UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

But just think of all the additional dollars they can exact from casual cinema-goers, wary as they are of hearing anything in a tongue aside theirs! (Unless it is spoken by a villain, of course.)
Of course Trumps 'Murica is in full force right now! How naive of me...

So, Your Name will be released theatrically in North America on 7th April - with the English dub containing English-language songs performed by RADWIMPS (Source.

I wonder how this will impact our home video release? Will there be separate options for dub/sub songs alongside dub/sub audio, or will dub mean dubbed everything and sub mean subbed everything?

My plan at least is three versions:

1. Japanese with original songs + subs
2. English dub with original songs
3. English dub with Radwimps English songs

For theatrical, I preferred 1 + 2 but was aware 3 was coming early this year.

Best,

AP

My plan at least is three versions:

1. Japanese with original songs + subs
2. English dub with original songs
3. English dub with Radwimps English songs

For theatrical, I preferred 1 + 2 but was aware 3 was coming early this year.

Best,

AP
What about the more important fourth version - isolated music track?

Why is ERASED now so close to Madman's release there is very little reason to support ALs. As we were the CE approach would get a faster release which is obviously now wrong

Actually we agreed to work with Madman on the discs. I'm also waiting for a reply from AoA about release formats so you may get the best of both worlds and a choice - worst case we'll always find a way on ERASED like I discussed so watch this space :).

Best,

Andrew

We were told we were paying to get it faster.

Did I ever say you were paying to get it faster? I said we were delivering the best value we could given the restrictions we had. Now obviously if that has changed for ERASED as it seems to have, we investigate the best option for fans too as that is relevant to us and this is a title where we'd like to maintain similarities to our Australian friends given shared region code if we can :).

So in this case we're working on the best model we can - either way there'll still be a Collector's (because man I love the show and if folks don't love it that much then fair play, but I certainly do) but if I can introduce something else too for those who don't fit that category, great when it's 6 eps per part :).

AP

What about the more important fourth version - isolated music track?

As the director himself hasn't created one, the final choice doesn't lie with us on that and there may well be an issue if they don't do it in Japan. Messing with that kind of thing is very personal to the director and while I find it an interesting idea - it's not always an easy sell either so don't hold your breath but of course we'll try :).

AP

because man I love the show and if folks don't love it that much then fair play, but I certainly do
This, I somewhat take issue with. I loved ERASED, I just see little to no worth in a CE that isn't able to include the OST. I don't even look at booklets, they tend to just sit there forever untouched.

This, I somewhat take issue with. I loved ERASED, I just see little to no worth in a CE that isn't able to include the OST. I don't even look at booklets, they tend to just sit there forever untouched.

The booklets contain a lot of info and articles having read them - so it's a shame if they sit there untouched for you (I understand though) but as I do really love the show as does our team - you can hardly blame us for not just throwing all our toys out of the pram and not do a CE release because it isn't included. Translating extra content costs money as does printing rigid parts, so we can't magically make that cheaper - but for 6 episodes maybe there is something we can do and if that's the version you see worth in, all's fair and saves importing it from Australia :).

It's an exception to the rule but I always feel going under 7-8 eps is a pretty difficult space where either you reduce the LE to be £34.99 in some way (or you're printing a lot of them ala SAO II) or you scale up to what you want to do and find an alternative for folks who don't want to fork out that much.

Can't say I don't listen and engage anyway with folks :).

AP

Last edited:
Why is speed so important? Surely you have already watched the show which is why you wanna buy it so badly? How is waiting a bit longer gonna change anything? The only thing in my eyes it changes is your desire to watch it again, and surely waiting longer between rewatching is better as it's not so fresh in your memory.

I guess I'm from a different age, I just don't understand the instant gratification generation where you have to have everything immediately.

I'm also one of those people that buy releases and they sit on the shelf for months or years before I watch them. So I guess I'm more of a collector than a viewer these days.

This!!

No, I'm totally with you. In today's age of modern streaming, I've already seen half the shows that are releasing on physical media, or if I haven't, they're instantly available for viewing on CR, so I could watch them the day a company announced the licence. There are exceptions of course, for example all the Gundam stuff which isn't streaming anywhere is quite frustrating, but for things like ERASED, I'm not in any hurry to watch it again. Much like you, I have releases from over a year ago which I bought that are still just sitting there, untouched. I've had my Eccentric Family since September 2015.

And this!!

Ive nearly fully stopped blind buying things as I dither watching them
I still enjoy blind buying. Regardless of whether it's a blind buy or a title I enjoyed as a simulcast, most of my blu-rays will be waiting a long time until I watch them, but it's nice to know they're there, waiting for me.

I was hoping to ask for some advice about Gurren Lagann on BD. How distracting are the three parts where the video drops to SD? Do you think I should get the DVD version instead, which is at least consistent?

As stated in the post, it's around 30 seconds across 25 episodes. Yes, it's noticable, but each of the three drops in quality only last a few seconds. Watching the whole show in worse quality because of a few seconds of poor quality on the BD would be a bad idea, especially in a series that's as good looking as GL is.

Has it been revealed what the Belladonna of Sadness and Momotaro releases will include, extras-wise? Can't wait for those. Saw that there's a silly 1-star review of the former on Amazon, not sure if you could get rid of it somehow.

Has it been revealed what the Belladonna of Sadness and Momotaro releases will include, extras-wise? Can't wait for those. Saw that there's a silly 1-star review of the former on Amazon, not sure if you could get rid of it somehow.

I believe AL can report it as defamatory and submit a formal letter of complaint about it since Amazon has (stupidly) attributed a review from a different product to their brand new release.

R

Back