Your viewing journal

Heaven’s Design Team Special An unexpected but welcome additional episode.

Yuru Camp△ 2nd Season episode 13 Final stretch. (Complete. The original season was a definite fave for me and this second season delivered exactly what I wanted with more camping goodness and a likeable cast.) 4.5/5

xxxHOLiC
episodes 1-12

KyoAni/Trigger/UfoTable etc are like the Rockstar's/NaughtyDog's of the anime scene. They take their time but you know it will be high quality.

I would disagree with TRIGGER as they are very mixed. The Imaishi stuff is yes top tier but the rest like LWA, Kiznaiver or BNA I would leave. Then again the visuals are always good it’s the story that’s lacking in those three examples

KyoAni/Trigger/UfoTable etc are like the Rockstar's/NaughtyDog's of the anime scene. They take their time but you know it will be high quality.
KyoAni, ufotable and I would say Polygon are certainly exceptions to the rule but I've heard Trigger's conditions aren't anything special. There are studios like Toei, Bibury and Bones which have also done interesting work in some areas but still fall victim to the usual industry troubles.

B: The Succession ep1-3 (English dub)

This does feel a little bit like being thrown in at the deep end, as there’s really no recap of the previous season, and I don’t remember the specifics very clearly, but I’m glad this series came back all the same. There is a faint whiff of Dan Brown novels about the quasi-religious overtone to the main thrust of the plot this time around, but it’s amusing hokum so far.

Vlad Love ep6-7

The Castlevania parody episode is probably the show’s strongest so far, but the one focusing on the cinema club feels quite personal to Oshii, given his well documented interest in indie filmmaking. At times, this series feels a bit like Oshii’s Wind Rises moment; I’m not aware of him considering retirement, but it does feel a little like he wants to have a last hurrah of getting everything he enjoys doing up on screen all at once.

Back Arrow episode 13 Fierce fight.

Burning Kabaddi episode 1 I have little to no knowledge about Kabaddi but this could be entertaining.

SSSS.DYNAZENON episode 1 Gridman ended up leaving me with mixed feelings but will give this a go.

Those Snow White Notes episode 1 Quite a dense opener but I’m intrigued to watch more.

xxxHOLiC episodes 13-24 (Complete. A supernatural anime that I’ve been meaning to watch for a while now.) 3.5/5

Yamada-Kun and the Seven Witches
episodes 1-6

Last edited:
So I'm a Spider, So What? (English Dub) Episode 7

The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter (English Dub) Episode 6

Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina (English Dub) Episode 11

Godzilla: Singular Point Episode 1-2

SSSS.DYNAZENON Episode 1

SSSS.DYNAZENON ep1

Off to a fine start with introducing the characters and giving us a look at the Dynazenon mecha, but I was curious about how they would continue the story after the end of Gridman, and I don't feel much the wiser - feels like the show is playing its cards very close to its chest.

Golden Boy OVA 2 (English dub)

Not quite sure why it's taken me so long to get back to Golden Boy - apparently it's been more than six months since I watched the first episode. I doubt any of the subsequent new characters will leave quite such an impression as Madame President, but I thought the hapless Kintarou's second outing was arguably funnier than the first one, much jollied along by Allison Keith's winning turn as rich but malicious Naoko in the dub.

Horimiya episode 13 Graduation (Complete. A nice romance anime that felt a bit uneven in the latter half when it came to focusing on the main duo but overall was an enjoyable outing. If anything I wish this had adapted more.) 3.5/5

My Hero Academia Fifth Season
episode 90 Familial strain.

Vivy -Fluorite Eye’s Song- episodes 1-2 Quite the intriguing start.

World Trigger 2nd Season episode 89 Match end. (Complete. A decent second season though the main cast took some time to appear. That said the second season delivered some solid battles and I’m looking forward to any future seasons.) 3.5/5

Yamada-Kun and the Seven Witches
episodes 7-12 (Complete. Body-swapping can make for a mixed bag in terms of storytelling but this anime worked fairly well thanks to the supernatural elements.) 3.5/5

Yona of the Dawn
episodes 1-12

Agent Aika OVA 1

I remember seeing Aika's character design on the front of a magazine years ago and I've always been kind of curious about seeing the show ever since, but it's never been something I got around to. First impressions are that it's okay. It has a couple of decent gags, the mechanical designs on the planes and the submarines are nice, and it has an absolute ton of pantsu-related fanservice if you're looking for that, but generally, it's not as much fun as I'd hoped. In terms of style and tone, it reminds me of Burn-Up Excess, and I want to say that was more entertaining, although my memory of it is pretty hazy. This series is very short though and I do like the character art enough to probably see it through.

