Upcoming UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Artwork

Bunny Girl CE

718NtIPYIoL._SL1500_.jpg

It’s following the Monogatari BD art and highlighting each arcs girl. As there 5 arcs so 5 girls.
Ahh I see what they were going for but the Monogatari releases at least have the girls in a location doing some kind of action. Shes quite literally just sitting in the corner 😂 not the blandest cover out there (look at Evangelion) but to me, who doesn't know the series it just looks meh.

Splatter more age warnings all over the box MVM, why won't you... ugh
The Garden of Sinners CE's initial artwork had BBFC logos, but the finalised artwork in the end has none (excluding the bottom of the box). Who knows, maybe the finalised artwork of Bunny Girl CE might only have the logo on the back (just like the Made in Abyss CE).

But if it ends up like the initial artwork seen in the previous post, it could be worse. It could be Madman's upcoming CE with the huge ratings logos plastered on the box (their release of the Made in Abyss CE had them too).

I don't understand the rating system at all but how come some releases just have the age restriction on the plastic when you buy the new product but most print the ugly thing on their art? I know there's like a law for having the logo but why not ALWAYS have it on the back with the text and info? I don't understand the need of plastering that ugly thing on the spines or front.

I don't understand the rating system at all but how come some releases just have the age restriction on the plastic when you buy the new product but most print the ugly thing on their art? I know there's like a law for having the logo but why not ALWAYS have it on the back with the text and info? I don't understand the need of plastering that ugly thing on the spines or front.
Depends on how the release is designed. It is required by UK law that the BBFC ratings have to be visible in some form when you look at a UK release. In the past it had to be on the front cover, back cover and spine, but now it's just front cover and back cover. For LEs and Steelbooks, it seems the BBFC is fine with stickers and slipcovers to cover that aspect of making the rating visible on the front and back.

this probably wouldn't be in a shop but it's more of an outdated law that requires it on the front because obviously on a shelf you'll have it displayed showing the front cover

Depends on how the release is designed. It is required by UK law that the BBFC ratings have to be visible in some form when you look at a UK release. In the past it had to be on the front cover, back cover and spine, but now it's just front cover and back cover. For LEs and Steelbooks, it seems the BBFC is fine with stickers and slipcovers to cover that aspect of making the rating visible on the front and back.
Not enough people know that BBFC ratings logos aren’t mandated on the spines. ADV UK didn’t bother with spine logos and their releases looked all the better for it. All UK releases would look better if nobody bothered. It’s not like anybody buys a DVD/Blu-ray without looking at the covers.

As for using stickers instead, I imagine it’s just an unnecessary extra expense for most releases. Presumably the stickers aren’t free and it would have to go through an extra machine to apply them (or someone would have to sit there sticking them all on).

Last edited:
In Germany, due to the larger FSK-logos, most publishers offer reversible covers for standard releases.
Digipacks however come with stickers on the shrinkwrap or slipcover, but printed FSK on the digipack itself.

Reversible covers don't require extra machines.

Reversible covers don't require extra machines.
Fair point. I mean I guess vs. single sided covers they’re still going to cost more, but there’s almost no reason not to have a reversible insert if you’re printing on both sides anyway. It’s not like anyone can enjoy the artwork on the interior side through the blue filter of a BD case.

The Viz BD of JoJo is encoded with the wrong colors. The Kazé release of Phantom Blood / Battle Tendency has the correct colors and the Manga/Madman releases probably too.

This is news to me.
I have googled this and nothing pops up on the subject.
How wrong is the colors on the Viz release?

This is news to me.
I have googled this and nothing pops up on the subject.
How wrong is the colors on the Viz release?
I actually received Stardust Crusaders today and it unfortunately has the same color issue as the Viz release. They probably used Viz' encodes. As for how wrong it is:

Left to right: Manga UK BD (wrong colors) / Crunchyroll (correct colors)

Last edited:
Back