Paprika!

Martin said:
I just thought he wanted to make a crazy-looking film that's one hell of a lot of fun to watch, so that makes sense to me.
After listening to some of the commentary I think that was a bit part of it as well.

After listening to all of the commentary I think I pretty much get it now.

Anyone got an idea what the Sphinx and Oedipus is about?

Got this in the post today. The cover is pretty awesome and I'm sure I'll be ale to sell my friends on watching the movie with that cover alone. Watched the first few minutes of it, and all seems well with the dub. Yay!

Having watched the dub, sub and commentary I can now say that this is a great film. See, I can admit when I'm not entirely right.

Don't watch the dub though. The voice acting is good but the translation leaves a lot to be desired.

Ark said:
Don't watch the dub though. The voice acting is good but the translation leaves a lot to be desired.

Oh, I'm sure it does! How would I ever be able to enjoy this movie without knowing 2 or 3 extremely minor details that have been ommited or slightly altered from the original. Western companies sure do ruin our animes!

I don't think this place is approriate for a subs vs. dubs argument, but such suggestions are incredibly annoying. I want to enjoy anime, and anime is much more enjoyable in a language one can understand. Also, Ark, do you speak Japanese? It does not seem so. You said you watched the sub - and in case you haven't noticed, that 'sub' is a translation of the original Japanese. But of course, these mere technicalities matter not, right?

Oh, sub purists :/

Anyway, I've already ordered the Paprika soundtrack based on the music in the trailer and on the title screen of the DVD - I still haven't even watched the movie ^_^

CitizenGeek said:
Ark said:

Oh, I'm sure it does! How would I ever be able to enjoy this movie without knowing 2 or 3 extremely minor details that have been ommited or slightly altered from the original. Western companies sure do ruin our animes!

I don't think this place is approriate for a subs vs. dubs argument, but such suggestions are incredibly annoying. I want to enjoy anime, and anime is much more enjoyable in a language one can understand. Also, Ark, do you speak Japanese? It does not seem so. You said you watched the sub - and in case you haven't noticed, that 'sub' is a translation of the original Japanese. But of course, these mere technicalities matter not, right?

Oh, sub purists :/

Anyway, I've already ordered the Paprika soundtrack based on the music in the trailer and on the title screen of the DVD - I still haven't even watched the movie ^_^

I'm not a sub purist. I've never even watched Eva in Japanese. I'm just saying I watched it in English first then with subs and kept thinking "I don't remember them saying that". With a plot like Paprika's especially you don't want to miss any details.

CitizenGeek said:
You said you watched the sub - and in case you haven't noticed, that 'sub' is a translation of the original Japanese.

The DVD Subtitles would be a translation of the original [Japanese] script rather than a 'audio' translation, You realize this. If that isn't the case, Than there is no different between watching the DVD Sub and a Fansub (Except for the industry losing out, Which is never a good thing).

Not sure what type of 'translation' you meant, Elaborate Pl0x? :D

Ark said:
I'm not a sub purist. I've never even watched Eva in Japanese. I'm just saying I watched it in English first then with subs and kept thinking "I don't remember them saying that". With a plot like Paprika's especially you don't want to miss any details.

Oh, well then I appologise for getting a bit angry there.

It's very hard to work out wether someone is actually giving you proper advice about a dub, or if they're just narrow-minded, idiotic, sub purists. I will take your advice on board, then ^_^

Ark said:
You do realise there are two English subtitle tracks there? One for the English dub and one a Japanese translation.

Gawyn said:
Ark said:
You do realise there are two English subtitle tracks there? One for the English dub and one a Japanese translation.

I didn't notice that it had two but I guess I watched the subs for the Japanese translation since it was displaying dialogue that wasn't in the dub.

PS I'll add that by DVD commentary standards this one was quite decent. I didn't know the music guy was so involved in the production.

Back