Re:ZERO's Video Quality in UK/US discs Discussion

The french set is kinda bright. Can anyone compare those shots using a third, good source (Crunchyroll or japanese BD)?

Re:Zero Part 2 got delayed by FUNimation for the US release, from 18 September to 30 October.

It could be for various reasons, but I hope it means better PQ. If it does feature better video, then half of the show would look acceptable while half is unwatchable, unless they decide to re-encode it (which I highly doubt they will).

I wouldn't get my hopes up. This is FUNimation, the company who licenses and dubs everything they can for money rather than quality.

Re:Zero Part 2 got delayed by FUNimation for the US release, from 18 September to 30 October.

It could be for various reasons, but I hope it means better PQ. If it does feature better video, then half of the show would look acceptable while half is unwatchable, unless they decide to re-encode it (which I highly doubt they will).

I wouldn't get my hopes up. This is FUNimation, the company who licenses and dubs everything they can for money rather than quality.

They did go back and redo S2 of code Geass to fix the mono audio, so it's not entirely out of the question.

I won't ever shut up about how bad Re:Zero looks. I found a lossless clip of the FUNimation Blu-ray. No additional compression whatsoever, just converted to MP4.

Here

It looks terrible!

I'm sure as you all know now, but Madman in Australia is releasing Re:Zero Part I in April, and on their forums, they said they were using a new master. I PM'd them on Twitter and they said the following:
We are using new masters that have improvements on the original US release.

So yes, it's a different encode. I'd take an average encode with some minor (emphasis on minor) banding over FUNi's garbage.

Madman's release is a Funimation distribution title, so they're sourcing their master from Funimation. Which is to say, Funimation are fixing the discs, so don't expect a great encode, just a fixed one.

MOTHERF**KER!!! Part 2 of FUNi's Re:Zero isn't much better. It's not as bad as Part 1, but damn. I can spot some kind of banding in every frame.
Here's some caps from Pika on the BD forums:
DELjksM.png

QV2nRjS.png

Mvcw2EF.png

mJa0CCU.png

MvQHLXn.png

lUkumAC.png

Q03aWGr.png

MfYRHeZ.png

QzoLSYA.png

10DGBeM.png

Surely they must be provided crap masters to work with, considering the backlash from part 1...
I just don't see how part 2 could be almost as bad when the Japanese Blu-rays are rather impressive.

Back