Your viewing journal

I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too (English Dub) Episode 3

In Another World With My Smartphone 2 (English Dub) Episode 16

The Eminence in Shadow (English Dub) Episode 20 (Complete... for now.)

I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too Episode 6

In Another World With My Smartphone 2 Episode 18

Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 42

I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too episode 6 Sign of the fire.

In Another World With My Smartphone 2 episode 18 Levitate.

Insomniacs after School episode 5 Admire the scenery.

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! episode 6 It’s time.

Vinland Saga Season 2 episode 32 No sale.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero: The Washio Sumi Chapter episodes 1-6 (Complete. A prequel to the original series that worked pretty well.) 3.5/5

Yuki Yuna is a Hero
episodes 1-12 (Complete. Though I enjoyed the prequel series more, this was a solid watch, and I’ll be watching the sequels next.) 3.5/5

I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job episodes 6-13: I rewatched the first couple of episodes a few months ago, and it has been preying on my mind that I should finish the series (despite it being a rewatch), so I watched them last night. Still fun, in a very booby kind of fashion.

Anyone else out there have problems with just watching individual episodes of a series?

Was trying out Chihayafuru again, but I realised I just don't really like the card game they play (Karuta), and the dynamic between the main trio either.

I've found a few sports anime have managed to get me interested despite my not necessarily enjoying the sport they play myself, but the card game is kind of silly, and I can see why it's not a popular sport outside of Japan.

I've found a few sports anime have managed to get me interested despite my not necessarily enjoying the sport they play myself, but the card game is kind of silly, and I can see why it's not a popular sport outside of Japan.

I only own one sports anime, Ping Pong, and I've had it on the shelf for 8 years and haven't even watched it yet! I was a very good ping pong player when I was younger, and even owned expensive custom-made paddles for competition. I also did just order the Aim for the Ace series and the movie from Discotek, but again only because I played on the high school tennis team myself for four years. I doubt I'll like the anime that much though - if I ever get around to watching it. Sports are such a huge turn-off for me any more, I have little incentive to try to watch either of these. Such a conundrum!

Sports are such a huge turn-off for me any more, I have little incentive to try to watch either of these. Such a conundrum!
I'm not a huge sports fan. I bought Princess Nine for my nieces two decades ago (when they were all under ten) and they never watched it. I found it on the shelf when I was visiting Australia last month and brought it back with me. I may even watch it. I did buy and (sort of) enjoy Keijo in the Christmas RightStuf sale. Struggling to think of any other sports anime I have encountered.

I only own one sports anime, Ping Pong, and I've had it on the shelf for 8 years and haven't even watched it yet! I was a very good ping pong player when I was younger, and even owned expensive custom-made paddles for competition. I also did just order the Aim for the Ace series and the movie from Discotek, but again only because I played on the high school tennis team myself for four years. I doubt I'll like the anime that much though - if I ever get around to watching it. Sports are such a huge turn-off for me any more, I have little incentive to try to watch either of these. Such a conundrum!

I don't think I actively go out of my way to watch sports anime, but I've seen some good ones, depends on your tastes though, as all things these are subjective. I would say that a lot of them are about more than just the sport they happen to be playing, a bit like how mecha anime is often about more than just the mecha.

Ones I've liked are below:

Ping Pong - Table Tennis. This is fairly short but is really good, it doesn't have any filler episodes, moves along at a good pace.
Haikyuu - Volleyball. This has a few seasons so is a bit more of a commit, but was generally very good.
Harukana Receive - Fanservice Volleyball ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). Despite having some fanservice being girls beach volleyball related, it still manages to actually pull a decent story along with it, and the fanservice isn't totally over the top.
Hanebado - Badminton. This scene sold me on it: badminton
Tsurune - Archery. This is just finished it's second season, it's a KyoAni production so good quality as you may expect.

Of course Birdie Wing is golf related as well, can't forget that!

I'm not a huge sports fan. I bought Princess Nine for my nieces two decades ago (when they were all under ten) and they never watched it. I found it on the shelf when I was visiting Australia last month and brought it back with me. I may even watch it. I did buy and (sort of) enjoy Keijo in the Christmas RightStuf sale. Struggling to think of any other sports anime I have encountered.
Your nieces missed out. Princess Nine is a great show and has one of the best final episodes I've seen in any TV series. The music will knock your socks off, especially in that last episode.

Of course Birdie Wing is golf related as well, can't forget that!

