Blu-Ray versus DVD: the ongoing format war and DotW discussion

I'm not going to suddenly say that the DVDs that I've been happily watching for 15 years now look like pants, as they were good enough before to watch.
This is pretty much where I stand as well. Another relevant factor here is our list of Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs. The simple fact is that some of these faults are exclusive to the BD version, making the DVD technically superior.

For example, the out-of-sync audio on Manga's BD of Freedom. I'm glad I bought the DVD version, because I'd have ended up never watching the BDs packaged in the collectors' combi, despite the extra cost. The only other thing there was to gain from it was... *gulp* ART CARDS!

This is pretty much where I stand as well. Another relevant factor here is our list of Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs. The simple fact is that some of these faults are exclusive to the BD version, making the DVD technically superior.

For example, the out-of-sync audio on Manga's BD of Freedom. I'm glad I bought the DVD version, because I'd have ended up never watching the BDs packaged in the collectors' combi, despite the extra cost. The only other thing there was to gain from it was... *gulp* ART CARDS!

The true solution is to buy the Bandai version ;)

For what it's worth, the discs have a BBFC rating on them for some reason, meaning I think they were or at least intended to be sold in the UK at some point
They were. Freedom was originally a worldwide simultaneous release by Beez/Bandai so the English language US and UK discs are the exact same discs produced for sale in both countries.

*trying to find a source link leads me back to one of my own posts here from 2008*

Thanks Google, I needed that reminder of my mortality today.

They were. Freedom was originally a worldwide simultaneous release by Beez/Bandai so the English language US and UK discs are the exact same discs produced for sale in both countries.

*trying to find a source link leads me back to one of my own posts here from 2008*

Thanks Google, I needed that reminder of my mortality today.

Same also applies to Gunbuster vs Diebuster: Aim for the Top! GATTAI!!

Just to jump in and explain why it's always just DVD for dotw - DVD is cheaper to produce than BD. We tend to do BD offers on special occasions - in fact we're planning to do a BD sale around the weekend for Bonfire night. The dotw has proven popular since we first started it - £10 for a complete series is a bargain in itself, perfect for gifting etc. We know some would prefer an option if the particular title is available on both, but to do it all the time is just not cost-effective. Plus we've noticed with some titles that are available on both formats, DVD outsells the BD.

I like to have DVDs around because I can play them on my laptop when I'm travelling and don't have an Internet connection. I still have a lot of DVDs from the pre Bluray days and they look perfectly fine scaled up on my PS3. Most of the things which would be upscaled on BR anyway are too old and not popular enough to be streaming so I'm perfectly fine with DVD for them.

I converted all of the A/V equipment in my home to HD ten years ago, and for the five years after that never watched a DVD again - then I got into anime collecting and had to buy some titles I really liked on DVD-only. How painful that was... My main viewing setup is a basement theater room with a 120" projection screen, which makes it hard to tolerate fuzzy SD DVD quality viewed at that size, so I avoid DVDs whenever I can. My biggest gripe over these past ten years for both anime and movies is that I hate having DVDs shoved down my throat in those dang BD/DVD combo sets, where if you want to buy a Blu-ray you have to buy a DVD with it. So I'm all cheers for Sentai saying they're going to stop making combo sets, and I hope more companies follow suit.

I myself avoid DVDs like the plague, but I'm not saying I'm totally against them, yet - I'm glad they're still out there so I still have lots of back-woods DVD fans to sell all of my unwanted DVDs to, lol....

Last edited:
The combi-packs only bothered me in the early days when it felt like you were paying more for them than you would for BD only, or when some companies annoyingly put them in DVD sized cases. Luckily that practice appears to have stopped and prices have gone down since then. I just give my spare DVDs to friends or family who like anime but not really enough to buy it or who can't afford to do so. I figure it might help people get into the hobby.

Just to jump in and explain why it's always just DVD for dotw - DVD is cheaper to produce than BD. We tend to do BD offers on special occasions - in fact we're planning to do a BD sale around the weekend for Bonfire night. The dotw has proven popular since we first started it - £10 for a complete series is a bargain in itself, perfect for gifting etc. We know some would prefer an option if the particular title is available on both, but to do it all the time is just not cost-effective. Plus we've noticed with some titles that are available on both formats, DVD outsells the BD.
Thanks for that info keep my eyes on that. Hopefully love live blu ray seasons. And hakkenden blu rays :)

Back