4K Blu Ray collection & Upcoming Releases discussion thread

Ordered Toy Story 4K.
The picture quality for the three movies looks very nice, even if some of the 3D animation is showing its age nowadays.

I’m hoping to get most of the Pixar films upgraded, though some still haven’t gotten confirmations it’s only a matter of time I feel.

Yeah, they get good reviews in terms of PQ. But the animation really shows it age on the first two ones imo, but with the fourth one it's also starting to show on the third one.

There's only very few that hasn't been confirmed yet, but I only had my eyes on the three Toy Story films at the moment.
The main anomaly are the human characters and the dog with the first two films, some of it still holds up remarkably well!

When Monster’s Inc gets announced I’ll be on that, Ratatouille is due soon so will be getting that too as it’s a personal favourite and I bet it’ll look gorgeous in 4K. Not as fussed on some of the newer films outside of maybe Coco which I’m keeping an eye out for a good price.

A heads up for those that missed it, I just noticed that Brightburn is getting a 4K release over here however it is exclusive to HMV.

Similar to John Wick 2, the BBFC told Sony the original version would have been given an 18 so they amended it to reach a 15 and thus a wider audience. The 4K disc will be the original uncut 18 rated version.

Interesting. I pretty much get all my 4Ks from the US as they’re usually not much more expensive and use thinner cases (some UK releases use them too like Goodfellas, Jason Bourne and BvS: Dawn of Justice.) The exception are the bigger Studiocanal releases and deluxe sets like the Blade Runner ones.

Recently ordered the Rambo trilogy off eBay. Still waiting on dispatch but it was cheaper buying from a US seller than it was getting the UK releases. I’ve only seen the first film so looking forward to checking out the other two.

I believe Rambo is getting a 4K release soon as the new film releases so I’ll have to get that too.

The first Rambo film is pretty different from the others which are more action-filled. When I get around to watching them I’ll make a note of them on here.

Wow HD have a few titles under the £15 GST rate. Tempted to get a couple though I don’t know if slips are garuanteed. Also pre-ordered Rambo and may get Lock Up.

Well I’ve been beefing out my collection a bit since I got paid last week.
Got the following titles coming my way:
First Man
Halloween (1979)
Halloween (2018)
Rambo
Schindler’s List
Evil Dead 2

Had to buy some black cases off eBay due to the shoddy eco cases being used for some releases but otherwise my 4K collection is growing nicely. At some point I’ll post a photo update.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who does this.
I always worry I’m going to accidentally tear the inner sleeve when removing discs. The first thing I did when I got my Shout Factory! Halloween DE was replace the black eco cases with proper blue ones.

Coming this November in the United States is the 4K release for Dario Argento's Suspiria!

This will be an Ultra HD Blu-ray only release with a special features Blu-ray disc included. It is available this November but it's not cheap (its an indie publisher from what I have heard).

While the film has received a 4K release in the past, this upcoming release is a new 4K restoration of the original uncut, uncensored Italian 35mm camera negative exclusively done by Synapse Films, with color correction supervised and approved by SUSPIRIA Director of Photography, Luciano Tovoli.

Other specs:
  • Original 4.0 1977 English language LCRS sound mix not heard since the theatrical release in 1977, presented in high-resolution DTS-HD MA 96kHz/24-bit audio, with newly-translated removable English SDH subtitles.
  • All-new Dolby Atmos Remix and High Dynamic Range Presentation.
  • Italian 5.1 surround mix, with removable English subtitle translation.
  • Two audio commentaries by authors and Argento scholars, Derek Botelho, David Del Valle and Troy Howarth.
  • Do You Know Anything About Witches? - 30 minute SUSPIRIA visual essay written, edited and narrated by Michael Mackenzie.
  • Suzy in Nazi Germany - Featurette on the German locations from SUSPIRIA.
  • A Sigh from the Depths: 40 Years of SUSPIRIA - All-new anniversary retrospective on the making of the film and its influence on cinema.
  • Olga's Story - Interview with star Barbara Magnolfi.
  • Original theatrical trailers, TV spots and radio spots.
  • "International Classics" English "Breathing Letters" opening credit sequence from the U.S. release.
  • Alternate all-English opening and closing credits sequences, playable via seamless branching.
  • Reversible cover art by Wes Benscoter.
Amazon link is here for those curious (disclaimer: it is affiliated where if you purchase anything it will also support me).

Artwork is really cool also:
81SzoSIPcZL._SL1500_.jpg

81SNtGwibpL._SL1500_.jpg

71ksJt7lpkL._SL1500_.jpg

I saw that, makes me wonder if any UK label will pick it up. A shame Arrow Video haven’t (or can’t) make a foray into 4K.

I saw that, makes me wonder if any UK label will pick it up. A shame Arrow Video haven’t (or can’t) make a foray into 4K.
The UK release is with Cult Films who already did a Ultra HD Blu-ray release, but it was exclusive to a crowdfunding campaign and it lacked HDR and proper audio specs. For now it looks like the US release is the way to go, but good thing there's no region coding on these 4K discs.

