Your viewing journal

Terraformars - Episodes 02-13 (Uncensored)

I don't see why this show is as reviled as it is. Sure it's politically questionable and the first few episodes are awful, but after 2 or 3 episodes it becomes a really enjoyable action horror. It seems oddly character focussed, and bizarrely dignified after the excessive, borderline comedic, levels of gory violence in the second and third episodes. Seriously, the scene were the roach removes a poor guy's head and spine, and then whips the head round using the still-attached spine as a sword to slice people's throats is amazing and hilarious. I'll definitely be watching the second season, whenever that comes out.

Also, can anybody that's seen it or read the manga explain how all of the squads suddenly know there is a traitor (during the last episode) if only the Russians have seen any evidence, and the Russians are on their own?

Last edited by a moderator:
Buzz201 said:
Also, can anybody that's seen it or read the manga explain how all of the squads suddenly know there is a traitor (during the last episode) if only the Russians have seen any evidence, and the Russians are on their own?
Because the only the way the roaches could have got on the ship was with the help of someone and that someone blew the engine so they would have to go into plan delta.
----------------------

Ep 7 of Junjo Romantica 3
Ep 7 of Akagami no Shirayuki-hime

Gemsy-chan said:
Because the only the way the roaches could have got on the ship was with the help of someone and that someone blew the engine so they would have to go into plan delta.

Seems a tad silly that it took the experienced Russian soldiers a day and a large evidence dump to get to the truth, when the two bumbling Mexican-American thugs (Markos and Alex) worked it out using logic...

Conan, the Boy in the Future, episodes 1-8

As a fan of Hayao Miyazaki, I hard recently made it a goal to myself to watch his earliest works in preparation for creating a video biography about his earliest films. One of these, is Conan, which bears no resemblance to Conan the Barbarian. Like Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, this series dating back from 1978 also contains elements of the director's more famous adventure tale Castle in the Sky. In fact, this is even closer to being a Laputa prototype than Nadia ever was. The character designs of the protagonists, for instance, a plucky but super strong boy known as Conan and the gentle, fragile Lana, couldn't be more similar to Pazu and Sheeta. Its storyline echoes similar plot elements, too: an evil army led by a nasty corporal is after the girl's ESP powers and her grandfather to power their endangered city, Industria. In his quest to rescue the cutie, Conan becomes affiliated with a rowdy, cigarette-loving(!) pudgy little fellow named Jimsy and the blustering Captain Dyce. He sneaks a ride on the captain's ship Barracuda, to the point of enduring all sorts of cruel physical punishment. The central villain Lepka is very much a dead ringer for Muska, as well, and furthermore, the strict, no-nonsense Monsley is eerily reminiscent of both Kushana from Nausicaa, Fujiko from Castle of Cagliostro, and, need I say it, Electra from Nadia.

The real appeal of viewing this show is watching how Miyazaki's roots for this kind of exuberant comic adventure with occasionally dark touches took hold. Refreshingly, too, the show, so far, is free of the sometimes overbearing angst of Nadia, making this a much more pleasant experience. The saddest thing about the show is that it isn't dubbed. So, naturally, I had no choice but to watch it subtitled. Mostly with the sound off. Even so, I found myself captivated from the start. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this show, and I hope one day it will get an official English release and have a dubbed version, especially since Miyazaki-san's popularity in the west has gradually increased over the past decade.

Watched My Love Story/Ore Monogatari Episode 20.

Saijou re-appeared, yay! For about four seconds, aww.

I think one of the strengths of this show, at least for me, is the way it balances showing things and talking about them. Takeo spends a lot of time narrating and thinking and it's always interesting and/or fun. Some shows have a habit of using characters talking about things as a way to avoid having to show them but here the commentary adds to what we do see unfolding on the screen.

One of the themes the show often deals with is the way that people's actions (or even words) don't always represent how they really feel so it's interesting to see how Takeo interprets things. We also get to see the difference between what Takeo is thinking and what he actually does, as well as him thinking about if he's made the right choice. I think the show would be worse off if we didn't have that aspect. Plus, I suppose it makes sense that we hear things from Takeo's perspective since it's kind of his story.

This particular episode dealt a fair bit with expectations and perceptions. Takeo doesn't want to pressure Yamato but at the same time he's really hoping to get something for Valentine's Day. It's tough for him to decide how he should act and the signals he gets from Yamato don't really tell him anything (especially since she's basically acting normally). Takeo's friends and Yamato's friends also have their own ideas about what they'd like to do.

Everyone has different expectations and they don't necessarily understand each other but even so they can still manage to affect each other even in ways they didn't consider. The whole things comes together very well.

Sunakawa is a particularly interesting case in this episode. His part is very understated but throughout he's something of an odd one out compared to everyone else. He's used to getting a lot of chocolate on Valentine's Day and as a result he doesn't think much of it. It's pretty much a normal day for him and yet there's a certain loneliness about him, maybe even that he'd like it to be special but can't understand how it could be. The episode handles it very well in a way that says a lot without really having to say much at all.

On a related note, it looks like the next episode will probably be about Sunakawa and there may also be a new character. It's going to be very interesting to see what develops, I'm looking forward to it.