I was considering checking out Birdie Wing, since I also played on my high school Golf team and golfed regularly with my friends as a teen - But I actually haven't even watched any of the Spring Season anime series yet. Lol, I played all the 💪manly💪 sports when I was younger - Tennis, Golf, Rifle Team (inside the school with actual live .22 target rifles!), Volleyball, Ping Pong, and uh, English Darts. 😅

Last edited:
I was considering checking out Birdie Wing, since I also played on my high school Golf team and golfed regularly with my friends as a teen - But I actually haven't even watched any of the Spring Season anime series yet. Lol, I played all the 💪manly💪 sports when I was younger - Tennis, Golf, Rifle Team (in school with actual .22 target rifles), Volleyball, Ping Pong, and uh, English Darts. 😅

Birdie Wing mixes golf with guns as part of the moves they do! it's the least serious of all of the ones I've mentioned. It's worth a watch if you don't mind some ridiculousness in what goes down.

Insomniacs After School ep 5
Beach episode, with a twist!

Otaku Elf ep 5
Smartphone and fashion.

The Dangers in My Heart ep 6
Melting.

Blue Orchestra ep 5
What to strive for.

KonoSuba: An Explosion on This Wonderful World ep 5
Levelling up.

Yamada-kun ep 6
Smoke.

Dead Mount Death Play ep 5
Fortune.

Skip and Loafer ep 6
Miscommunication.

Skip and Loafer episode 6 Turning red.

Tokyo Mew Mew New~♡ 2nd Season episode 18 Transform.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero: The Hero Chapter episodes 1-6 (Complete. An emotional continuation of the first season that was good but fairly short.) 3.5/5

Yuki Yuna is a Hero: The Great Mankai Chapter
episodes 1-8

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury s2 e5
One last duel?
Damn, that ending! Have to wait 2 weeks now.

Mashle ep 5
Dangers in the wood.

Yuri is My Job! ep 5
Outburst.

Hell's Paradise ep 6
The middle way.

My Home Hero ep 6
Strong coffee.

World Dai Star ep 5
Surprise casting.

Oshi No Ko ep 5
Pieyon, Pieyon.

KonoSuba -An Explosion on This Wonderful World! episode 6 Under the hood.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero: The Great Mankai Chapter episodes 9-12 (Complete. Though it tries to be an effective conclusion I felt that this season didn’t quite work as well as what came before.) 3/5

Z/X: Ignition
episodes 1-10

KonoSuba: An Explosion on This Wonderful World! (English Dub) Episode 4

KamiKatsu: Working for God in a Godless World Episode 6

KonoSuba: An Explosion on This Wonderful World! Episode 6

My Teen Romanctic Comedy SNAFU Climax! OVA

Tokyo Mew Mew New~♡ 2nd Season Episode 18

Hell's Paradise ep6

So glad that they gave Sagiri something to do again besides scream and be ill, she’s my favourite character in this.

Konosuba: Megumin X ep2

Is it just my imagination or, given the inevitable absence of Kazuma, are they trying to force Megumin into his role this time around?

City Hunter: Shinjuku Private Eyes (2019)

A friend was showing some of the later City Hunter specials and films the other day, starting with this one, in which Ryo and Kaori come to the aid of a fashion model (naturally) while Ryo finds himself the target of an international arms-dealer. I was quite apprehensive about what a new City Hunter anime would be like in the current production market, but this was a very pleasant surprise. It doesn‘t break any new ground and does nothing to move things on from the uncomfortable ‘Ryo is a massive letch’ schtick, but it’s a tremendously good looking film with fun action set pieces. Part of me does wish they’d brought someone like Takeshi Koike onboard to push things in a different stylistic direction, but it’s remarkable how closely and lovingly they’ve managed to preserve the look of the original, while subtly updating it for the digital era. Quite looking forward to the next new film now, whenever that drops.

City Hunter: Bay City Wars (1990)

Originally part of a theatrical double bill with Million Dollar Conspiracy, this one cuts quite literally to the chase and is essentially just 45 minutes of action set-pieces as Ryo and Umibozu do battle with terrorists in the Nakatomi Plaza a high-end amusement park. There’s not much to it otherwise, but you can feel the love they put into crafting the animation and, as Orgun pointed out in the Retro Anime Podcast a while back, the comic beats in this one are rather good. I particularly liked the little gag with a goon trying to run the wrong way up an escalator in the background during one of the battle scenes.

City Hunter: Million Dollar Conspiracy (1990)

Must preface this by saying I was trying to finish some work at this point and wasn’t giving it my full attention, but this one, I was a little disappointed in, to be honest. It feels the closest to an episode of the TV series, for good and for ill (it’s a fine demonstration of the formula, but as a theatrical release, I’d prefer them to have changed it up a little more), but I feel the interesting part of its story is in whether or not Emily is the hired killer sent after Ryo, and once that was resolved around the half-way mark, I was a bit less engaged by it. The stuff with Dick the CIA man is fine, but if they were going to make that the endgame, I’d rather they‘d developed him more in the first half; it felt like his character was mostly confined to the last few minutes.

I slightly feel that somewhere between these two, there was one really good 90 minute movie - perhaps if they could have married the characterisation of the latter with the action mayhem of the former?

Back