Your viewing journal

I actually really like the animation of the classic UY, it's very visually inventive (though it's not like I wouldn't watch the new one) :)

Yeah, I don’t mean to be down on the original series, but I think it’s aged a lot more visibly than the later adaptations of Rumiko Takahashi’s work (at least for the early part) and David Pro are really giving the new one everything they’ve got in terms of the visuals. That said, if the original were more readily available through legitimate means, I’d probably be watching that instead…

High Card ep3-4

I definitely like the crazy sword lady more than the other goons. If she and the vine guy were the main characters, I’d be a lot more onboard with this, but as is, it does often feel like a show about rich idiots you‘d never get tired of punching in the face…

Samurai 7 - Episodes 1 - 9 (Blu-ray)

I originally watched Samurai 7 just after it aired and really liked it's mix of samurai lore and mecha, I partially rewatched it on Malaysian TV will I was working out there a few years later I was really enjoying again but the trip finished with a few episodes to go so I've been meaning to rewatch it in full for ages. It's available on Netflix at the moment but I bought the US Blu-ray some years ago in a RightStuf Christmas sale.

So now a third of the way through and it still holds up well, the way the show builds up the initial gathering and reveals this highly unusual world is fantastic.

Last edited:
I finally received Midnight Occult Civil Servants on Blu-ray today, even though I ordered 2 weeks ago from a UK seller.
I actually received Unbreakable Machine Doll from the USA quicker (ordered same day).

Anyway, I've watched the first 2 episodes.
It's got an ACCA 13 vibe to it.
Laid-back, seemingly slow but the 24 minutes passes fast.
I wonder why the MC's cat is played by a male in Japanese but female in the dub?

My Life as Inukai-san's Dog eps 6-9
Getting wet, home comfort and the "plot" thicc-ens.

Sugar Apple Fairy Tale ep 10
Hard labour.

Malevolent Spirits: Mononogatari ep 12 (complete)
Afraid.
An interesting supernatural show with a sprinkle of romance. There's a lot of different factions and characters who revolve around the central couple and have their own relationships with each other. I couldn't tell you any of their names (apart from the central 2), but the character designs are quite distinctive as are the personalities, so you remember where they stand in the grand scheme of things. Good to see a second season.
Already mentioned the designs, but whilst they were good for the most part the eyes sometimes were "off". The animation was pretty good for the most part too.
8/10

BOFURI
s2 e9
Death trap.

Campfire Cooking in Another World with My Absurd Skills episode 12 Pickled. (Complete. This was a pleasant watch that I’d like another season for.) 3.5/5

The File of Young Kindaichi Returns
episodes 24-25 & The File of Young Kindaichi Returns 2nd Season episodes 26-37

Chillin' in My 30s after Getting Fired from the Demon King's Army (Japanese audio) - Episodes 9-10
Tomo-chan is a Girl (Japanese audio) - Episode 13 (Completed)
TRIGUN STAMPEDE (Japanese audio) - Episodes 7-8

Adventurer's Who Don't Believe in Humanity Will Save the World (English Dub) Episode 10

BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense Season 2 (English Dub) Episode 20

Campfire Cooking in Another World with My Absurd Skills Episode 12 (Complete. A pleasant fantasy outing for which I would definitely welcome a second season.) 3.5/5

BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense Season 2
Episode 22 Teamed up.

My Life as Inukai-san's Dog OVA 1 Pool episode.

Tomo-chan is a Girl! Episode 13 Date and desires. (Complete. A fun romantic-comedy with a likeable cast which finishes on a high note with it's satisfying conclusion.) 3.5/5

BOFURI: I Don’t Want to Get Hurt, So I’ll Max Out My Defence Season 2 episode 22 Easier fight.

Bungou Stray Dogs 4th Season episode 50 Persuade. (Complete. Another very good season for the series and the fifth is just a few months away which is nice to see.) 4/5

Tomo-Chan Is a Girl!
episode 13 In your room. (Complete. One of my favourite romance comedies to come in recent years.) 4/5

Tsurune -The Linking Shot-
episode 26 Ceremony. (Complete. I enjoyed this season more than the first, hope we get a third in time.) 4/5

The File of Young Kindaichi Returns 2nd Season
episodes 38-47 & special (Complete. A solid continuation considering the amount of time that passed between this and the initial anime.) 3.5/5

