UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Whether it was good or not was irrelevant, I just found it amusing to see a few posters here that are normally dribbling over fanservice shows suddenly interested in obscure yaoi, just because AoA was releasing it.

Though similar things have happened with AL, a few of us did die laughing at how everyone suddenly became interested in Free! when AL released it.

So, what you're saying is that AL should release Boku no Pico?

I'm not sure I get the whole "owning everything a company has ever released" thing.

I understand if it's a curated collection, like Criterion or Masters of Cinema, and don't get me wrong, Andrew has great taste. I just don't understand how one could spend such insane amounts of money on a title they might not or perhaps don't like, just because a distributor's name is involved.

I had more disposable income back then - and let's be realistic too, Anime Ltd's pricing isn't quite up there with AoA (yet) - so it was relatively easy for me to do. I had to scale back recently though due to less money available, Anime Ltd releasing more stuff, and some of it not being as much to my tastes. To be fair, I got more selective with my purchasing across the board - and these days I rarely buy shows I've already watched via streaming - so the stuff I really hold out for is films and old anime (like Gundam) which doesn't stream.

So yeah, partly I did it just because I could (retail therapy, maybe? Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed watching everything) but also I wanted to support the company too - as I firmly believed in both their taste and supporting the UK anime industry as a whole.

So AL has released the trailer for their(?) dub of Your Name.

It's very dubby* and I want to know why everybody is doing a dumb whisper-y voice at the beginning of the trailer.

*Not in a good way, I can't stand that American overacty dub style, that sounds like it's physically impossible for them to do anything other than smile.

Last edited:
My Escaflowne still hasn't shipped from Amazon while others have said Amazon posted theirs a few days ago.

Also my Outlaw Star arrived a little damaged from Zavvi, but they're only offering a 50% refund instead of a replacement. Is that normal for Zavvi?
DSC_0076.JPG

I think you should still be able to push for a replacement if that's what you want, they're probably just trying to avoid the trouble (though I wonder if a 50% discount would actually be the cheaper option for them in this case). I suppose if the damage was too minor then they could try to argue that they aren't obliged to replace the item but, given that it's a Collector's Edition, visible damage to the packaging would probably qualify as significant.

I don't know the exact legal situation, but I'd be surprised if they didn't agree to a replacement if you press them on it anyway.

Zavvi have sold out of Escaflowne as well. It was there on Sunday, but I was waiting until Monday so that I could see if their £10 off £100 code would work (says some Blu-rays and DVDs are excluded). Monday arrived, and Escaflowne was gone. I know it's only £5 extra from AL's store, buuuut ;_;

This whole situation would be less annoying if it was just one longer delay; multiple mini-delays just give people false hope and constant dissapointment.

Back