Your viewing journal

By becoming more faithful I mean it's missing out less manga scenes then it was (due to the early pacing) and the script is following that of the manga quite closesly too. And yeah, I'm a ravid (?) reader of it.

Lupus said:
Oh and I started SaiKano, don't want to be an ignorant derp, but... god damn this show is boring.
Have they all started crying yet? My recollection is hazy but I swear that every character bawls at least once every episode. It certainly seemed that way, at least. By the end of the series I felt like crying, but not because I was deeply moved.

I'm up to episode 47 of Fullmetal Alchemist. The storytelling is tremendous. If I didn't have the attention span of a pissed goldfish (which is not helped by the stifling heat) I'd still be watching, probably all the way through to the end.

Ryo Chan said:
Bleach 233

can anyone spot the plot hole?

Ichigo's still using Shinkai :D

He might be still using that but....

Bejesus doesnt his hollow side go completely OTT. That was probably the best scene i've seen in ages, its about time we saw more of his Lizard form! Should be extremely interesting once we get back onto the manga stage again

*Manga Spoilers ahead*when we see his new vizard form completely shred Ulq apart

Last edited by a moderator:
CloudedMinds said:
Ryo Chan said:
Bleach 233

can anyone spot the plot hole?

Ichigo's still using Shinkai :D

He might be still using that but....

Bejesus doesnt his hollow side go completely OTT. That was probably the best scene i've seen in ages, its about time we saw more of his Lizard form! Should be extremely interesting once we get back onto the manga stage again

*Manga Spoilers ahead*when we see his new vizard form completely shred Ulq apart

ha so many kids on MAL moaning cause they think it's a spoiler for that, forgetting this form was seen in the Vizard arc :D

Gakuen Alice. Basic story, Mikan follows her best friend Hotaru to her new school when she leaves. She is caught by a teacher trying to sneak in to se Hotaru. The teacher tells her it is a school for people gifted with an Alice (special ability) and that he thinks she may have an Alice herself and takes her in. The main part of the story is about Mikan trying to gain the respect of the other students and teachers. The art is quite cutesy and looks like a kids show. As you get into it though you realise it is not a kids show when they talk about people dying from over use of their Alice abilities and the fact the school uses some of its students to carry out Black Ops. Overall the show is not that deep or overly brilliant, but it is entertaining.

True Tears 1-4

Even though the series is high quality, it adds nothing new to the school romance genre. If there's one thing anime has too much of it's school girls because of how studios cash-in on perverts. There simply isn't anything new to add, meaning for a high rating the execution needs to be close to perfection.

Not helping matters is the fact that the series has been very slow-paced. For a 13 episode series, there hasn't been a lot of content in the opening episodes. The 'major' plot revelation in the first few episodes was that a chicken died (seriously). And, since (as the title suggests) it's a fairly serious series, there aren't many funny moments... not that the majority of childish anime attempts at humour are funny anyway.

...But, like I said, the series is high quality. You can tell it was the studios first anime because of how, even when people are talking, there are CG people walking around in the background. Older studios would more than likely be too lazy/cheap, but these guys made a serious effort to add life to the world by blending CG in. I can only say it looks nice because its focus is drama and not action, though - there isn't any flashy action to be wowed by.

In terms of the story, beaten with a stick or not, I can see it ending stronger than it's started. It's the sort of series where the romance needs to build, and the love triangle is already shaping up nicely. At this stage it isn't clear who the lead will end up with, though my money is on the long haired chick because the eccentric 'be my new chicken!' chick got in too early and the other one is with the leads best friend. I'm smart, so I'm more than likely right.

Right now, it's a 7.5-8/10 series in my mind. A bit of a let down after I expected a 9/10 one. But it does have a decent chance of getting a higher rating by the time I'm done with it.

Negima!? 1-4

I'm not sure what the purpose of this remake is supposed to be. The new studio behind it rushed through the manga content as fast as they could, skipping, rearranging or simply changing everything, and they even take away from the humour by making the story more sappy, or by making what was a comical deadly serious.

The good thing about this is that I view the source material as 6-7/10. The bad is that fast-forwarding and stripping humour away from a perverted comedy, sometimes even adding new and unfunny content, very rarely does much good.

It's been watchable up to yet... though my attention did wander during the fourth episode (the one covering new ground for me). In true Negima fashion, my rating so far is 6.5/7/10. It's up in the air whether I'll like it or not, but I'm going to keep going at least until the 13th episode.

Aion said:
True Tears 1-4
Even though the series is high quality, it adds nothing new to the school romance genre... Not helping matters is the fact that the series has been very slow-paced. For a 13 episode series, there hasn't been a lot of content in the opening episodes. The 'major' plot revelation in the first few episodes was that a chicken died (seriously).
Hmm. I've not read anything in your post that explains why you think this series a "high quality". The only thing you've praised is the inclusion of some CGI. I await for your final verdict.

As for me, I'm about 10 minutes from the end of FMA. Typically I was interrupted just as I was about to finish an epic series. I have to say, though, that the confusing parallel world nonsense has soured the experience somewhat.

For one, the art is on the more serious side, as is the story. It has had silly moments but isn't as silly as most anime with school girls - that's a plus in my mind. For two, the relationships between the characters (romance) seem real enough, though they still come down to everyone wanting the leads penis. I can see a lot of involving drama coming at the end of this 1 x 3 romance. And, finally, the series looks nice and the backgrounds are always alive, which is always a plus when anime is done on the cheap.

There are little things that make my hopeful True Tears will come good, like the relationship between the lead and his mother, who wants to push him in a different direction than he wants to go. Likewise, his mother not accepting Hiromi - who moved in when her father died - as her daughter and being nasty looks like an interesting subplot.

