Your viewing journal

Alice & Zoroku episodes 6-12 (Complete)

Dr Stone: Stone Wars
episode 7

Hensuki episodes 1-4

My Hero Academia Season 5 episodes 4-5

The Misfit of Demon King Academy episodes 12-13 (Complete)

The Quintessential Quintuplets Season 2 episode 5

Vlad Love ep9

I quite enjoy it when the show is just Oshii telling you about stuff he likes. I'd never have recognised that the entire episode was a reference to a surrealist manga from the 60s if the show hadn't flat out told the audience at the end, but now that they've brought it up, I'd be interested in reading what they're referencing.

86 EIGHTY-SIX episode 3 Fear and failure.

Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro episode 3 Rain and rivals.

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level episode 3 Elf in need.

My Hero Academia Fifth Season episode 93 Next match.

Shadows House episode 3 Sickness.

Vivy -Fluorite Eye’s Song- episode 5 Infiltrate.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun Season 2 episode 2 Council.

Ah My Goddess!: Flights of Fancy episodes 16-22 & Specials (Complete. A solid second season that upped the demon vs goddess antics.) 3.5/5

Ai Yori Aoshi episodes 1-12

Memories of Murder
3rd film from the Bong Joon Ho collection I've watched. Excellent crime drama. Dont want to say much given the genre but definitely worth watching.
love this movie, it’s my fave world cinema film. My wife can’t stand subtitles but even she loved it.

Horimiya (English Dub) Episode 11

My Hero Academia Season 5 (English Dub) Episode 3

86 EIGHTY-SIX Episode 3 Friction.

Battle Athletes Victory ReSTART! Episode 3 Training.

Don't Toy with Me, Miss Nagatoro Episode 3 Soaked and rivalry.

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level Episode 3 Desperate Elf.

My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 5 Second match.

Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song Episode 5 Infiltration.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun 2nd Season Episode 25 Recruited.

Kill la Kill 5-25 - More my style over Wolf's Rain. Instead of forcing myself to see the next episode, I was forcing myself to go to bed after watching an entire disc lol. Trigger excel at nonsensical plots that are just fun to watch.

Kill la Kill 5-25 - More my style over Wolf's Rain. Instead of forcing myself to see the next episode, I was forcing myself to go to bed after watching an entire disc lol. Trigger excel at nonsensical plots that are just fun to watch.
I Liked your post, Vincent, but it just didn't feel like it was enough. Because of that, I thought I'd try...

👍💥❗

... a Super-Like. How about it?

Violet Evergarden
Magnificent series. And super emotional. I cried several times and watching the whole show in one day was quite the experience.

Chidori RSC
This was exceptional. Girls with guns version of K-on. Charming, gentle, funny and endearing. Absolutely loved it.

And some live action stuff

252 Sign of Life
A tropey disaster film shouldn't be this emotional. Maybe it's because I watched it right after Violet Evergarden but it left me a wreck. Lol.

The Host
Another great Bong Joon Ho film. Was consistently not what I was expecting. But it was gripping throughout.

Also meant to add the other day that Falcon and the Winter Soldier was amazing. Along with WandaVision phase 4 of the MCU has gotten off to a great start.

I love Satsuki and her relationship with her little elite friend club and I liked how things ramped up at the end but the school tour thing they got going on in the middle kills the momentum in a considerable way.

I liked it overall, but it wasn't until my third try that I got past that arc, thought I'd never finish the series like, damn.

Also, I find it funny how well they generally hide the fact that it's shockingly low budget. I found myself staring at some of the scenes thinking "that's... a still frame with a - REAL FAST AND HIGH IMPACT lines and screen shaking- thinglol" and it defitinitely helps but you can still see through it.

Looking forward to Imaishi's next show.

Edit: ALSO can anyone tell me if Panty and Stocking is any good?

Also, I find it funny how well they generally hide the fact that it's shockingly low budget. I found myself staring at some of the scenes thinking "that's... a still frame with a - REAL FAST AND HIGH IMPACT lines and screen shaking- thinglol" and it defitinitely helps but you can still see through it.
I've never heard of Kill la Kill having a particularly low budget. IIRC Trigger used a lot of moments like that more for comedy effect rather than to hide budget issues. The series may have also been under a strict time schedule and so may have used shortcuts in the production. I've found it's pretty difficult to judge a series budget based on visuals especially when ufotable of all studios has pretty standard budget for their series.

the school tour thing they got going on in the middle kills the momentum
It kinda does, actually. It's strange, because I do actually still like that bit, and yet... I can't help but agree with what you say.

