Your viewing journal

BLEACH: Thousand-Year Blood War Episode 27

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? V Episode 1

My Hero Academia Season 7 Episode 20

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season 3 Episode 51

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online II Episode 1

Uzumaki [English Audio] - Episode 2
Maybe I should have picked up on it by the animation studio and staff changes put out earlier this week, but this episode is such a downgrade that it leaves me very concerned for the rest, sigh

Last edited:
This series looks really great; it's got a distinctive animation style and I love the Hoshino Lily designs.
I haven't caught up with this one yet - and the name Hoshino Lily has caught my attention; thank you, @Rui, as this really inspires me to give the series a watch (unlike most of the others so far; am I a little burned out, I wonder? Or are there too many 'same old, same old' titles?)

S

Animentary Ketsudan eps 21-25 (end)
Hai! Step Jun ep 23

(non-anime)
Crimson Bat: The Blind Swordswoman
Trapped, the Crimson Bat
Watch Out, Crimson Bat!
Crimson Bat - Oichi: Wanted, Dead or Alive

Last edited:
MF Ghost 2nd Season episode 13 Death zone.

Mission: Yozakura Family episode 27 Ceremony. (Complete. A worthwhile watch across the last two seasons, and with a sequel confirmed that’s a nice bonus to look forward to!) 3.5/5

One Piece
episode 1121 Clash and crush.

Oshi no Ko 2nd Season episode 25 What comes next. (Complete. I’m glad I caught up on the first season as this was a great continuation for the story.) 4/5

Tower of God Season 2
episode 14 Fire in the hole.

TsumaSho episodes 1-2 Reincarnation.

Uzumaki: Spiral Into Horror episode 2 Rainy days.

31 Days of Halloween 2024! Day VI: The Lawnmower Man, Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace (Films)

Urusei Yatsura
episodes 41-45

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gō: Episodes 1-8

napshot_11.16.739.png
IT'S WATANAGASHI DAY!

I saw that. Despite the show thinking it was being clever and that little detail would just slip by unnoticed, I have spotted the difference that changes everything this time around: Keiichi has fixed the inauspicious tatami layout in his room, now everything will surely be fine. These glossy new character designs (and I mean that literally, it looks like everybody's been run over by a floor polisher) with their resting cat faces are going to take some getting used to, but the animation is much improved and the backgrounds look gorgeous. In terms of the show's general atmosphere it's hard to see the visual changes as anything other than an improvement, but I'd gotten so used to how the characters looked before. The redesigns are more radical with some than others, Mion and Satoko got off relatively lightly and Rena looks... a bit odd for reasons I can't quite put my finger on but it's made Keiichi look a lot younger and especially RIP to Rika's big silhouette defining sticky-out fringe, buffed to death with Autoglym.

snapshot_14.37.752.png

As for the plot, I'm definitely still hooked. Despite it following the original series' arcs quite closely this is obviously not your regular remake. A little change can make a lot of difference in Higurashi, while some of those changes might seem minor they have some fairly major implications and it's also just fun to look out for and spot them. At least to give Umineko a certain amount of dues, some of the things revealed there have me asking more questions this time around particularly on the subject of Hanyū who was once, but is now clearly not the same as, the person venerated as Oyashiro-sama... which kinda sounds a lot like a witch, since Beatrice and Maria's witch counterparts also continued to live on after their human... origin... people(?) died. She also appears to Rika (a person of her bloodline) and no-one else just like how Maria was appearing to Ange. The only spanner in this theory is that all the witches seem to be aware of and in contact with each other whereas Hanyū just appears to be on her own, but if memory serves she did imply there are more than just her putting the "shards" back together in order to reset the timeline. Hmm.

