Multiple Fatalities Confirmed in Kyoto Animation Fire

What a hack that journo is as if its somehow more tragic because 2/3rd of the victims were women. Newsflash, its tragic regardless of gender.

Yeah why we should keep gender politics out of anything.
They are saying a female loss of talent in a male driven industry is tragic not saying it’s “more” tragic. Any loss of life is tragic they aren’t disputing that. They are just saying it’s a sad fact of the sad event.

Yeah why we should keep gender politics out of anything.
They are saying a female loss of talent in a male driven industry is tragic not saying it’s “more” tragic. Any loss of life is tragic they aren’t disputing that. They are just saying it’s a sad fact of the sad event.
By declaring the loss of female talent in a male driven industry they're indirectly saying the male lives are somehow less important because it's a male driven industry.

Edit: I missread the first part edited the post to reflect that, sorry about that.

Last edited:
1. You summed up the problem very well. What does gender politics have anything to do with the KyoAni fire. 2. By declaring the loss of female talent in a male driven industry they're indirectly saying the male lives are somehow less important because it's a male driven industry.

I kindly ask you to keep this gender politics circlejerk out of this subject as it has nothing to do with the KyoAni fire.
FFS. Firstly doc was not the one who brought this up and was offering a counterpoint to yours and Lamba’s posts - If you didn’t want people discussing it why did you post about it yourself? Personally I feel like reading a news article that mentions that women died as well as men and immediately going on the defensive about how this is somehow part of a *** wider culture war is hugely disrespectful, as is telling others with differing views to your own to shut up after you’ve stated yours.

There's not really much to say here - there are no words, no thoughts and prayers that can make any difference to the friends and family of the victims of this horrific act. But that's all I can really do. Heartbreaking.

FFS. Firstly doc was not the one who brought this up and was offering a counterpoint to yours and Lamba’s posts - If you didn’t want people discussing it why did you post about it yourself? Personally I feel like reading a news article that mentions that women died as well as men and immediately going on the defensive about how this is somehow part of a *** wider culture war is hugely disrespectful, as is telling others with differing views to your own to shut up after you’ve stated yours.

Amen. It certainly reveals far more about a couple of the members in this thread than it does the journalist in question.

The main BBC article has not yet made a mention of the 34th victim, but concerning the other 33 they are saying that 20 of them are women, 12 are men, and one has yet to be identified.

The way he put extra emphasis on two/third being women (why does this matter?) and in a follow up tweet goes on about how the anime industry is primarily male dominated (again, why does this matter?) clearly indicates which disgusting agenda he has and that he does not particulary care about the lives lost in the fire.

But sure I'm disrespectful for pointing out that all lives lost regardless of gender is equally devastating. The only one who is seeing this supposed culture war is you Ayase.

well I'm not jumping into the culture war thing, I'm just gonna say sometimes it's the words you use, and you don't have to look hard to see it's the kind of words the Beeb uses pretty often, I don't care if its men or women, I don't care who populates most of the industry

It seems like this guy wanted to intimidate the studio, but after all the lives lost I hope that even he feels he doesn't deserve to see the outside of a jail cell

He also points out that they're young, but I'm fairly certain he wouldn't be fine about mass murder of the elderly. Whether or not you care about it is irrelevant, reporting demographics of the victims is journalism. And mentioning that the industry is predominantly male dominated is relevant, if you consider any discussion of the artistic impact of this tragedy to be appropriate at this point. I'm not sure I do, but I've seen plenty of discussion about how KyoAni's paper and digital files have been lost, and it doesn't seem inappropriate in that context that there will be a consequential loss of a female voice in future artistic works in a male dominated industry. That's probably what makes it worth mentioning more than if there was a 60:40 split in an American school shooting for instance.

NHK World have an interview with John Ledford of Sentai about the fundraiser.

It starts at 3:28 into the video if you want to avoid the more graphic news footage and reportage about the tragedy.

Please redirect anger about the imaginary feminist agenda to private messages (you can send them to me, I don't care) from now on because I'll just delete the posts and waste your time if they continue cluttering up this important thread. There are more important things going on right now. First and last warning. Thanks.

R

More press: the BBC are reporting on witness accounts, who claim that the suspect had been spotted in the area before.

Meanwhile ANN are reporting that company president Hideaki Hatta is considering demolishing the burnt-out building, and replacing it with a public park that would include a monument. He is also considering hosting a memorial ceremony for the victims. It has also been confirmed that one of the victims is South Korean.

I was half joking when I mentioned a violet monument ... it’s gonna one violet ain’t it? Actually, I’d like to see what they’ll decide.

The way I read it though I thought the building was already gone, I must watch too many movies

^Sorry this is somewhat off topic^

I'm really happy with David Productions choice to delay Fire Force over these recent events, not only out of respect for KyoAni and their staff

But I think its very important for their staff mentally as well. I couldn't imagine what its like trying to work on a show with similar [themes]. Hopefully they're not pushed to meet deadlines over the next few weeks and their staff have people to talk to when needed

Back