Your viewing journal

Blue Eye Samurai ep 1! Wow, that was a pretty great first episode, really great in fact. When I saw the trailer a few weeks ago I was kind of sceptical, but this is shaping up to be a proper good samurai yarn. Could be the anime of 2023. Don't let the CG and American voices put you off!!

Who are these people? Really I think we're long past the point of believing there is some objective scientific definition of what anime is, aren't we? Some people think that anime is all animation made in Japan, and some people think that animation made in Japan without the big anime eyes isn't anime, some people think that animation with the big anime eyes made in the west is anime. Hayao Miyazaki doesn't think his films are anime, but most people on here would probably disagree with him. And then there's the ever increasing cultural cross pollination and collaboration that happens. Anime is just a feeling, a culture, but it's not anything very concrete or specific. I'd say Blue Eye Samurai is anime for me, obviously the creators have been inspired by Japan and definitely anime is a part of that inspiration. But if the best anime of 2023 isn't anime, so be it.

Who are these people? Really I think we're long past the point of believing there is some objective scientific definition of what anime is, aren't we? Some people think that anime is all animation made in Japan, and some people think that animation made in Japan without the big anime eyes isn't anime, some people think that animation with the big anime eyes made in the west is anime. Hayao Miyazaki doesn't think his films are anime, but most people on here would probably disagree with him. And then there's the ever increasing cultural cross pollination and collaboration that happens. Anime is just a feeling, a culture, but it's not anything very concrete or specific. I'd say Blue Eye Samurai is anime for me, obviously the creators have been inspired by Japan and definitely anime is a part of that inspiration. But if the best anime of 2023 isn't anime, so be it.
I... didn't think I'd get such a paragraph of a response. I thought it was obvious my comment was made in jest and didn't warrant such a serious reply. Call it whatever you want man. I really don't care. I simply thought I'd make a light joke is all. I'm sorry that my intent wasn't clear.

I... didn't think I'd get such a paragraph of a response. I thought it was obvious my comment was made in jest and didn't warrant such a serious reply. Call it whatever you want man. I really don't care. I simply thought I'd make a light joke is all. I'm sorry that my intent wasn't clear.
As there are two consecutive posts, I thought they were talking to themselves.

In/Spectre S1
Episodes 7-9
I know when I'm not into something. When I leave the room I don't pause or rewind on return.
Hope it doesn't end on a cliffhanger. 😀
I'm not buying S2. Unless it's £5.

Occultic Nine 1-12
I'm a fan of the science adventure series but somehow missed this one until now. The structure felt like shows like Baccano, Durarara etc, a thing I usually love. I was into it for the first half but the plot became increasingly daft and by the end it just felt messy and All A Bit Silly. Oh yeh and the other "plot" - one of the characters has massive Eiken sized boobs which the animators had a lot of fun bouncing everywhere, but eeeww sorry dawg that ain't my fetish

RahXephon 5-12
this show has such an awesome vibe, they are still not explaining anything but I'm happy to just chill with it and see where it goes

Bullbuster episode 6 Appealing offer.

Heaven’s Official Blessing Season 2 episode 4 Dropping in.

The Eminence in Shadow Season 2 episode 26 Wrong side of the tracks.

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby Season 3 episode 6 Jinx.

Hi☆SCool! Seha Girls episodes 7-13 (Complete. A series of shorts that pack in lots of Sega history amongst some uncanny CGI, with mixed results.) 2.5/5

Holmes of Kyoto (Rewatch)
episodes 1-10

Last edited:
The Eminence in Shadow 2nd Season (English Dub) Episode 26

The Misfit at Demon King Academy II (English Dub) Episode 25 (Complete... for now.)

I'm Giving the Disgraced Noble Lady I Rescued a Crash Course in Naughtiness Episode 5

Your post wasn't in bad taste or anything, I'll take almost any opportunity to write a reply most of the time. Just trying to make conversation that's all. I was even slightly hoping we might all end up in a mostly pointless but not entirely pointless discussion as to what constitutes anime. It's actually an interesting topic in some ways, because in Japan anime just means all animation, so like Wallace and Grommit is anime. You'll often hear Japanese people talking like that, as a western anime fan for a second it's kind of jarring. So the word is pretty amorphous, and geographically particular (like other anime fandom words too), but does have very strong connotations for us all.

Your post wasn't in bad taste or anything, I'll take almost any opportunity to write a reply most of the time. Just trying to make conversation that's all. I was even slightly hoping we might all end up in a mostly pointless but not entirely pointless discussion as to what constitutes anime. It's actually an interesting topic in some ways, because in Japan anime just means all animation, so like Wallace and Grommit is anime. You'll often hear Japanese people talking like that, as a western anime fan for a second it's kind of jarring. So the word is pretty amorphous, and geographically particular (like other anime fandom words too), but does have very strong connotations for us all.
Sorry but I don't really want to talk about this any further. My intention was to make a lighthearted joke. That is all. My part in this discussion is over.

Attack on Titan: The Final Season: The Final Chapters Part 2
Aww Eren thinks he's Lelouch.. What an absolute mess of a series. The first three seasons are still great in my eyes but it went downhill as soon as it introduced Eldia and Marley. The Final Season still provides fantastic action and Yuichiro Hayashi's team did well following from Araki and Koizuka's work at Studio WIT. That said the shoddily handled moral themes and hilariously bad historical parallels just cannot be ignored. It's been a fun trainwreck.

To Loveru Darkness episodes 10-12: they appear to have completely abandoned setting up the "jokes" in favour of just getting straight to the fan service.

The Seed of Blanc Aile (the Eden of Grisaia part 2): Very hard to stop watching this. Excellent story with one of the best ending I can recall. Also, a very Cowboy Bebop moment as JB speaks to Yuji as he goes off on his final mission. Very Spike/Faye farewell.

Ancient Magus' Bride Season 2 (English Dub) Episode 40

Dr. STONE: New World Part 2 Episode 16

My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer Episode 7

The Ancient Magus' Bride Season 2 Part 2 Episode 42

Dr. Stone: New World Part 2 episode 16 Brawl.

Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd Season episode 40 Welcoming.

Rurouni Kenshin (2023) episode 19 Always in the past.

The Ancient Magus’ Bride Season 2 episode 42 Waiting.

Holmes of Kyoto (Rewatch) episodes 11-12 (Complete. This was an enjoyable series to revisit courtesy of Discotek’s limited print run.) 3.5/5

Honey and Clover
episodes 1-11

Last edited:
16-Bit Sensation ep6

Coming back to this series after seeing Komada kind of underscores how much I wish it was a PA Works show. I enjoy it, but terms of its delivery, I think it plays everything weirdly straight - surely they could be doing a lot more to poke fun at the artifice of visual novels themselves. Given the subject matter, it also surprises me that no-one has mentioned Fate yet, even in a roundabout fashion. Maybe if Konoha goes to 2004…

Lupin III: Part 2 ep55-56 (English dub)

Some interesting villains for this two-parter about Lupin encountering a rival gang who style themselves as Kabuki performers, but I don’t think it quite comes together as well as it could in the execution. I’d hazard a guess this was one of Seijun Suzuki’s contributions, going by the slightly off-kilter writing style.

Girls und Panzer Das Finale
Part 2
Princess Principal Crown Handler
Part 1
Enjoyed but not really liking the 6 film idea.

Jujutsu Kaisen S1
Episodes 1-4
This is supposed to be a sharing forum. No-one told me that this has a great mix of supernatural, fights, comedy and cool characters. Shame on all of you. 😡
The part when she went after the guy hassling a woman for modelling. Brilliant.

Back