ZOMBIE LAND SAGA Episode 12/Series Discussion

Alright. Good final episode to round out the Sakura amnesia arc. The performances were good and the CGI OK. Interesting tidbit about Koutarou and a cliffhanger, season 2?

Now the series. I've pondered before whether it's fair to criticise a show for not going where I wanted it to, but I've got to say I think it wasted its potential after those first 2 episodes. I would have liked the terrible performances to continue with different genres and then maybe some sort of threat happened to Saga and they had to save it for real, sort of like in the OP. Terrible Idols by day, SAGA RANGERS at night. Maybe I've been watching too many TRIGGER shows!

As to what we got. The first 2 episodes were brilliant with lots of hilarious moments: Truck-kun, Scared cop, Metal Performance, Scared Cop again and that rap battle!

Then it turned into a normal idol show with the usual team bonding and training, there were still the odd funny moment like the mud festival and the onsen incident, but just not upto the early standard.

Then it started doing the backstory stuff starting with the dullest 2 characters in the show, so dull they had to share an episode for their stories. The Lily one was moving and the Saki one had it moments.

Then we had the amnesia stuff with Sakura which just felt like forced drama and completely unnecessary, especially as they completely forgot to do probably the 2 most intriguing backstories of Yuugiri and Tea. Although like I said it had a good ending to it. Maybe they were told to leave it for a possible second season.

The designs and animation were pretty good, the music also and the CG OK. Best OP of the season.

Overall, wasted potential, but enough fun moments to get me wanting that possible 2nd season.
7/10

Last edited:
My rating is the same, it does become a bit of a generic idol show towards the middle with typical plots and the less interesting characters taking centre stage. The beginning and the end were quite strong though so it’s the sum of the parts when it comes to my overall opinion. Would like a second season if there’s an interesting story to be told.

I really enjoyed this series and like I said in the Viewing Journal thread, for me this is tied with Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai for anime of the season. It had strengths and weaknesses but was overall a good show.
I would have liked the terrible performances to continue with different genres and then maybe some sort of threat happened to Saga and they had to save it for real, sort of like in the OP.
In the beginning I thought it was gonna play out like that. It would've been fun which in essence is the heart of the show. It wasn't trying to be serious and even the touching moments had comedy to them.
Then it turned into a normal idol show with the usual team bonding and training
I wouldn't say it was a normal idol show and the zombie thing lets it stand out from the others. It doesn't make it better or worse, just different enough to class it as a comedy and not an idol show per se. I do think it benefits from the training and team bonding though because that's what let them explore the characters and more importantly their character differences which worked.
they completely forgot to do probably the 2 most intriguing backstories of Yuugiri and Tea.
Season 2 - I wouldn't be surprised if they brought more zombies in to it dating back to Yuugiri's history using that as the overall plot, and I'm still of the opinion that Tae-chan is already awake....that's just how she is.

Zombie Land Saga Staff Tease 'More' for Characters

Back