Your viewing journal

I've just started watching a bit more of Victory Gundam, I've lost touch with it though so I hope I can follow it again without having to restart it.

Finished: Sora no Woto.

Now, I'd buy it, but in my book it gets a biased 6/10, or 7/10 otherwise.
It was quite fun to watch the girls do this and that. But that was pretty much it.
Even though the anime was character driven they left aside much of the character development till really late.
They gave the bare minimum of the characters' past, just enough to tell what old wound had to be cured (and that seemed to be pretty much what it was about). But because they at least completed what they sailed out to do it gets a positive rating from me.

Now, my real problem with the show was that it kept trying to be cute but failed. Besides the slow pace.

Fun fact: I started watching it when it first came out on CR. That was hard to get by...

Caught up to episode 10 of UraBoku. Show is less gay than it might have been, so I've stuck with it. Kind of interesting story and it's J.C.Staff, so yeah.

Kei-kun said:
Finished: Sora no Woto.

Now, my real problem with the show was that it kept trying to be cute
Did it though? I thought it was deceptively serious, overall, although it did have its moments of trying too hard for the cuteness.

Yes, I did noticed many serious moments, but the problem was the series' incapability of blending both together, rather, it succeeded with the serious stuff but failed with the cutesy stuff. Basically, anything that happened between the scenes relevant to the plot bored me.
When rating something I usually weight the overall, not just what I liked (and this my good sir, is something Clannad's fans can't do).
Which means something bad + something good = decent. And that's what happened here. 6/10 is what I'd call decent/ordinary.
Now, what really made me move my biased rating 1 point lower was because they left my favourite character for the last episode and rushed through her background trying to achieve a single touching moment. That after they had plenty of time to do it before, but wasted that time with little clumsy adventures within the city.

I believe I got the wrong thread when I posted that.

My Bride is a Mermaid (Seto no Hanayome) 1-7

A boy is saved from drowning by a mermaid. Said mermaid also happens to be the daughter of a Yakuza boss. Said Yakuza boss wants to kill the boy first for discovering the family's secret, then for marrying his daughter. Hilarity ensues.

While I knew this show was a comedy, I wasn't quite expecting it to be so loud and spazzy. Its style of comedy reminds me of Abenobashi, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Romantic development between the two leads is confined to the odd cheesy scene towards the end of an episode, and while it seems a bit of of place when everything else is played for laughs, I'm okay with that.

My only concern at the moment is whether the show can sustain the laughs over 26 episodes. But it's great stuff so far.

Mitsudomoe's first episode was actually really good, I'm surprised I liked it as much as I did, much better than Ookami whatever, the narrator killed that series.

I'm watching Sora no Woto right now myself and I've yet to really encounter it trying to hard to be "cute" I'm only five episodes though.

Reevothemusefan said:
MONONOKE said:
Ookami-san episode 3

Another great episode, I was laughing lots during the episode and I loved it when it made a reference to Zero no Tsukaima as some of the characters cosplayed as Louise,Siesta and Henrietta ^_^

and I have also rewatched Shana episodes 5-8

Agreed that it was a good episode.

Yeah that reference took me a while to figure out, I thought "Man I swear i've seen that castle background in an anime before" then of course it was Zero no Tsukaima

Awesome :) lol I noticed it away as I recognised the staff that Otohime was holding was Henrietta's

Today

Highschool of the dead episode 3

and I have rewatched Shana episodes 9-12

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought ep 2 of Ookami-san was a bit of a step down from the first - I didn't think they ran very far with the concept behind the episode - but ep 3 was very entertaining. I also want to say that it had a very strong "see what you can make of yourself if you try" message, rather than a more worrying "all girls need to be stick figures" one.

Amagami ep 3 - hilarity as well as actual emotional progression, can feel that it's going to be hard to choose a favorite girl by the end of this show.

DenYuuDen ep 3 - probably my favorite Japanese high fantasy/sword and sorcery series of all time (usually Japanese treatments of the genre fail hard in comparison to Western ones imo, but having read the first 3 LNs of this I love it), and I'm liking the anime so far.

Mitsudomoe ep 2 - er, the first half was not exactly to my taste. Second half was back to being awesome, though.

Occult Academy ep 2 - think I might have mentioned this already, but this series is really entertaining. Absolutely in love with Maya, the animation is great (especially facial expressions), and the concept has potential. Makes an amazingly diverse trio with SoraWoto and Senkou no Night Raid.

Nurarihyon no Mago ep 2 - Best new series in Jump for years, can't really muck this up too bad.

Shiki ep 2 - oh yes, absolutely loving this. The setting might not be the most original, but it has atmosphere for days and I loved episode 2's approach to building up the story without actually talking about the people in the mansion.

Asobi ni Iku yo! ep 1 - Hahahahahaha, this is crazy. Not just a little crazy, totally and utterly crazy. Could be this season's Kampfer, if that makes any sense or is in any way a legitimate thing to say.

Mitsudomoe ep 3 - Oh. My. God! Utterly hilarious, especially given the fairly standard central gag of "it's a misunderstanding".

Also, seiyuu overload on the new girls, which was kind of awesome.

Cat **** One ep 1 - I don't like to swear on this forum, but this is the **********ing greatest work of fiction ever produced by mankind. Instant character depth, fantastic action, great animation, well used score (albeit not massively original). This needs to be turned into a video game (you know, apart from MGS4) NOW. Bunnies with guns. It's the future.

Asobi ni Iku yo! ep 2 - they totally blew their load in the first two episodes, bit worried that it will be more predictable from now on, but that didn't stop these two eps from being weirdly entertaining.

Occult Academy ep 3 - booooo to the relative lack of Maya, but the show retains its quirky charm and is still threatening to make really good use of its premise.

Seitokai Yakuin-domo ep 1 - Errrrr oooooookay. I guess you could say that the episode stays "on message" pretty well, and there is certainly a valid branch of comedy where making constant jokes along the same theme becomes part of the joke itself, but this is probably the weakest ep 1 of the season, for me. Probably doesn't help that the premise is relatively close to that of the absolutely outstanding (and still running) Kaichou ha Maid-sama!.

Giant Killing ep 16 - yeah, you have to love Sera. You've all played on a team with a guy like him, and you can't help but feel for him atm. This is still way better than I thought a "serious" soccer anime was going to be in this day and age.

Back