Speaking of awesome things, I also watched Non Non Biyori Repeat Episode 7.

If I have one complaint about Non Non Biyori, it's that all of the characters are awesome. Wait, that's not really a complaint is it. Well anyway, the problem is that all of these awesome characters mean there's not really enough time to spend with each. I know there are still a fair few episodes left but I'm already thinking it won't be enough (though I wonder if there ever really could be enough).

So this episode was mostly about Hotarun, partly about Ren-chon and surprisingly also about Hika-nee. The three make a great team in this episode. To be fair, Renge seems to be able to work with anyone to produce a good laugh but there's more than just that going on too.

The story is solid and while some of it may be expected I think the journey itself is well worth it. It's kind of amazing the way this show can take some minor event or even a shot of the background and still manage to squeeze something significant out of it. If the way the show does things works for you it can be really rewarding.

I did like the reference to the first season OP, too.

Overall, a really great episode. Thinking about it, I suppose I kind of expect every episode to be awesome and yet somehow I still end up surprised at how much I enjoy them. I hope that keeps up.

Yu-Gi-Oh GX-Episode 16 (On Hold)

And now to wait until CR fancies putting up more episodes.

Hunter x Hunter-Episode 79

A pink, talking Koala wearing a suit and tie is a villain I can get behind.

Gatchman Crowds - Episode 01

The entire execution of this show is so weird, and so deliberately contrary, that if I didn't know otherwise, I would have probably taken it as some kind of very dry Japanese comedy. Large parts of it could probably be used scene for scene in a parody of the genre, and despite this fact, it seems hellbent on playing the entire thing as straight as it possibly can.

People went on about this show as if it was some kind of future classic, and based on the first episode alone, I just don't see it. I don't see how it gained it's reputation for being philosophical and interesting. I don't see it how it can be so ridiculous and so silly and so campy, and yet insist on playing itself so unflinchingly straight.

I just feel like maybe I'm missing something with regards to this show, and I've no idea if I'll last another episode of that absolute pap to try find out what, but given how highly it seems to be regarded by everyone else, I can only assume it improves greatly...

Gakkou Gurashi (School Live)-Episode 7

Did anyone else notice that all instances of Megu-nee in the opening were changed? Like, they replaced a shot of her with a shot of her grave. Man, this show. It's seriously starting to transition from best show of the season to legitimately one of my favourite shows.

Hunter x Hunter-Episodes 80-84

Episode 80: I really liked the aesthetic of the first half of the episode with the stylised black and white look. I just hope that Gyro makes a return so that all that backstory wasn't for naught. I mean, in the episode you don't even see him, he's just kind of gone. Also, Ponzu's death was pretty shocking. Completely out of left field. I'm pretty disappointed to be honest, she didn't get to do a whole lot in the Hunter Licence arc so I had hoped that this arc would be her time to shine. I guess not. Hell, I wouldn't have minded if she was eaten by the queen and we got some kind of Ponzu chimera ant.That would have been cool. Oh well.

Episode 81: Hina is the cutest ant I have ever seen in my entire life.

Episode 82: This episode brought up a good point. Why did Kite choose a slot machine ability? That seems like it would be very detrimental in a fight...

Episode 83: That. Scythe.

Episode 84: Ah, the inevitable cat girl ant. It's about damn time too. Although she is an evil and sadistic cat girl, I'll still take it :p

Buzz201 said:
Gatchman Crowds - Episode 01

People went on about this show as if it was some kind of future classic, and based on the first episode alone, I just don't see it.

You weren't the only one who didn't like it. My enthusiasm for it was so great that I actually chucked it before the end of episode 1, which I think is a personal best. The exact details escape me now, but whatever I was expecting from it was certainly not what the show was delivering.

I think Conan had a similar experience with it too.

Yeah, Gatchaman Crowds is a weird one - I know some people who absolutely rave about it, and others that absolutely loathe it. I guess I fell kind of in between when I watched the first series - I thought it did some really interesting things visually and in terms of themes, engaging with political and societal issues in a way few other modern anime have, bar something like Eden of the East. That said, it can come across a little preachy at times, and the characters are very love/hate too.

I watched Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episodes 1-4.

I like that each episode has a note as to if it's a "Stand Alone" episode or a "Complex" episode. I'd say that some of the stand alone episodes can be kind of complex too though.

It seems to have a pretty good mix of detective work, sci-fi and big ideas. The characters are great too, so far.

I'm not sure who came up with idea of having a weird comedy sketch at the end of each episode featuring the Tachikomas but it was either insane or genius. Most likely both.

I think the highlight of the four episodes was the conversation Batou and Togusa have about nostalgia for "old machines". Those two are a great team (maybe even better here than in Innocence).

It's interesting that the show doesn't really go out of it's way to explain the concepts and technology, I don't think there's been a single "as you know" conversation or anything along those lines. I haven't had a problem with it, although I wonder if someone that was new to sci-fi might (plus, I've seen the movies so that probably helps). It's also possible that they're just doing a good job of telling you what you need to know without being blatant about it.

I'm enjoying this one quite a lot. I guess I expected to but I'm glad that it hasn't disappointed.

Back