The Gaming News Thread (for news that doesn't need a thread)

Counterpoint: Recent leaks are saying it's 35% faster than the 1080Ti, and others say the 2080 also outpaces the 1080Ti in synthetic tests, which all seems within what I'd expect. Apart from anything else, why would the newer card be slower? (Unless you're comparing games with raytracing enabled to games without, of course, which wouldn't make much sense!)
I just have a nagging feeling that nvidia are not being honest about the rtx performance but just have to wait and see the benchmarks

I just have a nagging feeling that nvidia are not being honest about the rtx performance but just have to wait and see the benchmarks
Well, I think they're focussing on their new shiny thing – raytracing – and perhaps not wanting us to figure out that we won't be raytracing at the framerates and resolutions we've grown used to. No-one's going to be playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider in 4K at full settings plus raytracing at a playable frame rate this generation, that's for sure, that's still a generation or two out. (Same as 4K/60FPS was a few years ago, which has only just changed with these cards.)

But in terms of the games we'll actually be playing, without raytracing, there's no reason to believe that this isn't just another generational bump – we've had a 20-30% increase in performance each generation for quite some time now, and given it's been 18 months since the 10xx series was released, I'd be surprised if we didn't see that or slightly better in most situations.

But really, it's impossible to draw any conclusions until after the cards launch and reliable reviewers get their hands on retail cards with production drivers. Until then, it's all wild speculation and, I suspect, more than a little fear-mongering.

Well, I think they're focussing on their new shiny thing – raytracing – and perhaps not wanting us to figure out that we won't be raytracing at the framerates and resolutions we've grown used to. No-one's going to be playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider in 4K at full settings plus raytracing at a playable frame rate this generation, that's for sure, that's still a generation or two out. (Same as 4K/60FPS was a few years ago, which has only just changed with these cards.)

But in terms of the games we'll actually be playing, without raytracing, there's no reason to believe that this isn't just another generational bump – we've had a 20-30% increase in performance each generation for quite some time now, and given it's been 18 months since the 10xx series was released, I'd be surprised if we didn't see that or slightly better in most situations.

But really, it's impossible to draw any conclusions until after the cards launch and reliable reviewers get their hands on retail cards with production drivers. Until then, it's all wild speculation and, I suspect, more than a little fear-mongering.
Only review site that have signed up to nvidia multi year nda will be getting Rtx cards and drivers for review and the ones that haven't will have buy one.if that's not suspicious then I don't know what is.

A few announcements that were probably meant for the Direct came out anyway:

• Mega Man 11 Demo is now is available to download on Switch, PS4 and Xbox One.
  • Civilisation VI is coming to Switch in November.
  • Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition HD is out now on PS4, Xbox One and coming to Switch at a later date.
I downloaded the MM11 demo though I mainly wish to comment on that third announcement.

What the hell?! Why on earth should anyone want a mobile version of a AAA game on platforms that have the full game? In fact the full FFXV is cheaper oj those platforms at this point!

After all those teases and talk of FFXV on Switch... revealing this is going to leave a bad taste in people's mouths, wonder if it will be worth the inevitable backlash. There's about five other easy Final Fantasy ports they could have made that would go down far better.

Plus, the us out on Switcg 'later'? I get it when a huge big budget port is sometimes held up but not a jumped-up mobile port!

I get it when a huge big budget port is sometimes held up but not a jumped-up mobile port!
I didn't realise quite how popular mobile gaming was in Japan til I was stood on a train over there seeing it for myself. Switch was being massively promoted but only saw a few people with them.

I didn't realise quite how popular mobile gaming was in Japan til I was stood on a train over there seeing it for myself. Switch was being massively promoted but only saw a few people with them.

Still likely to be the best selling current platform in Japan though pretty soon.

