Paprika!

Hmm, I'm pretty sure HMV has it for £12, was checking on the site earlier. I try to not buy things from Forbidden Planet 'cause they overcharge so much, there's a shop next to it where I live called Travelling Man which is a little cheaper. Where you from? If you're talking about the Newcastle Forbiden Planet, walk like 3 shops down and you'll find Travelling Man.

cardybean said:
Hmm, I'm pretty sure HMV has it for £12, was checking on the site earlier. I try to not buy things from Forbidden Planet 'cause they overcharge so much, there's a shop next to it where I live called Travelling Man which is a little cheaper. Where you from? If you're talking about the Newcastle Forbiden Planet, walk like 3 shops down and you'll find Travelling Man.

I work in Bristol and FP just happens to be down the road from my workplace, meaning many a lunchtime browsing. But the HMV offer sounds better, would be tempted at that price! I agree FP tend to overcharge on things and wish there was an alternative but usually they are handier.

Paul said:
I've not seen it yet. I was planning a review of it over the weekend, but Sony sent me the extras screener disc by mistake! :) However, my pre-ordered copy from Play.com showed up this morning, so I'll definitely try to find the time to see it over the coming week. Honestly, can't wait - it's not everyday two of the best movies of the year get released on the same day.

The other movie I'm talking about is Tekkonkinkreet. And by golly, it's another winner that I can't help but utterly recommend.

I know what you mean.
I knew they were coming out on tyhe same day but when I saw the two gleaming plastic cases side by side in the shop it was very exciting.

Just picked up Paprika.
Gonna watch it tonight.
Getting Tekkon Kinkreet on the weekend.
Cant frikin wait.

Fair play Mike Arias.Some achievement.

Outlawstar said:
Paul said:
I've not seen it yet. I was planning a review of it over the weekend, but Sony sent me the extras screener disc by mistake! :) However, my pre-ordered copy from Play.com showed up this morning, so I'll definitely try to find the time to see it over the coming week. Honestly, can't wait - it's not everyday two of the best movies of the year get released on the same day.

The other movie I'm talking about is Tekkonkinkreet. And by golly, it's another winner that I can't help but utterly recommend.

I know what you mean.
I knew they were coming out on tyhe same day but when I saw the two gleaming plastic cases side by side in the shop it was very exciting.

Just picked up Paprika.
Gonna watch it tonight.
Getting Tekkon Kinkreet on the weekend.
Cant frikin wait.

Tekkon Kinkreet is out in the UK?

My copy arrived yesterday morning and I managed to watch it in full once back in from work.

I'm not overly fond of Perfect Blue, but thought Paprika was worth a look see any way and certainly didn't disapoint. Well animated, suitable music and a dam good story. The story is easy enough to follow and to understand first time round and is well worth a second or third viewing.

I watched it in Japanese (Dolby 5.1) with Eng sub's, nothing seemed out of place or out of sync.

If you've already got a copy watch it asap, if not beg, steel or borrow one as I don't think you'd be to disapointed :D

-------------

Just a quick thought - it was said about GitS "This is the kind of movie James Cameron would make if Diseny would let him" I think Paprika is the kind of movie Stephen King would make if Diseny ever let him ...

I just had a quick look at the English language version and it looks pretty good to me. Since i've already seen it in Japanese befor I got the DVD I might give the dub a go.

And yes the soundtrack is fantastic! I might just go ahead and order it.

Wait, what? There's a dub on the DVD? I'm sure the DVD only contains the Japanese version with sub. o_0

And yes, Susumu Hirasawa is a God~!

BlackWolf said:
Yup, same day as Paprika :p Kinda annoying as i have to wait till next week before i can get them :x

Are you sure haha? I had a look today and couldn't find it, and checked the HMV website and it's not on there. It's been released in stores? Or do you mean you can have it imported from America? Or even Japan? Hmmm...

cardybean said:
BlackWolf said:
Yup, same day as Paprika :p Kinda annoying as i have to wait till next week before i can get them :x

Are you sure haha? I had a look today and couldn't find it, and checked the HMV website and it's not on there. It's been released in stores? Or do you mean you can have it imported from America? Or even Japan? Hmmm...

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/-/37/51/-/3 ... type=genre

yeah...I'm sure :p

Plenty of people mentioned the soundtrack... I'm glad I'm not alone then ^^;

Although looking at it objectively, the story wasn't especially strong, I think it was told in such a fun way that it more than makes up for it. It moves at a swift pace without ever being confusing.

Oh, and of course the animation and artwork were superb ^^

It reminded me a lot of Millenium Actress which I didn't particularly care for in terms of its format. Since I know Satoshi Kon is capable of making meaningful films I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. However I must ask, what the hell is he saying in this film?

PS Did anyone notice the Miyazaki references?

I think that comparasons between Takeshi Murakami's ideas about Superflat (due to his satirical depiction of parts of Japanese culture). With that I do feel that it does contain some of the social commentary he is know for however it may be lost in translation being specifically Japanese. To me though I think he was expressing through this movie that even though people are drawn into the idea of dreams, they aren't a means to escape reality. Even if the social commentary is missed by some though there's one thing that can be said, they had a hell of a lot of fun with this movie and it shows through the atmosphere and visuals.

Watched it again with a few friends on Sunday. Still fantastic, and I picked up on things I missed the first time as well. I love the sequencess with the Detective (sorry I forget his name).

The thing is with Millenium Actress even though it isn't very analytical I understand what he's trying to say because I've seen Perfect Blue and I get where it fits in. Whereas with Paprika I don't even know where to start.

I'm not sure what you mean (might because i'm tired though).

Edit: Hey, waddayaknow. A quote from the man himself.
“On television and through the Internet people are being seduced by the sweetness of illusion and the sweetness of dreams,â€

I just thought he wanted to make a crazy-looking film that's one hell of a lot of fun to watch, so that makes sense to me. Any film that references Monkey deserves kudos anyway!

Back