From what I've seen so far (big caveat) I suppose it is possible new viewers to Higurashi could jump into Gō, but I'd advise against it. It's a bit early spoiler-y in that it's already revealed things that weren't revealed until Kai in the original run, which feels like it expects you to have seen it. The original definately preserves the sense of mystery more, even if by comparison it is perhaps looking a little dated and cheap now. And if you can get over the charater designs Gō does look really, really nice.

snapshot_10.12.328.png

2.5 Dimensional Seduction Episode 14 First friend.

365 Days to the Wedding Episode 1 Made-up marriage.

As a Reincarnated Aristocrat, I'll Use My Appraisal Skill to Rise in the World 2nd Season Episode 2 Negotiate.

ATRI -My Dear Moments- Episode 13 A brighter future. (Complete. Despite this being a slow burner, I did find this to be an intriguing watch with it's sci-fi and post-apocalyptic concepts.) 3/5

Mission: Yozakura Family
Episode 27 Wedding. (Complete. An entertaining first season for which I'll definitely be watching the newly announced second season when it eventually airs.) 3.5/5

Plus-Sized Elf
Episode 13 (Special) Cranky Kraken.

Ranma ½ (2024) Episode 1 Never seen any of the original Ranma, so I'm going into this a neutral.

The Healer Who Was Banished From His Party, Is, in Fact, the Strongest Episode 1 Reunion and rumour.

You Are Ms. Servant Episode 1 Mysterious maid.

TsumaSho ep1: Perhaps wisely, the localisers opted for a meaningless contraction rather than translating the Japanese title about wives becoming elementary students. Unfortunately, that same choice might make it harder for this to stand out. In any case, this is the story of a bereaved widower who is just barely getting over the loss of his perfect wife when she dramatically returns as a little kid from someone else's family. She's back from the dead, only it's the opposite of most reincarnation shows because the reincarnated wife is very much hung up on her old life and intent on reconnecting with the people she loved before, which is refreshing as it has all of the elements missing from most of these shows: stakes, feelings and consequences. It's a compelling idea with skeevy undertones; while it did need acknowledging I could live without the incessant in-world quips about the dithery dad being considered a creep if anyone found out about the couple reconnecting with their new age difference. There are a few other niggles too; with its simple animation and plain art style, this isn't an attractive show and it's not all that subtle. The setup was terribly sad on its own but the dramatic presentation of a perfect family life accompanied by overwrought violins and cuts to the tragic hero pushed my tolerance for sentimentality to its limit.

Ranma 1/2 ep1: I love Ranma 1/2 and its crazy characters, but unfortunately I've already read/watched Ranma 1/2 a billion times before, so this well-made (and less saucy) remake doesn't really serve much purpose in my life. I can only imagine that this is primarily for new fans since it's not as though the previous adaptations were bad enough to need a glossy new update. It was a nice blast from the past to see it all again, though, and in a world where I had infinite free time I'd probably keep it in my schedule because I think the core formula still stands up pretty well today.

The Healer Who Was Banished From His Party Is, in Fact, the Strongest ep1: What a title. I was expecting a huge mess of copy-paste tropes and for the most part, I was right. The lead, who looks like the long-lost twin of the guy from Shield Hero, spends most of the episode explaining basic facts about his world's generic RPG-style mechanics to an ignorant new adventurer who insists on partying with him - even though he was infamously fired from a mean party for being too weak. It's a bit revenge-flavoured in that most of the supporting characters are presented as self-serving jerks in dire need of a comeuppance, but THWWBFHPIIFTS manages to establish a decent tone and I was surprised to find that I didn't completely hate it. This is almost entirely due to the mysterious female lead, who manages to have principles of her own and a more interesting design than most of her genre (even if she does strongly resemble Aladdin from Magi). She's a martial artist and while the lead is ostensibly a 'healer' with a mediocre repertoire, he's actually skilled in a number of different disciplines. Their two-person party works reasonably well, and it looks as though this show might be more watchable than most of the series it shamelessly borrows from - at least once the 'tutorial' section is over and the girl can start actually doing stuff.

