Political views in reviews (split from GITS Part 2 review)

As I said in the review thread, while it's understandable to keep entertainment and politics seperate most of the time, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is a political show. Certainly you can watch it for the sci-fi and the cyberpunk action, and you can review it that way, but that is only half the story. From overarching themes to individual stories, it's replete with political allegories, meaning that you can relate it to current affairs even as times change.

Back in 2003, no one had heard of fake news and external forces altering public opinion, but you can see the 1st Gig and the Laughing Man meme that way now. The allegories of immigration in 2nd Gig, medical and social care in Solid State Society are more obvious. You can find commentary on "the American Empire" CIA kill squads, tensions on the Korean peninsula, the Yasukuni shrine, isolationism, capitalism, social media and more in the episodes. History and future trends are reflected and explored in the stories.

If you don't want to see politics in the entertainment you (general you, not specific you)watch, and even choose not to see it, fair enough, your choice. You're also free not to appreciate someone making political comment in reviews about that entertainment. But I for one am happy to see a diversity of opinion in what are subjective and personal reviews, including political commentary.
I can't remember where I said it, but I have said before that there are two kinds of politics in entertainment - internal politics, something that more naturally happens in a certain piece of entertainment, a chosen subject or philosophy, something like GitS is built around it's chosen subjects, and agenda driven politics, something inserted into that piece of entertainment that doesn't date well, arguably doesn't fit and is more reflective of <current year> politics than the media itself.
GitS does reflect some of the things we think about today, but it's also dated, that's because much of the politics it's built around isn't specific, it's broad. I don't remember much about the wars from the series apart from certain characters mentioned to have an involvment in some global disputes, and those seem to be based of poor relations between countries that have been that way some 20 or 30 years before even the first film came out, it's cyberpunk aesthetic is full of things that could be possible, but we don't have yet, or they still exist in another form.
there are a few scenes in season 1 that both don't reflect reality and somewhat could before long, and could have some slight spoilers; one episode follows a foreign politician's son falling in love with an android, they watch films on cellophane reels, something so obsolete that I can't see us having the technology to actually play them by the time period GitS is set in, there's another curious episode where some students sell organs on the black market, section 9 investigates a legitimate organ farm where pigs are grown with genetically human organs and the pig's organs are harvested for medical purposes, scientists are now arguing about the ethics of doing such a thing when they now know they can do it, and at the end of the first series aramaki and mokoto come across a huge library, aramaki makes some comment about printed material being produced only as a force of habit, it's sort of true today, physical books today only really exist anymore because people like to read them that way, and old people still exist, many of them will still swear by something they can touch, but in about 20 - 30 years those old people will be gone and be replaced by people around my age, we are the first generation to integrate into an almost entirely digital life.
what it doesn't even go out of it's way to predict is stuff like trump, teresa may, or anything quite as specific as what is happening today, anything with the corrupt politicians and the activism in GitS is mostly from it's own fictional wars, which, with how a few of those countries are today, could possibly collapse if they tried entering into a war with countries that have a stronger economy and much better weapons, there's also the fact that trump has just shaken hands with kim jong un, and the joke was made, twice, after trump had ended the d*** measuring contest him and jong un had on twitter, making the joke pretty outdated from it's conception.
there are people who don't like to hear of trump because they don't like him, and there's people who are getting sick of "hurr hurr trump" jokes especially when he's doing more in under 2 years than obama did in 8

As I said in the review thread, while it's understandable to keep entertainment and politics seperate most of the time, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is a political show. Certainly you can watch it for the sci-fi and the cyberpunk action, and you can review it that way, but that is only half the story. From overarching themes to individual stories, it's replete with political allegories, meaning that you can relate it to current affairs even as times change.

Back in 2003, no one had heard of fake news and external forces altering public opinion, but you can see the 1st Gig and the Laughing Man meme that way now. The allegories of immigration in 2nd Gig, medical and social care in Solid State Society are more obvious. You can find commentary on "the American Empire" CIA kill squads, tensions on the Korean peninsula, the Yasukuni shrine, isolationism, capitalism, social media and more in the episodes. History and future trends are reflected and explored in the stories.

