Everybody Loves Jerome

Good gracious.

Correct as of this instant, I have more followers than him.

Consider the significance: there are now fewer mortals in this world who care for his insight than for my lack thereof.

Very often though we make an affordable way available digitally and if for some reason that ever disappeared - for sure you'd see a standard. Some do take longer than others though. We're moving that model over time to match up too - we're only human and we do make mistakes and I'm sorry to anyone who's been frustrated by that. We strive to do better with that kind of modelling going forwards :).

Please, then, for the love of God, include the dubs, even as a seperete release option, on STO if you are not going to put them on Netflix etc to preserve the sancitiy of the physical.

"The characters speak in English" does not, never has and will never, qualify as an extra worthy of a CE buy or, an extra worthy of the added cost of time to an SE.

I know this applies to all comers; the fact that Manga had to be verbally pushed into making Akira dual language on iTunes is a goddamn embarrassment and it's genuinely distressing to know that the only english language anime on iTunes is Yugioh (including Arc V which hasn't even gotten a TV release over here FFS) and Pokemon but come on. There's money on the table here and I'm not paying money to see Log Horizon on my apple TV without a dub (Mostly cause I can watch it with subs via CR).

An lovingly frank exchange of ideas from the day of yester:

35WbpMc.jpg

Well I know it's not my fault, yet I'm the one suffering while he pirates away or breaks his terms and conditions freely to watch the very content he blocks from me and provides absolutely no alternative for those who want to support the industry.

Not feeling overly sympathetic when I'm being used as a pawn in a battle by the people who claim to be providing an exclusive service for me over things outside my control.

R

Not to particularly agree with Jerome's *ahem* possibly questionable choice of wording, but I think anyone would have a pretty hard time arguing that legal streaming doesn't hurt home video sales. I mean, that's like, where the streaming services' market share comes from, right? That business doesn't just appear out of nowhere.

Not to particularly agree with Jerome's *ahem* possibly questionable choice of wording, but I think anyone would have a pretty hard time arguing that legal streaming doesn't hurt home video sales. I mean, that's like, where the streaming services' market share comes from, right? That business doesn't just appear out of nowhere.

I believe the argument is. Without legal streaming people will just pirate it using fan subs, which means no money at all compared to the little amount from streaming.

The people who will buy a home release will still buy a home release regardless if its something streamable. That is the kind of people we are.

But we are to believe that television doesn't hurt them and is in fact desirable to boost sales, when they're almost the exact same thing for the modern generation. Illegal streaming is likewise fine and to be passively encouraged by engaging illegal streamers at cons. Are there even that many legal streamers on Crunchyroll UK in the first place in the grand scheme of things? People are wanting DVDs less now streaming exists but I'm not sure blaming legal streamers exclusively makes even the slightest bit of sense.

R

He never said exclusively, I'm sure illegal streaming and downloads hurts well. Also TV Broadcasts air once (Maybe a month catch up too) then you have to find alt ways of watching streaming its uploaded and there for at least a few years.

But we are to believe that television doesn't hurt them and is in fact desirable to boost sales, when they're almost the exact same thing for the modern generation. Illegal streaming is likewise fine and to be passively encouraged by engaging illegal streamers at cons. Are there even that many legal streamers on Crunchyroll UK in the first place in the grand scheme of things? People are wanting DVDs less now streaming exists but I'm not sure blaming legal streamers exclusively makes even the slightest bit of sense.

R
Television would likely bring them a larger audience, especially in comparison to the incredibly niche Crunchyroll. The 'new' viewers that are interested in home video will likely balance the 'old' viewers that aren't.

Apparently Crunchyroll gets 1.3m streams a week across its entire contents, so the number of people streaming Manga content within the UK would be tiny. Probably even smaller than a single weekday CITV screening.

As a consumer, If i want to stream anime, why should I care that BD sales are affected by my choice in anime consumption methods? I can understand why Jerome doesn't like the idea that streaming may make me not want to buy the BD, but we live in a world where the consumer has the right to stream legally if they want to rather than buy a physical product.

Jerome has a business to run, and at the end of the day he's looking out for his own best interests, understandably so. But then you can view his actions as very anti-consumer, his customers have no choice.

Physical home media is already becoming a relic in an age where people are consuming digitally whether it be smart apps on their TV or streaming via their PC.

Cos anime is a niche medium we need the support of these companies or it will die.

Erm, well would it? I mean, have you seen how many licenses Crunchyroll got this season. Hypothetically speaking, just because Manga/Animatsu go out of business does not mean anime dies, just your preferred option of consuming anime might take a hit (buying UK DVDs/BDs from them specifically). If Manga went out of business, Crunchyroll would still be buying licenses as long as their subscriber numbers warrant it.

Physical home media is already becoming a relic in an age where people are consuming digitally whether it be smart apps on their TV or streaming via their PC.
The day that digital-only becomes the only option for anime is the day I go back to pirating all the anime I want to watch.

Not quite sure I understand the logic in this.....

I'm actually kind of with him. In the digital world, if you want something indefinitely, you either hack or you pirate. Very rarely is DRM-free an option...

Even J-Novel Club's supposedly DRM-free ePubs have a purchaser identifier built in.

I'm actually kind of with him. In the digital world, if you want something indefinitely, you either hack or your pirate. Very rarely is DRM-free an option...

Im sure if physical media disappears then there will always be a "buy to own digitally" like amazon video, itunes etc, else where will the companies get their money other than through subscriptions. I don't advocate piracy tbh

Back