Basically, there's just something about it, originallity and pacing issues aside, that tells me the series will be a strong finisher. Without doing anything amazing up to yet or getting into any tear-inducing parts, it's been very solid when going over old ground, and that makes me expect good things.

Edit: Just to clarify, I guess what I was trying to say was that the series looks lovely and I can see it becoming as high quality as it looks by the end? :| **** knows.

Aion said:
True Tears 1-4

Even though the series is high quality, it adds nothing new to the school romance genre. If there's one thing anime has too much of it's school girls because of how studios cash-in on perverts. There simply isn't anything new to add, meaning for a high rating the execution needs to be close to perfection.

Not helping matters is the fact that the series has been very slow-paced. For a 13 episode series, there hasn't been a lot of content in the opening episodes. The 'major' plot revelation in the first few episodes was that a chicken died (seriously). And, since (as the title suggests) it's a fairly serious series, there aren't many funny moments... not that the majority of childish anime attempts at humour are funny anyway.

...But, like I said, the series is high quality. You can tell it was the studios first anime because of how, even when people are talking, there are CG people walking around in the background. Older studios would more than likely be too lazy/cheap, but these guys made a serious effort to add life to the world by blending CG in. I can only say it looks nice because its focus is drama and not action, though - there isn't any flashy action to be wowed by.

In terms of the story, beaten with a stick or not, I can see it ending stronger than it's started. It's the sort of series where the romance needs to build, and the love triangle is already shaping up nicely. At this stage it isn't clear who the lead will end up with, though my money is on the long haired chick because the eccentric 'be my new chicken!' chick got in too early and the other one is with the leads best friend. I'm smart, so I'm more than likely right.

Right now, it's a 7.5-8/10 series in my mind. A bit of a let down after I expected a 9/10 one. But it does have a decent chance of getting a higher rating by the time I'm done with it.

I have watched it all and checking my rating I gave it 8/10.

I do agree that it doesn't really bring anything new to the school romance genre but I really did enjoy it, True Tears had alot of drama and suspense which made me watch it till the end.

The problem I had with it is that I found there were some unnecessary scenes and I felt that Noe Isurugi was a bit too weird for me especially with the chickens and the random singing.

I wrote a review on here on episode 12 (i think) where I just laughed my socks off on a certain moment where I shouldn't of but still its worth watching all of it.

Gestalt. Fun fantasy show aping a computer game. Pity it is only 2 episodes.

Sorcerer On The Rocks. Another fun fantasy show set in the same universe as Sorcerer Hunters.

Reevothemusefan said:
I have watched it all and checking my rating I gave it 8/10.

I do agree that it doesn't really bring anything new to the school romance genre but I really did enjoy it, True Tears had alot of drama and suspense which made me watch it till the end.

The problem I had with it is that I found there were some unnecessary scenes and I felt that Noe Isurugi was a bit too weird for me especially with the chickens and the random singing.

I wrote a review on here on episode 12 (i think) where I just laughed my socks off on a certain moment where I shouldn't of but still its worth watching all of it.

Deep down, if I ignore my (small) penis and look inwards, I am in fact a woman... or, at least, that's what the enjoyment I get out of romance tells me. So, although it isn't original, the fact True Tears has lots of boyxgirl drama means I'll more than likely at least give it 8/10. I doubt a lot of guys would be able to get a lot out of it, but what can I say - I'm special.

Noe - the "eccentric girl" - is too out there for my tastes. All of the comedy thus far has come from her chicken loving ways, and it hasn't really been funny. The only reason I've been able to accept her is because the lead (he has a hard to remember name, alright!?) is often left doing a bad impersonation of The Rock's eye brow thing. To be fair to the guy, you can't blame him for ignoring her being weird as hell when she's so cute - in the name of lust, sacrifices have to be made.

As for there being too many needless scenes, I'm not quite getting why there needs to be dream sequences which meanings aren't clear. Noe appearing as an angel, with the whole world being covered in white (also known as snow)? Was that just thrown in for shits and giggles? I feel like I need to get in touch with my feminine side if I'm ever going to understand his sappy and bizarre dreams.

Hidamari Sketch 1-5

You can probably guess I'm enjoying it thanks to my new avatar. The characters are nice, it's a happy, gentle slice of life show - but hell are Shaft's animation techniques starting to get on my nerves. Similar criticisms here to those I levelled at Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - fast cutting, giving almost every close up shot patterned / gradient fill backdrops instead of a proper background and including photographic content (which totally ruins my immersion in the story - I know it's a silly thing to say about a non too serious show but that's just how I feel). I'll look past these flaws because it's lovely, but I keep thinking how much better it would be without these little annoyances.

Aion said:
I doubt a lot of guys would be able to get a lot out of it, but what can I say - I'm special.
Bishoujo anime like True Tears are aimed at teenage boys, so you're not that special =P

I'm rewatching the first ten episodes of Beck before moving onto the ones I haven't seen.

Watched the first few episodes of the new Negima series.

I love the original and really would have preffered a follow up rather than a remake.

Still undecided on this one, I love that they kept the original voice cast and I found it to be really funny, but the whole story felt rushed and the constant change in artstyle, ( most of which is really ugly ), the crappy use of multiple moving boxes and the appalling announcer/voiceover, just really turned me off.

At times I felt I was watching Pani Poni Dash.

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi - When I started watching this show I thought it was one of the wackiest anime shows I had ever seen. But I’m glad I stuck with it, because as the story progressed it started to explain itself. And once I understood what was going on, I started to enjoy it.

Have also been watching Negima!? Part 1.

(Online)
Valkyria Chronicles episodes 19 and 20.
Haruhi Suzumiya season 2 episodes 9 and 10.

Back