Your viewing journal

I'm beginning to think that rather than viewing Diebuster straight after Gunbuster, people would be better off watching a range of Gainax shows which fall between the two chronologically first (bit of a tall order, I know). That would slowly acclimatise people to the change in style, rather than the shock to the system it can be otherwise.

However, if you've already seen Eva, FLCL and Abenobashi, you're probably good to go. Just remember it's going to be closer in feeling to the newer rather than the older stuff.

I assumed there would be a huge difference in styles from the dates. Mite put it off for a while and watch some more 80's anime anyway. Watched my Patlabor Movies at the weekend too and now I've got a taste for some golden oldies. If you have any epic 80's in mind that I haven't seen, I'll gladly look into them.

Marathoned a fair bit of FMA Brotherhood last night. Watched 22-29. Nearly caught up now, so will do so today. I see what everyone means about Envy's true form being ugly, the CG does it no justice. Overall though i'm pretty darn impressed with it. Yes its had moments where i think...meh, but overall its working quite well.

Also planned for tonight:

Berserk volume 6
FMP rewatch(v.1) <-- there are reasons for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've dropped FMA brotherhood **** sux not sure whether to endure the final episode I downloaded or just delete it, I saw on MAL even the idiots giving it 10/10 saw the light after the how the Ishbal Massacre got butchered.

Oh and I saw Sword of the Stranger last night, it was great, but just didn't hit me like I wanted it to, it just didn't give me that feeling of excitement or make think "Holyshit this is epic" I'd still give it 8/10 for the music and fight scenes alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching a nonsensical anime like Gunbuster 2 at a different time wouldn't improve anything. I don't even rate its 'prequel' highly and I still disliked it.

Completed Please Teacher, liked it a lot more after the very poor, hentai-ish start. There was some good romance/drama on show, and the OVA finish was highly amusing.

Started Please Twins, up to the ninth episode. I like it a lot more than Please Teacher; the lack of aliens and the lead not being a pathetic, 'should be bullied and not chased after by hotties' character makes it a lot better than Teacher. The premise is also kind of unusual/unique in my eyes, which helps. It might even get a nine from me.

Aion said:
I don't even rate its 'prequel' highly and I still disliked it.
Probably because the lead didn't have a special Yu-Gi-Oh power and fights in a mech against someone dominating a country. I mean you gave it an 8/10 and that according to you puts it on par with a Bleach movie... holyshit.

Also watched Blood: The Last Vampire today, first time seeing it, I've heard mixed opinions about it but I honestly liked it, what I didn't like was lack of clarity as to why she was killing them.

Also watched Queen's Blade and Blue Literature, Queen's Blade is trying to have a good story now, it's really trying, I'm sorry, but it just can't do it. Blue Literature I also enjoyed, I could actually relate to the character and he wasn't totally unrealistic unlike half of the characters Obata designs. Started the second short story and I realized... Kubo should just stop working on Bleach and do character designs, his story-telling is horrible but his character designs are tight.

The way you worded that, you'd think Gunbuster has depth and wasn't aimed at younger people, with robots, simplistic dialogue, a touch of a fan service and a daft ending.

I have no issue with people who like the first Gunbuster, and I can see why, but both Bleach and it are shallow. The second and third Bleach movies are entertaining, Gunbuster is entertaining. Gunbuster has its classic status on its side but it's hardly anything special when you take away the fact it was Gainax's first (iirc) hit.

KIDDY GiRL-AND 6
To Aru Kagaku no Railgun 8

--

Both of these shows are going from strength to strength, but Railgun is getting properly good now, in a "really can't wait for the next episode" kind of way.

Genshiken 2 Volume 2. More great Otaku (in)action. The characters are now going through that stage most school and Uni clubs go through where long term members will be leaving (or will they) due to graduation. Do they cut ties or become hangers on.

Finished Blood+ Part 2. Overall I enjoyed the show with its decent mix of story and action. But several time and place jumps in these episodes, usually at the beginning of an episode without warning, made it difficult to follow at times. I was not always sold on the animation style, but at least it has its own style unlike so many carbon copy character designs. One thing that scores with me is that the show is not afraid to kill characters and keep them dead.

Dragonauts Part 1. I really found myself enjoying this show more than I expected. The story is okay but probably not going to win any awards coasting along as it does. The characters all seem to have a their own personalities and reasons for being, also they manage to not all be one dimensional. The things that bring it down for me though are the overly obvious CGI of the dragons, and the bizarre boobage of several well (overly) endowed female characters.

Back