Your viewing journal

The Boy Who Came Back (Film) An early movie by Seijun Suzuki, focusing on the relationship between a teen delinquent and his "Sister"/carer. This was enjoyable, an well shot as well, subtle touches like leaving the shot still whilst actors move behind sliding doors gave scenes room to breathe. The leads Akira Kobayashi and Hidari Sachiko give great performances as well. Looking forward to checking out the other films in this collection. 3.5/5

Gintama episode 13-22

killing bites 11 - well, I though I know where this was going until Kido gets a sudden backstory at the 11th hour then it kind of pulled some surprises out for the rest of the episode, though half of them were from hitomi, so not really that many surprises. we all lost at "spot the protaganist" it's really rabbit. rabbit is best girl with a full and harrowing backstory. rabbit v cheetah> goku v jiren legit

Decided to start some more on-disc backlog of anime.

Amagami SS (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-4
Fate/Stay Night 2006 (English dub) - Episodes 1-4
The Vision of Escaflowne (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-4

junji ito 12 - a story of nectar and poetic justice and a semi entertaining souichi story. It's the end of this season isn't it? Seems they could have done so much more. I'm expecting a season 2, if only for the amount of content they can cover

Franxx 11 - a more action oriented one this time, once again doing the series favourite thing and focusing on the relationships of the central cast

Claymore (sub) 6-8
6 - they only really special thing to point out is that the bandits sound more like you expect them to, but the mvp here is lig (the banditthat gets his hand cut off) sato really catches the degeneration of this character "Teresa Teresa" sent me absolute shivers! Sato earns this guy the title "uncle bad touch"
7 - Noel and Sophia don't sound that much different (though Noel sounds less like Helen to me) the biggest difference and best change is of course Priscilla, in the dub, I can only describe it as sounding a little like dragon ball super's toppo where you hear their strong sense of justice in their voice, the sub, however, has hisakawa acting in a pretty shallow, naïve tone where Priscilla's inexperience really comes through.
8- mvp here is once again, Priscilla, with how she goes through a monstrous change in this episode. Hisakawa makes a real change going from a shallow tone to an incredibly deep tone (though I still suspect it's done somewhat artificially to deepen the tone)
Then, of course, is the awakening, hisakawa plays it more naturally, sort of puts me in the mind of kira vincent-davis and Lucy. I do like how they've played awakened beings naturally and not layered onto their own voices like in the dub

The Ancient Magus' Bride eps 19-24 (complete)
I liked the wrap up in the final episode, but the second half of the series lost a bit of what I liked about the first half. Also
I thought the whole point of the story was going to be Elias finding a way to ensure Chise would live longer and along the way learn to be a bit more human and gradually fall in love. But Chise (who for someone who is supposed to be frail rushes head long into trouble far too often) seems to be the one that found a way to help herself or rather it found her. Elias has learnt, but the love between them doesn't seem particularly earnt apart from he gave her a home and called her family.
7/10
To anyone who has read the manga, do you think it's better than the anime?

Last edited:
The Ancient Magus Bride (Japanese audio) - Episode 24 (Complete)
Darling in the FRANXX (Japanese audio) - Episode 11
Killing Bites (Japanese audio) - Episode 11

Panzer World Galient - Episodes 21 - 25 [Final]

Review coming at some point in April on the podcast.

Toward The Terra (Movie) (Blu-ray)

Another watch ahead of a review on the Blake and Spencer Get Jumped podcast.

Darling in the FranXX episode 11 Hmm an interesting episode here, the whole dynamic leaves some characters worse off and others who have become disliked by some fans. The second half is definitely going to be interesting. Maybe Mitsuru and Futoshi can get some development now.

Pop Team Epic episode 12 (Complete. A missed opportunity really, half of it works, the other falls a bit flat, but when it worked it was very funny, and the OP was great as well. I wish it was better, since they had some good ideas but I was left pretty meh here. It was average. A shame.) 2.5/5

The Ancient Magus' Bride
episode 24 (Complete. This is an unfortunate case wherein the first half suffered from problems I.e the cliffhanger/quick-resolution motif, but had a stronger second half. The relationship between Elias and Chise was interesting to watch, two essentially broken individuals caring for each other but making rash decisions at times. The villain was kind of underwhelming, but had a decent backstory at least.