If you don't want to see politics in the entertainment you (general you, not specific you)watch, and even choose not to see it, fair enough, your choice. You're also free not to appreciate someone making political comment in reviews about that entertainment. But I for one am happy to see a diversity of opinion in what are subjective and personal reviews,
Agree with all of this.

including political commentary.
Am less inclined to agree with this. At least not when someone's entire review of something is based around their interpretation of it measured against their political beliefs. I feel like people who review media from this standpoint totally diminish fiction as storytelling, direction, animation etc. and simply view it as "what political agendas can I read into this?" whether those agendas are actually present or intentional or not, and in most cases I think they're not. In the last few years, this from of criticism has become increasingly popular with both ends of the political spectrum, and it's just as horrible and cringe inducing to read whether it's bashing or praising things simply for pushing what "reviewers" perceive as "agendas".

And it's getting worse. I went to see Solo without reading any reviews, then when I'd seen it and formed my own opinions I made the terrible mistake of reading some online. I liked the character of L3 because I thought she was fun and her interactions with the other characters were entertaining, but almost every goddamn review I've read has either been bashing or praising her character for being feminist propaganda (and in one notable instance that would have been hilarious if it wasn't so serious about it, managing to praise the film for her "feminist" character and then condemn it for making her essentially a slave to Lando, an evil MAN). And then of course there were people who had nothing but vitriolic hated for her for the same reasons. They had nothing else to say about the character (and in some cases, seemingly nothing else to say about the rest of the film at all) other than view her as either good or bad propaganda. And it's been a similar story with several recent films and shows, anime included. I honestly want to bash all these people's heads together, progressively harder and yelling with increasing volume SHE'S A F***ING ROBOT until there is in fact very little left of their heads. Because I think they're contributing to ruining people's enjoyment of fiction by trying to turn everyone's interpretations of what fiction is into nothing BUT political agenda pushing. It's ruining discussion of media because these views are influencing others who are then parroting the same thing in forums and comments sections all over the web. It feels like these people don't even like fantasy, they just want all forms of fiction to be overt propaganda for their own world views.

I would be willing to bet an infinite amount of money that if you gave me a random piece of media and a random political ideology, I could come up with a way in which said media totally validates or totally repudiates said ideology, because you can make up any old balls to fit your agenda if you reach hard enough. Conspiracy theorists have been doing exactly that for decades, now it's gone mainstream. But it's no less barmy.

there are people who don't like to hear of trump because they don't like him, and there's people who are getting sick of "hurr hurr trump" jokes especially when he's doing more in under 2 years than obama did in 8
It bemuses me how uppity and defensive some people get over anyone bashing/joking about Trump when the man himself is more than happy to be obnoxious and insulting to anyone and everyone who disagrees with him. As a public figure Trump was fair game for comedy long before he became President, and he doesn't deserve any more respect or courtesy than he shows anyone else. People have bashed and joked about every other US President (remember George W. Bush?) but there was nowhere near the level of backlash against it there has been with Trump, which tells me that a vocal portion of his supporters are hypocrites who, much like the man himself, are happy to dish it out but can't take it.

I think his policies (some of which I actually happen to agree with, some I don't) are totally irrelevant to this discussion - Either someone is fair game for comedy and criticism or they aren't, and imo as a public figure he definitely is. If you don't find jokes funny, fair enough. But other people are free to make them. I take just as much issue with the people who attacked Tracey Ullman after her Jeremy Corbyn sketch. Humourless, knee-jerk defensive and insecurity riddled, the lot of them.

Last edited:
If I wanted opinions on politics, I would've been on a politics forum. Considering this content is about an anime release I wanted to know his opinion on it, not him taking a **** on Trump for no reason.

Pretty sure it wasn't for 'no reason.' The guy is a self-admitted sexual predator, a bully, a fascist, a racist... really, if you're going to take issue with people taking issue with somebody who stands for these things, don't expect NOT to get called out. Frankly, I couldn't care less what you wanted from Ian's review.

Oh sorry for lurking for a few years or so. I guess I'll spam the forums then, because how more posts I have how less people will have an issue with an opinion lmao.

How ironic, considering the expression of an opinion has seen you get your knickers royally knotted. I mean, well done. Really. You took one throwaway remark in the review, whipped out your keyboard balls, and now we have a whole sub-topic for it.

Actually, speaking of getting knotted, welcome to my 'ignore' list.

Frankly, I couldn't care less what you wanted from Ian's review.
Yes, it was for no reason. What did that "funny" remark add to the review? Literally nothing. Firstly joking about a possible nuclear war isn't particulary funny considering the aftermath and secondly as others have stated in this thread I would like to keep politics out of anime or related content. If I wanted my daily dose of bad trump jokes I would just read something from a random big news site.

Last edited:
Back