Amagir, O Maidens in Your Savage Season

DECADE
Anime = A Place Further Than the Universe
Manga = Yuru Camp (again only went for stuff started within the period otherwise something like FMA which just sneaks in or Vinland Saga, still going 15 years on would be up there)

How come Overlord is on there for best LN illustrator? And Erwin Smith in best supporting character? I thought it was stuff first released in 2019?
Our eligibility was noted in the article as allowing continuations that were published/released during 2019. Overlord Volumes 9 - 11 were published in English in 2019, and Attack On Titan Season 3 Part 2 was broadcast in the Spring 2019 season.

Our eligibility was noted in the article as allowing continuations that were published/released during 2019. Overlord Volumes 9 - 11 were published in English in 2019, and Attack On Titan Season 3 Part 2 was broadcast in the Spring 2019 season.
If "released a new volume in the series" counts then the other options in the manga and light novel polls are some really unexpected choices. Do the people who selected them really think that the best series to have volumes out in 2019 were all ones that started releasing that year?

If "released a new volume in the series" counts then the other options in the manga and light novel polls are some really unexpected choices. Do the people who selected them really think that the best series to have volumes out in 2019 were all ones that started releasing that year?
They could have preferred them over continuing series, yeah. Then there's the write-in option for anything we didn't formally nominate.

ANIME
Best TV = Beastars
Best Film = Haven't seen any yet
Animation = Demon Slayer
Writing = Beastars
Episode = Demon Slayer 19
OP Song = Fire Force OP 1
ED Song = Dororo ED 1
Score = Dr Stone (This is the only one that really stood out for me, all of the others were pretty forgettable)
Distributor = Anime Limited
Streaming Service = Crunchyroll
Release = Maquia
Anime Wish Release = Mushishi
Manga Wish Release = March Comes in Like Lion

CHARACTERS
Best MC = Legosi - Beastars
Best Support = Erwin - AoT (Would of probably picked other but he was good enough)
Couple = Kaguya and Shirogane - Love is War

DECADE
Anime = Hunter x Hunter 2011 (Could of easily picked Steins Gate, March, JoJo's, AoT)
Manga = A Silent Voice (One of the few i've finished from this decade so ill probably change it in the future, but it was very good)

Last edited:
They could have preferred them over continuing series, yeah. Then there's the write-in option for anything we didn't formally nominate.

People aren't going to do that if they, like me, read "Which new main character" as... well, "which new main character" and not "which main character from a series that got new content this year, even if the character has been around for years", though are they? (Though to be fair there's stuff like Fruits Basket in the options there as well...)

Or if they see a set of 5 light novels, all of which started this year, and some of which are obscure even within the light novel fandom, most people are not going to think "right, let's nominated something that had its 14th volume out last year" or whatever. They'll just pick a series that started last year like all the stuff in the options, or skip over the question if they've not read any such series.

Well C&T was killed by Netflix so will be Beastars. And that Bones show this season (but as no is fansubbing it good I’ll happily wait)
And really people liked that Maquia set that was £10 too expensive (hence why it’s was £20 everywhere for a period ) and not great discs.

Cast my vote, In future it would nice to see more genre based category's so it doesn't end up like the Crunchyroll awards aka the shounen awards

Last edited:
Cast my vote, I future it would nice to see more genre based category so it doesn't end up like the Crunchyroll awards aka the shounen awards
It's definitely something to be considered, and we're definitely listening to all feedback! I'd love to try and fit in more specific categories (like maybe performances too?), but balancing the number due to also having Manga/LNs can be hard.

Anime awards in general are skewed towards shounen. It's a shame as 90% of is is poorly written trash. I am happy Demon Slayer and DR Stone were recognized as they are the best representation of shounen.

Or Isekai because their “Popular” how the hell AoT won best director yesterday is beyond me it was the worst season of AoT easily yet nope better than Sarazanmai direction wise sure.

Back