Overall, this was a very solid fantasy anime that shone when it could, and though I wish I could say that this very good/great, when factoring in both halves means a slightly lower score. I'll need to rewatch this at some point.) 3.5/5

Girl Friend Beta
episodes 1-8

Last edited:
Hakata Tonkotsu Ramen eps 10-11 this morning while eating breakfast. I'm really enjoying this series. This, Ancient Magus Bride, and Violet Evergarden are about the only three anime I care anything about this season.

Finished Ancient Magus Bride Ep 24 (End) with my mom this afternoon, nice way to wrap things up for now. Hopefully there will be another season in a few years... This is far and away my top favorite anime of this and last season, near perfect score for me. I've even watched most of the reaction videos on Youtube for this series, with each episode running on my second monitor in sync with the reactor's video on the first, so I've seen all but the last few episodes at least 25 times through, easily... o_O

We then started Shakugan no Shana, and watched eps 1-5. I've owned all the releases for this for quite a few years but never broke the seal on it until today, so we went into this totally blind. It was really strange the first couple episodes, and my mom said she was ready to drop it, but the last two episodes got a little better as we went along, so I guess we'll stick with it for now. I hope it gets more interesting and a bit less strange.

Dragon Ball Super #131 (END for now)

Pretty good ending. Great fight scene in the first half followed by a nice wrap up in the second with a few teases of what is to come. Show may be ending for now but the future looks bright also no EoZ thank the heavens for that!

After the movie premieres in December I predict they show will come back in summer cour of 2019 but with a proper production schedule this time.

Amagami SS (Japanese audio) - Episodes 5-8
Fate/Stay Night 2006 (English dub) - Episodes 5-8
The Vision of Escaflowne (Japanese audio) - Episodes 5-8

Ancient Magus Bride (Sub) Episode 24
Beatless (Sub) Episode 9.5
Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card (Sub) Episode 12
Citrus (Sub) Episode 12
Dagashi Kashi 2 (Sub) Episode 11
Darling in the FranXX (Sub) Episode 11
Katana Maidens (Sub) Episode 12
Killing Bites (Sub) Episode 11
Mitsuboshi Colors (Sub) Episode 12
School Babysitters (Sub) Episode 12
Slow Start (Sub) Episode 12
Takunomi (Sub) Episode 11
The Seven Deadly Sins Revival of the Commandments (Sub) Episode 11
The Seven Heavenly Virtues (Sub) Episode 9

Kokkoku ep 12 (complete)
Citrus ep 12 (complete)
Toji no Miko ep 12
Killing Bites ep 11 12 (complete)

Pop Team Epic ep 12 (complete) - This show was overall quite funny, but for some reason the later episodes and especially the final episode felt really underwhelming.

A Place Further Than The Universe ep 12 - Quite an emotional ride from episode 1, but this episode really left an impact.

ReLIFE OVA ep 1-2
The fact that both Arata and Chizuru are test subjects seems to lead the story to quite a tragic outcome (though I doubt it will end on a sad note). Nevertheless, I still think it would've been better if Chizuru did not turn out to be a test subject, as I really disliked that "twist". :confused:

Last edited:
Kokkoku ep 12 (complete)
Citrus ep 12 (complete)
Toji no Miko ep 12
Killing Bites ep 12 (complete)

Pop Team Epic ep 12 (complete) - This show was overall quite funny, but for some reason the later episodes and especially the final episode felt really underwhelming.

A Place Further Than The Universe ep 12 - Quite an emotional ride from episode 1, but this episode really left an impact.

ReLIFE OVA ep 1-2
The fact that both Arata and Chizuru are test subjects seems to lead the story to quite a tragic outcome (though I doubt it will end on a sad note). Nevertheless, I still think it would've been better if Chizuru did not turn out to be a test subject, as I really disliked that "twist". :confused:

How have you completed Killing Bites when the final ep isnt out until next Friday?

KOKKOKU: Moment by Moment (Japanese audio) - Episode 12 (Complete)

The remaining simulcasts left now:
  • After the Rain - ends Thursday 29th March
  • BEATLESS - continuing through Spring 2018 season
  • Darling in the FRANXX - continuing through Spring 2018 season
  • Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody - ends Thursday 29th March
  • Killing Bites - ends Friday 30th March
  • OVERLORD II - ends Tuesday 3rd April
  • A Place Further Than the Universe - ends Tuesday 27th March
  • Violet Evergarden - ends Thursday 5th April

Back