The UK release is with Cult Films who already did a Ultra HD Blu-ray release, but it was exclusive to a crowdfunding campaign and it lacked HDR and proper audio specs. For now it looks like the US release is the way to go, but good thing there's no region coding on these 4K discs.
Ah I see, it seems importing is the way to go, though the price is pretty high atm so I’ll have to see where my priorities lie.

The UK 4K UHD is identical to the Italian 4K UHD with the TLEFilms 4K restoration. In Rec.709 SDR because Torsten isn't a fan HDR.

I try to answer the question as to why HDR (High Dynamic Range) was not part of the equation with regard to the restoration and presentation of SUSPIRIA in as simple terms as possible - but the subject is more complex so bear with me here bit. To keep in mind from the start are TWO THINGS:

- FIRST: Our clear task and order - by the world rights owner - was to restore SUSPIRIA to its TRUE ORIGINAL FORM as it was presented in 1977 on the Technicolor Dye Transfer process prints working primarily from the original picture negative in order to achieve this. As an essential part of that task we that we had to make sure that all the colours in all their respective primary, as well as secondary shades/values that make SUSPIRIA what it actually is, are as accurately preserved and presented in all formats as best as technically possible.

- SECOND: 4K and HDR are not the same thing nor do they relate necessarily to one another.

HDR is primarily being used by and in the industry these days for the work on NEW PRODUCTIONS involving DIGITAL CAMERAS and the processing in post-production that would follow. The standards set and the requirements necessary are accordingly and are not related to analogue film.

However, and unfortunately, in order to (marketing-technically) push the 4K UHD format HDR is also being applied to (older) productions that were originally made ON FILM and that were never made or intended to be made with HDR processing in mind. SUSPIRIA is, of course, such a case, having been made on analogue film.

Essentially, the reason for the decision NOT to use any of the HDR processes is four-fold:

- HDR is and never was part of the original production of SUSPIRIA, nor any other film of that era. While SUSPIRIA was produced on 35mm film negative (Eastman, the original prints in Europe were Technicolor Dye Transfer, using a very separate colour process) - which has its very distinct colour definition and standards.

- HDR, because of the very nature how it works and is implemented, drastically changes the entire colour tones/shades in their respective registration in the spectrum. That means in turn that ALL the effort of painstakingly restoring the colours to their original form would be contradicted and changed severely rendering the restoration/preservation process effectively useless.

- The technical standards that apply (SMPTE for the film industry - as well as EBU/ITU for broadcasters are just as different to all types of film as they also are for digital media - as is the philosophical debate to work with them. This is what makes this area so complex and the presentation on ordinary or even highest end displays so difficult as these standards are not always and everywhere (properly) implemented.

To make it short, the demands on both ways of filming and the requirements that need to be met during shooting on the set for both as well as the post-production that follows are WAY DIFFERENT. So, the two are very "different animals" to begin with. HDR, in a way, is like applying a 3-D stereoscope render to a normal film. It is an interference in the original process that was made in 1977.

- Now, many ask the question about the colour space(s). Some even argue that the REC 709 colour space is "inferior" and the REC 2020 "is the only thing". That claim, however, is simply - and completely - inaccurate. For one, REC/ITU 2020 is - to this day - not supported 100% BY ANY DISPLAY or PROJECTION at home or in theatrical environments (mostly not even on the highest professional level) so in essence you cannot even see 2020 in its true form nor can you properly work in it, making the work effectively a shot in the dark.

To make matters worse, the various displays on the home market "define" HDR and the colour space implementations VERY DIFFERENTLY. To most who appreciate HDR's processing to higher contrast it should be noted that it also dramatically changes the colour spectrum, much of it uncontrollably because of the above-mentioned problems with the 2020 colour space - shifting the colour tones for instance from what originally would register predominantly red to more bluish/magenta. This effect is very, very complex and CANNOT easily be "countered" let alone 100% perfect to its original position(s) in the colour spectrum. So, 2020 is not only unreliable, it is creating the problem on its own.

Also, keep in mind that the standards defined for 4K UHD Discs do not allow for genuine P3 signals (the standard for theatrical 4K DCP production) to be used. And: the actual original film colour space is also not equal to that of REC 2020 anyway as REC 2020 is, after all, a VIDEO STANDARD. So, this is a conundrum requiring a solution of a common denominator.

So, what we did do was to use the very basic component that EVERYONE would be able to see the films' accurate colour registration - identically - on Blu-ray Disc and 4K UHD, and where the colour space definition IS SOLID and can be seen accurately - provided the screens are PROPERLY calibrated as best as technically possible. The best common denominator to preserve the colours presented ORIGINALLY in SUSPIRIA is, in that case, the colour space of REC 709.

There are some things that I like and dislike about the TLEFilms and Synapse restorations, but the Synapse BD/UHD is worth picking up for the DTS-HD MA 4.0 track alone.

I buy mine from Casetopia, I always replace their covers, if it's eco-case or the plastic has "shrunk" from the shrinkwrap, or even if the cover says "disck made in mexico/usa" on the back. So I have around 50-60 of those left, which I'm wondering what to do with lol.
I’ll bear them in mind for the future. How are their prices and shipping?

Back