The General Conversation Area

I'll be 'onest, tha's an old one off a programme. aya, did you ever get to see high hopes or satellite city? couple of years old now, my dad only found the dvd for satellite city a few years ago I 'ave it somewhere, both programmes were filmed somewhere in south wales, written by boyd clack and they 'ave us spot on

I'll be 'onest, tha's an old one off a programme. aya, did you ever get to see high hopes or satellite city? couple of years old now, my dad only found the dvd for satellite city a few years ago I 'ave it somewhere, both programmes were filmed somewhere in south wales, written by boyd clack and they 'ave us spot on

Haha, I've not actually even heard of those shows I've got to be honest dude, we're so sheltered up here in the North ;) I think even "Pobl Y Cwm" was filmed down in the South (used to watch that one in school).

It was so funny though, I'll not be forgetting that one soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, I've not actually even heard of those shows I've got to be honest dude, we're so sheltered up here in the North ;) I think even "Pobl Y Cwm" was filmed down in the South (used to watch that one in school).

It was so funny though, Ill not be forgetting that one soon!
I 'ave satellite city somewhere, I 'avent found high hopes though, you gotta see them though

he's sneakin' round my girl, behind my back, in front of me!

oh and part one of the new haberdashery is up for anyone who wants to see that, I imagine it's the site's new host that allows no more then 10 attachments per post, but I think I can do a part each over the next few days

oh god, we had to use english lessons to watch through the modern romeo & juliet, I forgo' 'ose version it is, I think DiCaprio was in this one, that film is cancer on DVD
The shite one with American accents? My god that was awful, had to watch it for English GCSE didn't even end up doing Romeo and Juliet in the end

The shite one with American accents? My god that was awful, had to watch it for English GCSE didn't even end up doing Romeo and Juliet in the end
I forgo' the reason we 'ad to watch it at all, I think the teacher either ran out of ideas, we did somethin' 'orribly 'orribly wrong or the teacher thought "'ow can I torture a class full of children? Oh wait up 'eres this DVD!"

I forgo' the reason we 'ad to watch it at all, I think the teacher either ran out of ideas, we did somethin' 'orribly 'orribly wrong or the teacher thought "'ow can I torture a class full of children? Oh wait up 'eres this DVD!"
We watched the one with Michael York as Tybalt when we did it in school, I think it was made in the 70's; I forget the director's name.

I quite like Shakespeare (though tragedies > comedies because man has comedy changed a lot), I think iambic pentameter has a very appealing sound to it. I always found that Leo DiCaprio movie cringe inducing though, it was when I was at school and it is now. If teachers want kids to find the material a ridiculous thing to make fun of rather than something interesting to study, that film is a great tool.

We studied Romeo and Juliet and MacBeth, for GCSE though we did Arthur Miller's The Crucible, which I wasn't keen on at the time but looking back, understanding it in the context of the McCarthy era does teach kids some pretty important lessons I think a lot of people could do well to remember today. Namely "Innocent until proven guilty" which seems to have reversed in the public conciousness of late.

I quite like Shakespeare (though tragedies > comedies because man has comedy changed a lot), I think iambic pentameter has a very appealing sound to it. I always found that Leo DiCaprio movie cringe inducing though, it was when I was at school and it is now. If teachers want kids to find the material a ridiculous thing to make fun of rather than something interesting to study, that film is a great tool.

We studied Romeo and Juliet and MacBeth, for GCSE though we did Arthur Miller's The Crucible, which I wasn't keen on at the time but looking back, understanding it in the context of the McCarthy era does teach kids some pretty important lessons I think a lot of people could do well to remember today. Namely "Innocent until proven guilty" which seems to have reversed in the public conciousness of late.
If you really want to be uneducated, instead of tha" which actually sounds interesting, have your lessons built around of mice and men. It's a pretty dull story for the most part, I only really remember what 3 of the characters were like, 2 of them were a 3 stooges act and the dull one kills the girl for some reason, it ends quite sad but really most of the story is really dull

If you really want to be uneducated, instead of tha" which actually sounds interesting, have your lessons built around of mice and men. It's a pretty dull story for the most part, I only really remember what 3 of the characters were like, 2 of them were a 3 stooges act and the dull one kills the girl for some reason, it ends quite sad but really most of the story is really dull
I did Of Mice and Men, pretty much American dream and rabbits
Also did An Inspector Calls which was a bit better

Back