Paprika!

cardybean

Student Council President
I ain't seen any threads about Paprika here, which is quite suprising! Anyway, yeah, it's by the makers of Perfect Blue and is definitely a milestone for animé movies.

I was gonna wait until the UK release, but couldn't resist downloading and watching. 'Tis really quite amazing, reminds me of Spirited Away mixed with GITS. Anyway, the UK release is the 30th of September (this month) so I suggest you all go and buy it!

PS. If there is already a thread about this, inform me and I'll delete :p.

I haven't had the chance to see this at the cinema yet but it's an amazing movie. I hope there's more local screenings.

The dvd came out today, as for it being at the cinema, i think there was only a few places in the country that shown it, just like the Tales of Earthsea release

cardybean said:
It's out now?! And was out at the cinema?! Hmmm.... It wasn't out at any cinemas in Newcastle >:. And hmm, what date was it released?
It was on during last year's Leeds International Film Festival and this year's Sci-fi London Anime Allnight feature. I think there were a couple of other showings but those are the ones I saw. It hasn't had a general release or even a limited release to my knowledge.

I got it using my ipoints (free anime DVDs ftw!) so it should be here before the end of the week! :]

Also, like Outlawstar, looking forward to Tekkon Kinkreet too (which I should really get down to ordering).

Gawyn said:
cardybean said:
It's out now?! And was out at the cinema?! Hmmm.... It wasn't out at any cinemas in Newcastle >:. And hmm, what date was it released?
It was on during last year's Leeds International Film Festival and this year's Sci-fi London Anime Allnight feature. I think there were a couple of other showings but those are the ones I saw. It hasn't had a general release or even a limited release to my knowledge.

Hmm, I never end up going to any festivals or anything so I guess I really miss out on all of this.

And Tales From Earthsea is out =|? God, I've been waiting so long for that! Although I have a feeling it'll not be a patch on the other Studio Ghiblis.

Might just pick this up looks very good. Although somewhat confussed as to if its just jap with subs or if its got dub as well due to different site saying different things? Anyone care to clear this up for me an also what extras are included?

It has English dub and Japanese dub with English subs and English hard of hearing subs. The only special feature on the disc is a filmmaker commentary.

Gawyn said:
It has English dub and Japanese dub with English subs and English hard of hearing subs. The only special feature on the disc is a filmmaker commentary.

Thanks for confirming that, Gawyn! I was worried it would only be Japanese. I prefer watching my anime in English, but I don't mind it's only in Japanese - however, I'd have a hard time convincing my friends to watch Paprika if it lacked an English language option!

I've not seen it yet. I was planning a review of it over the weekend, but Sony sent me the extras screener disc by mistake! :) However, my pre-ordered copy from Play.com showed up this morning, so I'll definitely try to find the time to see it over the coming week. Honestly, can't wait - it's not everyday two of the best movies of the year get released on the same day.

The other movie I'm talking about is Tekkonkinkreet. And by golly, it's another winner that I can't help but utterly recommend.

Paul said:
I've not seen it yet. I was planning a review of it over the weekend, but Sony sent me the extras screener disc by mistake! :) However, my pre-ordered copy from Play.com showed up this morning, so I'll definitely try to find the time to see it over the coming week. Honestly, can't wait - it's not everyday two of the best movies of the year get released on the same day.

The other movie I'm talking about is ]Tekkonkinkreet. And by golly, it's another winner that I can't help but utterly recommend.

I've never even heard of that, I'll have to buy it if my local has it :].

Paul said:
And by golly
Sorry, I had to quote that.

It really is an excellent movie but highly confusing. I'm looking forward to watching it again so I can get a better grasp of it. Satoshi Kon hasn't let me down yet.

The old scientist guy speaking gibberish was hilarious in a oddly disturbing way and one of my favourite parts of the movie. At first I thought he was just spouting out some odd psychobabble and went along with it until I eventally realised that it was a bunch of random sentences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nearly bought it today for £15 (Forbidden Planet if this was a good deal) but had already had my eye on several things...sounds very interesting so must add to my 'wants' sometime, wouldn't have considered it until reading here and in 'Neo'.

Back