UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

But some people do.
I would never buy CEs if I didn’t want nice cases or nice boxes.

I like the stuff in all the CE's I bought but to answer you, no, I wouldn't import one for the box. I meant the semantics of collecting Anime, I want to support the UK Anime industry through my favorite shows as I said as it is worth investing in.

Last edited:
Most of the time I end up buying MVM's releases over importing the JP/US ones. Heaven's Feel was one of the few times where I imported the JPBD as soon as it came out because I wanted to own the film as soon as possible (plus the set was really nice), I've got Heaven's Feel 2 on pre-order from JP for the same reason.

I think it's a real shame that we didn't get sets like those here, we did get nice bonus materials but the JP sets look like they are actually worth quite a bit of money

So Garden of Sinners is still gonna be a DVD sized box with the BDs in thin DVD cases? Shame they're not gonna just copy the US/Japanese set in form factor and such but I guess it's not the end of the world.

Looking at the photos posted a couple pages back of the GoS DVD box set, it looks like it has a fairly thin cardboard box, and not a thicker chipboard box.

Asterisk war is very close to AoA level iirc. It’s very good for the price difference from aoas set

Just curious, as they authored The Asterisk War locally, how was the subtitles anyway? I knew they had the same problem as Manga with them being unable to display more than one line of captions at a time on their DVD versions of Flip Flappers and Grimoire of Zero (the former title I've read on Just Passing Through's review, the latter title I checked myself as I have the CE combo pack), but I don't know how they did on their Blu-rays.

Just curious, as they authored The Asterisk War locally, how was the subtitles anyway? I knew they had the same problem as Manga with them being unable to display more than one line of captions at a time on their DVD versions of Flip Flappers and Grimoire of Zero (the former title I've read on Just Passing Through's review, the latter title I checked myself as I have the CE combo pack), but I don't know how they did on their Blu-rays.
They were AoAs font so I think they used their track I haven’t fully watched it yet though

Remember that authoring does not mean encoding.

For Asterisk, MVM could have used the AoA encode on their discs, with if few minor differences in others domains, like audio/subtitle.
AoA does that often for their local releases, the video encode is the same as AoJ bit by bit but the audio is a little different (like Heaven's feel for example) It's still a 99% clone of AoJ.

Did someone compared the 2 versions for asterisk and stated that it was not an Aniplex encode with concrete proofs?

For Asterisk, MVM could have used the AoA encode on their discs, with if few minor differences in others domains, like audio/subtitle.

One of the differences I know of is that unlike the AoA release where the subtitles are completely optional, the MVM release has only the main translation optional, but the signs track is player forced.

Out of curiosity, has there been any update on the Land of the Lustrous disk 2 situation, and/or is there an actual plan to replace it if the issue is proven? I remember someone mentioning receiving an email stating this would be the likely solution, but I've yet to hear any official confirmation or direction over who to contact. Should I just hit up Anime On-Line's help desk?

Out of curiosity, has there been any update on the Land of the Lustrous disk 2 situation, and/or is there an actual plan to replace it if the issue is proven? I remember someone mentioning receiving an email stating this would be the likely solution, but I've yet to hear any official confirmation or direction over who to contact. Should I just hit up Anime On-Line's help desk?

We've decided to wait until its officially released, that way we can get a better idea on a broader scale as opposed to just customers who ordered direct from us. We had the disc re-checked with our authoring house and they found no issues whatsoever. Neither American nor Australian copies had any issues either so it's been completely bizarre.

i couldn't really find a sentai focused thread aside from the premium sets thread but since MVM have the license for it here i figured it'd be fine to ask it here

with the Umaru-chan R release is there a chance that Sentai would be including the 2 OVAs that in Japan came with the manga volumes? the Animatsu release of the first season was a 1:1 clone of the sentai release and that only included the shorts and 3 videos with the VAs

i couldn't really find a sentai focused thread aside from the premium sets thread but since MVM have the license for it here i figured it'd be fine to ask it here

with the Umaru-chan R release is there a chance that Sentai would be including the 2 OVAs that in Japan came with the manga volumes? the Animatsu release of the first season was a 1:1 clone of the sentai release and that only included the shorts and 3 videos with the VAs

As you say it really does depend on whether Sentai decides to go for it. OVAs are almost always a separate license especially in the case of being released with manga volumes due to different production committees.

Back