ALSO can anyone tell me if Panty and Stocking is any good?
It is, yeah. But just that: good. I wouldn't go as far as great.

The thing with Imaishi is that the things he's written as well as directed tend to be pretty puerile in content. You'll know what to expect if you've ever seen Dead Leaves.

It's his regular Trigger co-conspirator Kazuki Nakashima who's the one that brings that much-needed touch of class to proceedings! 😛

I've never heard of Kill la Kill having a particularly low budget. IIRC Trigger used a lot of moments like that more for comedy effect rather than to hide budget issues. The series may have also been under a strict time schedule and so may have used shortcuts in the production. I've found it's pretty difficult to judge a series budget based on visuals especially when ufotable of all studios has pretty standard budget for their series.

Neither have I but I'm not referring to comedic shots, I'm talking about some action sequences, actually. I think it's not much of a leap to assume that the producers would settle for cuts with less drawings thanks in part, but not exclusively to a lower budget, making scenes feel less fluid than expected out of such a high profile series.

Maybe it was standard budget, some scenes lead me to believe otherwise and that's OK too. It wasn't a criticism and animators in Japan are hellishly exploited as is for **** pay, so I'm all for the betterment of their conditions.

@Neil.T

Alright the Dead Leaves comparison helps, thank you. I'll try to watch an episode to see how I feel about it but I didn't think DL was all that good...

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither have I but I'm not referring to comedic shots, I'm talking about some action sequences, actually. I think it's not much of a leap to assume that the producers would settle for cuts with less drawings thanks in part, but not exclusively to a lower budget, making scenes feel less fluid than expected out of such a high profile series.
Probably the best comparison is Studio WIT's Attack on Titan. That series had plenty of action scenes that used still frames especially towards the end of production and during scenes featuring the Armoured Titan. The Armoured Titan is notoriously difficult to animate and with little time to work on the episodes they opted to use still frames. Episode 12 of season 2 in particular had 4 episode directors, 3 chief animation directors, 9 animation directors and many more assistant animation directors all for an episode that didn't move much because the schedule was that bad.

I follow a few people on Twitter who are pretty deep in production knowledge and the common consensus is that any issues or corners cut in production almost always result from a poor schedule.

Sorry if it seems I was picking a fight with you. I just wanted to explain how that it would be very unusual for the budget to be the cause of still frames. There's a lot of people who spread misinformation these days about how different shows have poor or excellent budgets while ignoring the production circumstances.

Probably the best comparison is Studio WIT's Attack on Titan. That series had plenty of action scenes that used still frames especially towards the end of production and during scenes featuring the Armoured Titan. The Armoured Titan is notoriously difficult to animate and with little time to work on the episodes they opted to use still frames. Episode 12 of season 2 in particular had 4 episode directors, 3 chief animation directors, 9 animation directors and many more assistant animation directors all for an episode that didn't move much because the schedule was that bad.

I follow a few people on Twitter who are pretty deep in production knowledge and the common consensus is that any issues or corners cut in production almost always result from a poor schedule.

Sorry if it seems I was picking a fight with you. I just wanted to explain how that it would be very unusual for the budget to be the cause of still frames. There's a lot of people who spread misinformation these days about how different shows have poor or excellent budgets while ignoring the production circumstances.

Don't worry, I'm OK with being wrong and I'm always up for learning! I was only talking of my perception of things, so yeah, if I'm wrong that's OK, too.

Science Saru's adaptation of Eizouken was actually a very interesting watch considering the production side of things. I know it's not a documentary but you get some idea of how things work and you get the feeling some of the situations presented definitely mirror some of the team's/creator's personal experiences.

About Attack on Titan, yeah, that's an infamous production exactly because of the example you mentioned. I remember reading about an episode having a thousand directors too, making the situation untenable in the long term. I think they "dropped" it because they weren't part of the production committee and so weren't getting their fair share of the money generated by the anime.

I'll definitely take the Twitter handles of some of those folks, if they're industry people with public accounts, if you don't mind! The only reason I go on Twitter is that AiR account that breaks anime news and the sakuga gifs account, so at least I would have something more substantial!

Back