Your viewing journal

Had an urge to do a your half way through, get it finished so over the last few days
The Dawn of the Witch
Episodes 7-12.

Meh, not terribly exciting, not very funny.
I think what kept me going was working out where I had heard the VA for Zero.
Finally decided and confirmed the male MC from Reincarnation of the Strongest Exorcist.
At least I know I won't regret selling it.

Astro Note ep1-3

Kind of on the fence about this one; there’s nothing particularly wrong with it, but I feel like it could do with a stronger hook. As a romcom, it’s all just a bit too genteel and mannered for me. As other people have commented, its setup is uncannily similar to Maison Ikkoku (something I also never finished) and I don’t think the sci-fi elements have brought enough to the table for me to stop constantly seeing that. The most interesting thing about it is probably Eisaku Kubonouchi’s character art, which is very distinctive and often gives it the feel of a French co-production rather than a typical anime series.

The Fable ep20-22

While it’s a bad day for poor Kainuma, I think Isaki’s farcical attempts to dispose of his body have done a lot to lighten the mood.

Akiba Maid War episodes 10-12: And so the violence continues. I'm not sure which I found more gross, the senseless shootings or the cutesy maid stuff. The ending theme was very reminiscent of the songs of Meiko Kaiji in Lady Snowblood and her other excellent movies.

Sorry to hear you didn’t like it, most people I’ve heard mention Maid War seemed to enjoy it, although generally I think those people did have some idea of what to expect from it. I appreciated how much the show committed to its ridiculous concept, but I think maybe it didn’t always have to stick so rigidly to the tropes of 70s yakuza movies, we’ve come a long way since then.

Last night on Blu-ray, episodes 5-9 of Maria-Logic: Season 2. I have to say that episode 9 has to be the worst of the series. But overall, can't tell you how many times Kanako has said over the course of the show "Dear Mother in Heaven."

Wan Wan Chuushingura

These Toei films from the 60s really leaned on the Disney / Looney Tunes style at times and this one is no exception but I love the way they have an edge to them that makes them really distinctive. The film was was quite predictable and wasn't particularly original, not even for the time of its release but I really liked Wan Wan Chuushingura, it just flowed well and had good drama and character stories plus it was nicely animated (and looked good in HD).

The Green Cat

A typically odd Osamu Tezuka short film based on one his manga but having said that it was actually a quite entertaining and had a tight story for it's short run time.

High Speed Etoile - Episodes 9 - 12 [Final]

This was terrible; dull, predictable, horribly animated and just annoyingly stupid at times. A real low point of the racing genre.

Terminator Zero eps 1-8 (dub) (complete)
An interesting take on the Terminator franchise. A scientist who is trying to make an AI to rival Skynet is the target rather than a future leader of the resistance and the Terminator and the future soldier seem to have basically the same target, but for different reasons. Some cool action and a great score, but as @Dai said not the best characters, 3 whiny children, a neglectent father, a blank slate house maid and the future soldier was a wannabe Revy, but seemed to be mostly all mouth and was saved by plot armour early on. There were plenty of twists, although two were revealed right near the end and trod on each other as revealed in quick succession. I didn't see those coming though, some I did and one I should have, but because I misremembered Miles' name as Malcolm, I was thinking it was the same character, but from a timeline where he survived the events of T2 and thus why he knew Judgement Day was coming!
There were plenty, maybe too many, nods to the first two films. Every episode there was "I remember that bit" or a "that's a bit like that bit".
The art and animation were pretty good apart from some occasional bad CG. I was reminded of GitS and especially The Second Renaissance parts 1 & 2 from The Animatrix on occasion.
7/10

Last edited:
Ayla Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian episode 11 Special guest.

My Deer Friend Nokotan episode 11 Hunted.

Oshi no Ko 2nd Season episode 22 Music video.

Sengoku Youko 2nd Season episode 22 Delinquent.

The Strongest Magician in the Demon Lord’s Army Was a Human episode 12 In awe. (Complete. An unexceptional fantasy outing for the season that didn’t leave much of an impact but also offered enough that I didn’t dislike it either.) 3/5

To LOVE Ru
episodes 21-26 & OVAs (Complete. I came into this with fairly minimal expectations but it was quite easygoing and fun to watch for most part - the OVAs were a bit more forgettable but hopefully the other seasons can offer something similar otherwise.) 3.5/5, 3/5

Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feeling's in Russian Episode 11

No Longer Allowed in Another World Episode 10

The Magical Girl and the Evil Lieutenant Used to Be Archenemies Episode 10

The Strongest Magician in the Demon Lord's Army was a Human Episode 12 (Complete)

One Piece episodes 5-8:So, Luffy finally has a second crew member after eight episodes. I can see this is going to be stretched out. Still a fun watch and I must thank iPlayer for giving me the opportunity to see it before buying the discs.

Back