Going to be taking a break from the new anime season and jump back into the back catalogue of my Blu-rays.

Hyouka (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-3
SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-3

Gurren Lagann eps 7-9

Horimiya ep 13 (complete)
Goodbye to my old self.
The relationship between the titular characters was really sweet and there was plenty of funny moments, but by the end there was probably too many side characters and the only one of those that really stood out was Hori-san's dad who was hilarious.
My usual complaint about rom-coms is that the confession comes way too late, but with this seems to have come too early! We were then left with the relationships between the side characters which mostly didn't go anywhere! So it starts really well and started tailing off towards the end.
Art was slightly different to the usual with a bit of a sketchy look especially with the character designs. The animation was fine as well.
8/10

Just 1 show left to finish in the Winter season.

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 193 Broken.

Combatants Will Be Dispatched! episode 1 A new comedy outing for the season.

Dragon Goes House-Hunting episode 1 Could be a decent fantasy series based on the premise.

Farewell, My Dear Cramer episode 1 Soccer anime time. Liking the story and score so far.

Nomad: Megalo Box 2 episode 1 Quite the bleak opener.

Yona of the Dawn episodes 13-24 (Complete. An engaging fantasy series though the anime itself ends in a way that one would hope leads to another season, but alas this will be another manga to check out eventually.) 4/5

Yusibu: I couldnt become a hero, so I reluctantly decided to get a job.
episodes 1-7

The neighbor couple came over last night for their regular Sunday night anime session, and my mother came downstairs as well to watch along with us - we watched the first half of Violet Evergarden, eps 1-7, because the neighbor guy had not seen the series yet, and his wife wanted him to finally experience it. I know he is definitely familiar with the soundtrack though, as his wife plays the OST CD in her car all the time, haha. This was just the second viewing for her and my mother, but about the 30th viewing for myself, since I've watched along with every single Reaction video on YouTube for Violet Evergarden too, lol.

I dug out my copy of the AU Madman Blu-ray for us to watch up on the big projection screen in my theater, since I didn't really want to break the seal on my Funimation LE box set, with how much it is going for online right now!

Hyouka (Japanese audio) - Episodes 4-6
SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist (Japanese audio) - Episodes 4-6

Redo of Healer eps 11 & 12 (uncensored, complete)
Harem complete, but not his revenge!
Someone described this at the start as a hentai with plot with some of the worst tags turned on: rape, torture and even some vore! And that was at the hand of the "Hero"! The thing is to try and justify his morally repugnant actions they made the villains even more insanely morally repugnant by also adding massacre on top of all the same things the MC had done in his revenge! Which just made the whole thing stupidly OTT. Although once the initial setup was out of the way the sex was mostly vanilla (ignoring the fact that one of his partners was brainwashed into thinking she loved the MC!) until the last 2 episodes which ramped it up again (this is where the vore came in). The thing is they could have done all the same things, but without the MC going as far as rape because he had skills and wit to not need it for his revenge, so it just comes off as very bad male power fantasy.
Art and animation wise, definitely the best hentai I've seen. The vanilla scenes were pretty hot, the other type of action scenes wasn't that great.
5/10

And that's Winter done.

Farewell, My Dear Cramer ep 1
Looks like it'll be quite fun. Nice reference to a real footballer in there. The character designs are weird though, they sort of remind me of Chihayafuru, but the faces are plainer and the eyes are a bit unblinkingly wide. I got used to Chihayafuru in the end though.

Those Snow White Notes ep 1
Well that was a bit all over the place! Jumping around between scenes and then WTF was that ending, seemed like it was from an entirely different anime after a mostly serious episode.

Let's Make a Mug Too ep 1
CGDCT with pottery. Apparently it's a half length show. One of the characters might be a little too energetic for me, but seems it'll be a fun show.

Last edited:
Back