Kaina of the Great Snow Sea eps 10 & 11 (complete)
Blood lust and Deus Ex Machina.
A bit like The Fire Hunter it had an interesting yet slightly dumb premise centred on, a possible, post apocalypse Earth (unless when using Japanese as an ancient lost language was just laziness and they couldn't be bothered making a made up language). The world is dominated by a sea, hence the title, and people struggle clinging to the bases of large trees and water is scarce! This is the dumb part as water is everywhere! Unless I missed the part where it's actually poisonous or something (the "snow" doesn't actually look like snow, but giant balls (maybe spores/terrible CG) that sit on top of the water), they seem technically advanced enough to have worked out desalination by now.
Anyway with that set up the initial episodes were a bit dull and then the latter ones got a bit more interesting exploring other aspects of the world and then it got super dumb in the last 2 introducing a mech (initial it seemed controlled from within by the bats**t insane bad guy, but no it was remotely from him using a helmet), a supernatural entity, and a hand laser producing a beam the Death Star would be proud of! Where'd this "ancient" tech get its power from?! Also most of the cast started making dumb decisions! It also felt a little rushed at the end, but at least had an end. Or so I thought, as apparently there's a follow up film.
Art and animation wise the CG was pretty good in some parts, the people looked pretty good especially the main cast had good designs, although the background crowds all looked similar to one another. But other parts were terrible, like the creatures the good guys rode on were ugly in the extreme.
6/10
Unlike The Fire Hunter I don't think the extra story will add enough to up the score here.

Buddy Daddies ep 9
Sports day.
This seems to be another show that suffered production problems? MAL says it's finished with 12 episodes and has the recap (8.5 on Crunchyroll) as a separate thing, but Crunchyroll only goes up to 11? I guess 12 will be later?

Tomo-chan is a Girl ep 13 (complete)
Obstacle.
This was a very funny rom-com with each of the 3 main girls, Tomo and her 2 besties, being hilarious in any combination. The male MC was definitely more of the straight guy here, but likeable enough.
The designs of the 3 girls were good too, but the art in general was only OK. The animation was pretty good though.
8/10
Always weird that I can write at length about stuff I didn't like as much, but can't always point out everything that makes stuff I like good! They just are!

2023-03-30_1.png

Handyman Saitou in Another World (Japanese audio) - Episodes 9-10
TRIGUN STAMPEDE (Japanese audio) - Episodes 9-12 (Completed)

Campfire Cooking in Another World With My Absurd Skill episode - complete, absolutely love this series. Roll on season 2
Princess Jellyfish - all episodes, a pleasant surprise
Cardcaptor Sakura - watched all eps for Series 1 & 2 and eps 1 - 11 for Series 3 - it's OK, it's enjoyable for most parts

Spy Classroom episode 12 Fill the time. (Complete. Though a fun concept I felt that some arcs worked better than others.) 3/5

The Garden of Sinners Chapter 1: Overlooking View (Film)
, The Garden of Sinners Chapter 2: A Study in Murder Part 1 (Film), The Garden of Sinners Chapter 3: Remaining Sense of Pain (Film), & The Garden of Sinners Chapter 4: The Hollow Shrine (Film)

Urusei Yatsura ep 18
Crazy concoctions.

My Life as Inukai-san's Dog eps 10-12 (uncensored) (complete) & OVA ep 1 (uncensored)
Cafe and some actual plot. OVA = Swimsuit edition.
Peak cultured trash?! Nah, I've definitely seen better ecchi stuff, some scenes were a bit weird and what little plot there was, was dumb and didn't amount to much.
Art and animation were pretty good.
5/10

Giant Beasts of Ars
eps 10-12 (complete)
The end?
Another original anime that had an ending, but still has more to say. Kaina at least felt like you don't really need to see what's next, but this ended on a bit of a cliffhanger and unlike Kaina no announcement of more. The plot meandered for the first 8 or so episodes as it set up the world by the characters going on a journey with occasional scenes of the bigger picture, but then it ramped up and felt a little rushed, like episode 9 the bad guy reveals his plan... then dies in seconds! The characters were fun, but didn't get fleshed out that much apart from the main girl.
Art and animation were pretty good.
6/10

The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten
eps 11 & 12 (complete)
Ear cleaning and courage.
A slow burn romance story about 2 awkward people with scars from the past learning to trust each other and themselves. There wasn't actually too much drama and there were a few laughs, but you can tell it was a LN adaptation as there was a lot of sitting around talking.
Art was fairly standard and the animation fine, like I said not much to go on.
6/10

BOFURI
s2 e10
New combos.

RRR

I started rewatching this one again; just like my first viewing, it's absolutely fantastic, also like my first viewing, I started watching too late and therefore had to put it on hold after the dance scene to pick up again the next day; a few things that did not make a great deal of sense to me the first time made perfect sense the second time and knowing the twist 2 thirds of the way through gives a whole new perspective to the earlier scenes; also RRR is basically one of the best live action films in recent years, highly recommended.

Chillin' in My 30s after Getting Fired from the Demon King's Army (Japanese audio) - Episodes 11-12 (Completed)
Handyman Saitou in Another World (Japanese audio) - Episodes 11-12 (Completed)

Back