Last edited:
Nintendo Direct September 2018:

Nintendo Switch:

Nintendo Switch Online - 19th September 2018
Online Play
Nintendo Entertainment System (Online Play also supported, games updated regularly)
Save Data Cloud
Smartphone app (Voice chat)
Exclusive offers for members (more info later)
£3.49 - 1 month
£6.99 - 3 months
£17.99 - 12 months
£31.49 - 12 months family bundle (up to 8 users)

NES style controllers
  • Animal Crossing - 2019
  • Capcom Beat em Up Bundle - Final Fight, The King of Dragons, Captain Commando, Knights of the Round, Warriors of Fate, Armoured Warriors, Battle Circuit - 18th September 2018
  • Carcassonne - Coming Soon
  • Catan - Coming Soon
  • Cities: Skylines: Nintendo Switch Edition - Available Now
  • Daemon X Machina - 2019
  • Diablo III: Eternal Collection - 2nd November 2018, All Amiibo figures compatible
  • FIFA 19 - 28th September 2018
  • Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered - 2019
  • Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon Everybody! - Winter 2018
  • Final Fantasy VII - 2019
  • Final Fantasy IX - 2019
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster - 2019
  • Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - 2019
  • Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition HD - Available Now
  • Just Dance 2019 - 26th October 2018
  • Katamari Damacy REROLL - Winter 2018, Remastered in HD
  • LEGO DC Super Villains - 19th October 2018
  • The Lord of the Rings The Living Card Game - Coming Soon
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 - 2019
  • Mario Tennis Aces - Additional Content (Ver. 2) 19th September 2018, More Content coming til June 2019
  • Mega Man 11 - 2nd October 2018, Also supports Mega Man Amiibo
  • Munchkin - Coming Soon
  • NBA 2K Playgrounds 2 - Autumn 2018
  • NBA 2K19 - Available Now
  • New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe - 11th January 2019, New Super Luigi U also included
  • Pandemic - Coming Soon
  • Pokemon Let's Go - 16th November 2018, Switch bundle also coming
  • Sid Meier's Civilization VI - 16th November 2018
  • Splatoon 2 - Additional Content (Ver. 4) Coming Soon
  • Starlink: Battle for Atlas - 16th October 2018
  • Super Mario Party - 5th October 2018, 80 new mini-games
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Animal Crossing's Isabelle playable rofl
  • TEAM SONIC RACING - Winter 2019
  • TOWN (working title) - 2019, Game Freak developed RPG
  • Warframe - 20th November 2018
  • The World Ends With You -Final Remix- - 12th October 2018
  • World of Final Fantasy Maxia - 6th November 2018
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - 21st September 2018 (14th for Season Pass)
  • Yoshi's Crafted World - Spring 2019
Nintendo 3DS:​
  • Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn - 2019
  • Luigi's Mansion - 19th October 2018
  • Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey - 25th January 2019
  • Yo-Kai Watch Blasters - Out Now, Additional Content 27th September 2018

Poor Final Fantasy VIII... I share most of the problems most have but it still seems weird that its missing.

Now people can stop debating whether or not Cloud in Smash Bros is justified.

I actually get Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition as it was temporarily discounted and I really wouldn't recommend it.

Firstly, the loading times can be as long as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or Zelda despite the massive visual gap and its already crashed on me once.

It's inescapably a mobile game with its limited controls abd basic presentation. Yes, it will give you the main story of FFXV but certainly not the experience. There is no overworld to explore with the areas you explode being linear shrunk down versions of places you're required to go to during the main quest, once you leave an area, you aren't going back unless the story requires it. All the battles ?I've experienced so far have been very easy with combat itself feeling dull.

The only thing that maintains sine of FFXV's personality is the reuse of the voice acting and music (except for 'Stand by Me' because again... cheap) . There were better ways they could have made a graphically simpler remake of FFxV.

Troy Baker won't be reprising his role as 'Yuri' for additional content in 'Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition'

Troy Baker has said that he was not approached to reprise the role of 'Yuri' in 'Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Editionl. Specifically he will not be voicing the character for additional content that was originally made for the PlayStation 3 version of the game that was only released in Japan.

So I guess when you access this additional content, it'll be blatantly obvious unless the new actor is that like for like.

Bandai-Namco often has a poor attitude to dubbing whether it be stuff like this or just not bothering at all even with popular franchises. It's stopping me getting a couple of their upcoming titles that I would otherwise be interested in.

That fact that Baker wasn't even approached really irks me especially. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't accept comparable pay to what he got before, he still regularly does VA for video games.

I find it a little different from when an actor moves from non-mainstream anime dubbing to western animatiob and they and/or their agency decide to stick to higher paying work.

I mean, it wouldn't have shocked me if they weren't dubbing these parts at all so I guess we should be a little bit thankful.

Link

Back