There was one exchange which is so far winning as the most annoying of the season, though, and it was where the hero tells his new buddy that they can spot traps by looking out for floor tiles which are a different colour to the others. Why?! This happens in animation because the moving tile is on a cel, not the background art, but it makes no sense at all for a trap to be made from a different material in order to reward experienced explorers, as though it's all set up like an RPG to be conquered rather than a world where traps serve a purpose and are set up by individuals. A minor thing but it felt really dumb.

You are Ms. Servant ep1: Why is she called Ms. Servant and not Ms. Maid? In fact, why is she a maid at all? The lead is surprised when a cold-blooded assassin appears on his doorstep and asks him to employ her, which he eventually does - as a housemaid rather than a killer. It was weird that the lead kept saying that his house needed a maid when it looked spotless aside from the sea of neatly-tied bin bags sitting around on every surface; why does he put so much effort into bagging up all of his rubbish yet can't take it outside for collection?! Meanwhile, she can't clean, cook or perform any other mundane task so it came across as strange that he'd shove a stranger into that role. Especially when he then decided that he could teach her all of the chores that he claimed he never did, and he turned out to be reasonably sweet. The most obvious theme here is that the nameless maid has led a harsh, cruel life and her new master is lonely (and kind of lazy), so together they each have something to offer that the other desperately needs - and in spite of all of the servant/maid fetishism potential, the story resists pandering too desperately. Another bonus is that the designs are nice, detailed and distinctive, in spite of immersion-breaking details like the maid apparently sleeping in a full face of makeup and earrings. This show definitely accomplishes what it set out to achieve and rises well above its lame title - it's just that I've seen loads of these shows before and it's not a fantasy that I share. My friend absolutely loved it.

Nina the Starry Bride ep1: A rags to riches story of a young street thief who is cruelly sold, then made to impersonate a missing princess (who is presumed dead off camera, which of course usually means 'still alive' in stories like this...) The lead cannot read or write and realises very quickly that she's in over her head, but she tries her best and somehow makes it through the first episode. It looks as though we're going to be treated to a lot of attractive, politicking characters as the story continues and even though the premise is far from original, I can't wait. The artwork is nice (not quite as lovely as that of the manga, which I haven't read but have admired many times) and this is the kind of fantasy show which I enjoy; there are no adventuring guilds or goofy RPG mechanics, it's just Nina and her struggle to find a way to survive amongst a bunch of shady people with mysterious agendas of their own. I'm in.

R

Pachislo Kizoku Gin eps 1-5
Nekketsu Saikyo Gozaurer eps 1-5

(non-anime)
Cat Girl Gamblers (movie)
Cat Girl Gamblers-Naked Flesh Paid Into the Pot (movie)
Cat Girl Gamblers-Abandoned Fangs of Triumph (movie)

RoboDoc The Story of RoboCop
Episodes 1+2.
This is a fun watch and very interesting.
Helps that the effects are not made by computer. They have got interviews with just about everybody and they seem very happy to be talking about the film years later.
Always enjoyable when dozens of folk are telling you that you're correct to love a film.
I'd buy that for a Dollar.

The Inspector Wears Skirts
Edit
Now that's the proper way to start a movie.
Liked the fights. I do spend too much time trying to work out where I've seen the actors before.
She was Kit's pregnant wife in A Better Tomorrow 2, he was the bad guy in The Killer.

Last edited:
After-School Hanako-Kun Part 2 episode 5 Bad dreams.

Natsume’s Book of Friends Season 7 episode 77 Clay.

31 Days of Halloween 2024! Day VII: The Crow (Film)

Urusei Yatsura
episodes 46-54

Last edited:
A Terrified Teacher at Ghoul School! episode 1 This looks like good fun and it’s a two-cour run as well so am hoping they make the most of it.

Love Live! Superstar!! 3rd Season episode 1 A new approach.

31 Days of Halloween 2024! Day VIII: Scream and Scream Again, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock (Films)

Urusei Yatsura
episodes 55-58

Last edited:
Back